PC Gaming News
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    just thought i would post my build here... IT works Extreamly well in pve/pvp.
    has some weaknesses though:

Attributes:
    Curse 10
    Critical 14 (11+3)
    Dagger 13(10+3)

Runes: 1 superior ,1 major

skill list:
    1. Black Lotus Strike (+energy / off-hand)
    2. Black Spider Strike ( psn / off-hand)
    3. Death Blossom (dual / aoe)
    4. Palm Strike (xdmg / off hand) [ELITE]
    5. Critical Eye
    6. Critical Def.
    7. Parasitic bond.
    8. Rez

Strategy:
    Cast Parabond on main target , as you get closer cast Critical eye and Critical def right before you start to hit.
    Strike with (1) then use (3) , strike with (2) then use 3 , Strike with (4) then use (3) , you will have 2-4 seconds to cast parabond on 2 targets and recast critical eye if needed.

Critical eye gives u more chance to do critical aswell as +1 energy when you do this makes the energy gain with (1) give you max energy so the combo is endless. (note: this combo relies on a hex being on foe, with exception of palm strike , though pulling it off is very easy as para bond has short cast time and low cost, Also note: the + dmg alone is 380 per 6 seconds. not to mention the normal dagger dmg, and degen from psn.. so it is very easy to kill someone in a few hits)
    what keeps you alive is the para bond on multiple enemies giving you 90 life every 10 seconds or so , also you block 75% of the attacks as critical defense should be always renewed as long as there are foes nearby.

counters that will kill you:
    1.Being blind really sucks but ... thats the same for any melee class.
    2.High degen will eat away at your health still as always ...
    3. spiteful spirit kills you awefully fast.
    4. Elementals hurt...

soo pretty much same problems you'll face as a warrior.
    5. Relies on a hex
    Last edited by Nadakuu Vaelen; 04-05-2007 at 04:39.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    most links in here are broken.

EDIT: correction - the first page
    Last edited by Barinthus; 04-06-2007 at 15:32.

Greetings.

New to the forums and thought I'd share the main build I run on 80-90% of my PvE outings in GW.

Firstly a disclaimer, I in no way claim to have invented or in any way originated this build.I have searched the forum for it before posting and could find no identical build type but apologies in advance if this build is old hat to any of the regulars/vets here.

This build is based around the basic core principles/archetype of the classic and well known Promise builds that have previously been posted here and on other forums while encompassing what, for me at least, is one of the most drastically class altering skills ever seen in GW PvE, namely Critical Agility the ONLY IAS Sin skill with added +10-25AL.....*drools* which also fits in with your requested archetype theme.

Honestly this one skill has seriously changed my whole play experience especially after re-running missions I previously struggled in close to end game.Use it and love it.

1.Assassin's Promise: Elite Hex Spell. For 5...13 seconds, if target foe dies, you gain 5...17 Energy and all your skills are recharged.

2.Black Spider Strike: Off-Hand Attack. Must strike a Hexed foe. If it hits, this attack strikes for +5...17 damage and target foe is Poisoned for 5...17 seconds.

3.Twisting Fangs:Dual Attack. Must follow an off-hand attack. If it hits, Twisting Fangs strikes for +10...18 damage and struck foe suffers from Bleeding and Deep Wound for 5...17 seconds.

4.Black Lotus Strike: Off-Hand Attack. Must strike a Hexed foe. If it hits, Black Lotus Strike strikes for +10...27 damage and you gain 5...17 Energy.

5.Shadow Refuge: Enchantment Spell. For 4 seconds, you gain 5...9 Health Regeneration. When Shadow Refuge ends, you gain 20...68 Health if you are attacking.

6.Blades of Steel: Dual Attack. Must follow an off-hand attack. If it hits, this attack strikes for +5...14 damage (maximum bonus 60) for each recharging dagger attack.

7.Critical Agility: Enchantment Spell. For 4 seconds and 1 second for each rank of Critical Strikes, you attack 33% faster and gain +10...22 armor. This Skill reapplies itself every time you land a critical hit.

8.Death's Charge: Spell. Shadow Step to target foe. If that foe has more Health than you, you are healed for 40...112. || Situationaly can be swapped with Dark Prison for an AP cover hex if required || Hard Rez/ Sig if required.

