PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A noob build idea (flame on)

Hey all,

So, I don't even play GW yet, so I'm obviously going to be throwing some crap out there. I decided I'm waiting for nightfall to come out, so until then I've been stuck playing pretend build-maker in my free time.

Obviously, take my build with a grain of salt, and please feel free to tell me why this won't work worth a darn. I just wanted to see what my pseudo-inexperienced naive self could come up with :)

A/Mo:

1. Black Mantis Thrust
    2. Black Lotus Strike
    3. Twisting Fangs (Or Repeating Strike)
    4. Assassin's Promise
    5. Death's Charge
    6. Return
    7. Reversal of Fortune
    8. Mend Condition

So my clueless idea is to sit back and hex a target with Assassin's Promise until it sticks...then Reversal of Fortune, death's charge in, and either fire off 123 or 1233333 (if using repeating strike) until Reversal runs out. Black Mantis cripples if target is hexed, and Lotus will return energy. Use Return to find a safe place, mend condition as many times as necessary, rinse and repeat.

So, how much do I suck?

~J

Not bad. Only the recharge time is harsh if the plan won't go accordingly (IE: promise gets removed, etc.) I like to have a secondary attack plan or 'combo' in case the main one doesn't work. But that's just me.

Oh and, be sure to buy Factions. Or else you can't play as an assassin in Nightfall.
    Last edited by vapour; 18-10-2006 at 11:04.

I was thinking the same thing about the build being sort of a one track wonder. I plan to play something a lot "easier" when I get nightfall, but once I get the hang of that I definitely will get a hold of prophecies and factions.

I had another build in mind involving prot spirit, shadow form, viper's defense and death's charge...but really, I've got nothing real to offer seeing as all my conjecturing is exactly...that.

Thanks for the feedback

~J

The build seems like it may work alright, but you may have a few misconceptions; Reversal Of Fortune is removed once it prevents damage once, and Mend Condition removes conditions from -other- allies only. Also, the duration of assassin's promise may not be long enough to use promise-->teleport, due to the fact that your combo may not kill in one if you do not have support.

You could consider dropping black mantis thrust, as black lotus is linked from Hexed and does not require a lead attack. This would allow you to either take another defensive skill, or consider a standard 4 attack chain: Lotus/Horns/Falling/Twisting. That combo would be fairly unreliable in PvE though, as you would have to ensure you attack a target that does not have any other enemies near it.

You could consider dropping Death's Charge for Dark Prison, as a cover hex and to inflict some slowdown. If you are teleporting in from the backline, chances are you will already be high on health.

Also, bring rezz unless you are playing with just hench. And if you are playing with just hench, you can adjust the build similarly for that - take just a two hit combo (lotus->twisting). Call a target, use promise->prison->lotus->twisting, and chances are enemies will be dead soon enough for promise to trigger.

All in all, you need to adjust a build for an environment and your teammates. The build has the potential to work, but it can be optimised for certain situations to be a lot more useful. You also need to double-check a lot of skill descriptions before putting them into a build, and check to see if there are any better alternatives.

switch mend condition (doesn't work on yourself) and reversal of fortune (without a healthy boost from divine favour or divine boon, RoF is pretty terrible, it just burns through your energy).

I'd replace those RoF with shielding hands, mend condition for anything (CoP would work as a hex/condition remover, used with shielding hands) and BMT for for something.

A further thought, BLS is enough energy management for this build ? with all the Sstepping and recasting you might end out of energy (still, you have a short chain so it might even work).

Quote Originally Posted by Terenas
    A further thought, BLS is enough energy management for this build ? with all the Sstepping and recasting you might end out of energy (still, you have a short chain so it might even work).
    AP is also energy management.
    IGN: Zero Djinn
    Problem that needs immediate attention? IM me

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran6 months registered1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpook
    I plan to play something a lot "easier" when I get nightfall, but once I get the hang of that I definitely will get a hold of prophecies and factions.
    you can't play an assassin with just nightfall. you'll need factions in order to access the assassin character class. then you can take your toon to nightfall and get all the nifty skills [like black spider strike and feigned neutrality].

decent enough build overall. like the others have said though, your monk skills won't give you much benefit at all. maybe mend condition or purge condition would work better. and either vigorous spirit or protective spirit i guess.

and a rez. except for AB.

Seriously? You will let us flame? Score! We are so pleased.

Your problem is that you definitely won't be able to kill anything reliably using just BMT > BLS > TF, and so you'll find your AP failing more often than not. I'd recommend you find another offhand, like Wild Strike or Fox Fangs, and use BLS to link to a quick recharging dual attack like Critical Strike.

Haha...

Yeah, just goes to show I needed to read more carefully, or even *gasp* play before I post up a build.

I realize I need to get factions...when I meant play something "easier" I meant R/E or something. I'm leaving the country on the 27th, so I'll probably have to make an early morning dash to the store before I go. I hate waiting to do something after I've already decided to do it.

~J