The premise/strategy of the build is basically the same as any other Promise build with the exception of a bigger spike at higher speed at the sacrifice of the often used Expose Defenses/Way of the Fox although a 3 chain attack is perfectly viable if your up against Mobs that require unblockable damage.

With the IAS and use of BOS in this build I have found it far superior in terms of solo spiking to previous AP based builds with far less dependency on focus/support fire to trigger AP's pay off.

Usage:

Select a target, cast Critical Agility followed by AP and step in with DC.Run the attack chain which should either drop or close to drop your target (with 33% constant IAS your end melee is also far more applicable in the feel and DPS of the overall build).With 33% IAS Critical Agility should'nt need to be worried about in terms of refreshing itself, you should have had at least one crit in the chain, hence rinse and repeat from casting AP onwards while using Shadow Refuge before stepping if a added heal is needed.

Pros:

-Fast and furious DPS and condition spam with constant attack chain renewal, integrated self-heals and +10-25AL (dependant of course on your Sunspear Rank).

-When running smoothly your getting massive energy return.Vampiric is a great option once you get slick with the build.

Cons:

-Reliance on AP returning.

-Like any Promise build this is only good for one chain against high lvl bosses, after that your in down time.Parasitic Bond can be used for a quicker hex but to be honest I'd run an entirely different build in boss heavy levels or if your out capping unless you and your team have no issues in you running one chain on a boss and back-lining till your charged.I PvE more with guildies/friends so it's not really an issue for me but will be more so for those that PuG a lot.

-No condition/hex removal, SS in particular will obviously pwn you if you keep attacking, but I'm assuming you have at least one monk in your team for that role.

-Hex removal = goodnight.

You can use Dark Prison as a cover hex but I've found it to be a gamble against most anti-hex mob groups with both usually being stripped before AP's return.With such a single hex dependent build it's a gamble.The extra 5 cost can also have an effect on your chain speed depending on what gear you run although putting BLS higher up in the chain can help with this.

-Enchantment removal = drop of CA, by no means a build killer but slows your DPS and will probably require the assistance of focus fire to get AP's return for a recast.

Alternates/Switch Outs

If your teamed with a few good healers you know well and can afford to lose Shadow Refuge this build is even more devastating with much larger spike potential and AOE to boot.

Conclusion:

Basically this eats Mobs at insane speed with minimal risk through a large chunk of all 3 campaigns content.You will quickly get used to running at a near-constant IAS of 33% and to date this is without doubt the most enjoyable and devastating PvE build I've used that has really breathed new life into the survivability and DPS output of my Sin.

Obviously it has it's equally obvious weaknesses as all builds do but I also assume, like me, you are running different builds based on consideration of Mob type and what your goal at the time is.When considering such requirements this build still gets a lot of use by me, the majority of my PvE Sin game time in fact.

I would however state again that I PvE with mostly guildies or friends where we ping builds and discuss quickly what our tactics are per run/mission/quest.Clear communication and planning of needs, wants, and weaknesses by team-mates in conjunction with build pings have also played a MAJOR role in my success with this build and also explains my lack of rez sig in favour of higher DPS in most cases as discussed/agreed on in team.

Cheers and good luck in game.

:)

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyry View Post
    Greetings.

New to the forums and thought I'd share the main build I run on 80-90% of my PvE outings in GW.

Firstly a disclaimer, I in no way claim to have invented or in any way originated this build.I have searched the forum for it before posting and could find no identical build type but apologies in advance if this build is old hat to any of the regulars/vets here.

This build is based around the basic core principles/archetype of the classic and well known Promise builds that have previously been posted here and on other forums while encompassing what, for me at least, is one of the most drastically class altering skills ever seen in GW PvE, namely Critical Agility the ONLY IAS Sin skill with added +10-25AL.....*drools* which also fits in with your requested archetype theme.

Honestly this one skill has seriously changed my whole play experience especially after re-running missions I previously struggled in close to end game.Use it and love it.

1.Assassin's Promise: Elite Hex Spell. For 5...13 seconds, if target foe dies, you gain 5...17 Energy and all your skills are recharged.

2.Black Spider Strike: Off-Hand Attack. Must strike a Hexed foe. If it hits, this attack strikes for +5...17 damage and target foe is Poisoned for 5...17 seconds.

3.Twisting Fangs:Dual Attack. Must follow an off-hand attack. If it hits, Twisting Fangs strikes for +10...18 damage and struck foe suffers from Bleeding and Deep Wound for 5...17 seconds.

4.Black Lotus Strike: Off-Hand Attack. Must strike a Hexed foe. If it hits, Black Lotus Strike strikes for +10...27 damage and you gain 5...17 Energy.

5.Shadow Refuge: Enchantment Spell. For 4 seconds, you gain 5...9 Health Regeneration. When Shadow Refuge ends, you gain 20...68 Health if you are attacking.

6.Blades of Steel: Dual Attack. Must follow an off-hand attack. If it hits, this attack strikes for +5...14 damage (maximum bonus 60) for each recharging dagger attack.

7.Critical Agility: Enchantment Spell. For 4 seconds and 1 second for each rank of Critical Strikes, you attack 33% faster and gain +10...22 armor. This Skill reapplies itself every time you land a critical hit.

8.Death's Charge: Spell. Shadow Step to target foe. If that foe has more Health than you, you are healed for 40...112. || Situationaly can be swapped with Dark Prison for an AP cover hex if required || Hard Rez/ Sig if required.

The premise/strategy of the build is basically the same as any other Promise build with the exception of a bigger spike at higher speed at the sacrifice of the often used Expose Defenses/Way of the Fox although a 3 chain attack is perfectly viable if your up against Mobs that require unblockable damage.

With the IAS and use of BOS in this build I have found it far superior in terms of solo spiking to previous AP based builds with far less dependency on focus/support fire to trigger AP's pay off.

Usage:

Select a target, cast Critical Agility followed by AP and step in with DC.Run the attack chain which should either drop or close to drop your target (with 33% constant IAS your end melee is also far more applicable in the feel and DPS of the overall build).With 33% IAS Critical Agility should'nt need to be worried about in terms of refreshing itself, you should have had at least one crit in the chain, hence rinse and repeat from casting AP onwards while using Shadow Refuge before stepping if a added heal is needed.

Pros:

-Fast and furious DPS and condition spam with constant attack chain renewal, integrated self-heals and +10-25AL (dependant of course on your Sunspear Rank).

-When running smoothly your getting massive energy return.Vampiric is a great option once you get slick with the build.

Cons:

-Reliance on AP returning.

-Like any Promise build this is only good for one chain against high lvl bosses, after that your in down time.Parasitic Bond can be used for a quicker hex but to be honest I'd run an entirely different build in boss heavy levels or if your out capping unless you and your team have no issues in you running one chain on a boss and back-lining till your charged.I PvE more with guildies/friends so it's not really an issue for me but will be more so for those that PuG a lot.

-No condition/hex removal, SS in particular will obviously pwn you if you keep attacking, but I'm assuming you have at least one monk in your team for that role.

-Hex removal = goodnight.

You can use Dark Prison as a cover hex but I've found it to be a gamble against most anti-hex mob groups with both usually being stripped before AP's return.With such a single hex dependent build it's a gamble.The extra 5 cost can also have an effect on your chain speed depending on what gear you run although putting BLS higher up in the chain can help with this.

-Enchantment removal = drop of CA, by no means a build killer but slows your DPS and will probably require the assistance of focus fire to get AP's return for a recast.

Alternates/Switch Outs

If your teamed with a few good healers you know well and can afford to lose Shadow Refuge this build is even more devastating with much larger spike potential and AOE to boot.

Conclusion:

Basically this eats Mobs at insane speed with minimal risk through a large chunk of all 3 campaigns content.You will quickly get used to running at a near-constant IAS of 33% and to date this is without doubt the most enjoyable and devastating PvE build I've used that has really breathed new life into the survivability and DPS output of my Sin.

Obviously it has it's equally obvious weaknesses as all builds do but I also assume, like me, you are running different builds based on consideration of Mob type and what your goal at the time is.When considering such requirements this build still gets a lot of use by me, the majority of my PvE Sin game time in fact.

I would however state again that I PvE with mostly guildies or friends where we ping builds and discuss quickly what our tactics are per run/mission/quest.Clear communication and planning of needs, wants, and weaknesses by team-mates in conjunction with build pings have also played a MAJOR role in my success with this build and also explains my lack of rez sig in favour of higher DPS in most cases as discussed/agreed on in team.

Cheers and good luck in game.

:)

What are your attributes set to?

I'm just starting out as an Assassin and I'm finding this thread to be very helpful. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind fixing the links in the first few pages. They no longer work now that the site has switched domains.

Thanks,

Belzan

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Great builds, fireflyry :O!

The first one is very similar to my favorite build, except I use Shadow Fang as a in/out shadow step, with Mending Touch instead of Shadow Refuge as self-support.

As for the second one it looks very promising, specially in mob areas so I might give it a try :D

Quote Originally Posted by shaktiboi View Post
    Barrage-based crits rivals the energy efficiency of a high Expertise Ranger primary.
    The damage output however, is only sub par compared to a primary Ranger running Splinter Barrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathardia View Post
    The damage output however, is only sub par compared to a primary Ranger running Splinter Barrage.
    Check the date. At the time of the OP, Sharpen Daggers was better, giving the A/R enhanced damage through mass-bleeding, meanwhile, Splinter Weapon was awful, since it only worked on the next 1 attack, making Splinter-Barrage non-existent. The damage output was similar.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Well there goes my favorite build. Even if I replace BLS with GPS, I still need that extra energy to continue the combo after DP. He's to hoping not specifically that they return BLS to the way it was, but rather to make it useful and balanced, since right now its worthless.

Been a while since any examples were posted here hence I thought I'd share my PvE (HM) main over the last few months with the main archetype revolving around the old hat MS/DB combo and the newer and more godly spam of "Save Yourselves!":

Description:

Pretty self-explanatory really as the core build is merely basic variation on any MS/DB combo with CE to keep energy up and CA refreshed.For me the defining archetype is the use of SY-spam to keep your team near-godly taking huge pressure off the team, in particular it's back line, hence the lack of self-heal and rez.

SY = 80% reduction to all armor effected damage hence perma SY on your team can truly have a dramatic effect on the majority of game play especially in HM and with CA giving you perma +33% IAS in conjunction with an adrenal gain skill via yourself or party members you can spam this skill on your team better than any other class in the game.

There are obvious factors such as skill rank and team build involved to keep SY perma but I would advise at least one party-wide adrenal gain skill in the team.

Usage:

Cast CA pre aggro and CE while running to engage, use the chain until spamming DB/MS while also spamming SY as soon as it's charged.

Pros:

-Unblockable stance breaking and lead in to DB/MS loop.

-E-management easily taken care of via CA combined with CE.

-Huge PBAoE DPS

-Perma +100 armor to your team via "Save Yourselves" spam, this can be insanely godly.

-Exceptional synergy with certain Paragon builds due to the near endless ending and refreshing of SY, obviously more applicable to H/H than pugging.

Cons:

-Any anti-melee conditions or hexes, more so those that effect adrenaline gain, IAS, or movement speed.

-Enchantment stripping = gg

-Dependant on other team members for healing.This build can epic fail in PuG's as Sins are often low on the heal/prot priority list and spamming SY will garner you a lot more aggro.

Optional Slot/Switch-Outs:

I only use this build with guildies, friends or H/H and as such the optional slot is usually filled by "Ebon Battle Standard of Honor" as I have no requirement for self-heals and the extra DPS is great especially with casters.

Other variations:

Critical Defenses:Good for defense but be aware that you also gain adrenaline via damage taken so this may effect the ability to keep SY up.

Assassin's Remedy:Great in EotN as condition spam is rife but tbh condition removal should be covered by your backline in PvE.If not they are doing it wrong.

For Great Justice:My teams or H/H usually have adrenal gain skills but if your struggling to keep your team perma-SY this may be the answer.

Self-Heals:I don't need it but obviously dependent on your team build you may want to slot one.

Rez:Your call, personally Sins slotting a rez make me cringe.

GPS:I've tried this build with GPS to gain a slot but tbh in testing it just was'nt as effective especially if a target is already low health.More often than not I found myself waiting around for GPS to charge and have found the given L-OH-Dual example far more effective overall especially in concerns to keeping SY perma which is the focus of this build.

Conclusion:

This build is basically my bread and butter in GW these days although I admit to only really playing HM anymore so I'm unsure of the effect lower lvl mobs would have on perma-SY as they obviously attack slower with lower DPS which effects the adrenaline gain to fuel perma-SY.

In saying the DB/MS combo is self-explanatory in it's effectiveness and the unblockable lead-in seems to work far more effectively than exchanging it for a GPS/extra slot bar.

As such I've really enjoyed playing this build and have found it both useful and appreciated in most teams and GW in general.

Cheers.
    Last edited by fireflyry; 30-06-2008 at 07:48.