PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member

Questions about PUP/TE

Hey, sorry to bother...
    I tried searching around but I couldn't find a clear answer. Maybe I haven't looked at the right places or something so if a thread with the answers I seek already exist, please give me a link or some short summary.

So, it's been a while I haven't played GW or stayed up-to-date with what was happening and I recently heard about the PUP's and the "Tournament" edition. (Not even sure if it's official)

While I think the Tournament Edition sounds like a good alternative for PvP-centric players, it's not really for me. The PUP's however, sound good BUT only if the answers to my following questions please me.

Would "unlocking all skills" mean that I could buy any of them at a Skill Trainer with a starting character?

My first character was a W/Mo and I unlocked most skills for both classes. I remember the first trainers had only a few skills to teach me, so I couldn't get them all till much later in the game. Later, I started a Monk and noticed that the first trainer in Ascalon City could teach me a whole bunch of skills. Is it because I had "unlocked" them? Or is it because of some patch? Would buying the PUP's allow me to unlock them all in the same way?

What I like to do is check out ALL skills for a class and then plan a build accordingly. It's kinda sad when I find out that I have to reach location X to get that one skill my whole build revolves around. And on the other hand, I enjoy the PvE portion of the game so I don't want to just skip it all. I'd like to make a solid build from the start, buying the skills I need/want, and then go through PvE that way, buying a few skills along the way when I deem them necessary for specific missions or quests.

I hope I was clear in my questions. (I'm from Quebec, don't flame me. )

Thanks for your answers, and I really hope it would allow me to do what I wanna do!

To check all skills from a class you can go to a Priest of Balthazar in a PvP area (map to the Great Temple of Balthazar with the boat near Lion's Arch).

There was an update that let you buy skills you've unlocked before earlier then normal. I thought, though, that this only applied to trainers after Lion's Arch... I'd have to check on that.

In PvE, you can only buy skills for the chapter you are in at the time. For example, if you have unlocked all skills for Prophecies and Factions, you'll be able to buy any core or prophecies skill in Ascalon, but not any factions skills. In Shing Jea, in Factions, you'll be able to buy any Factions or Core skills, but not any prophecies skills.

Also, try posting in the Quesitons Forum for more, faster answers to questions.

Edit: checked, and it is any skill trainer, not any trainer after LA.
    Last edited by Drec Sutal; 24-10-2006 at 20:53.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drec Sutal
    There was an update that let you buy skills you've unlocked before earlier then normal. I thought, though, that this only applied to trainers after Lion's Arch... I'd have to check on that.

Edit: checked, and it is any skill trainer, not any trainer after LA.
    That's good. But then my question remains:
    Woud unlocking the skills with a PUP work in the same way?
    Could I buy any unlocked skill from the start?

Thanks for the quick answer, though. :)
    I hope someone can confirm.

GWOnline.Net Member
    If you start a character in Prophecies, you can buy any skill you have unlocked (for that char's primary and secondary professions) from the skill trainer in Ascaalon. Elite skills can NOT be purchased this way, they must still be capped from the respective bosses.

This only applies to that chapter's specific skills. You won't be able to buy a Factions-Only skills from the Skill Trainer in Ascalon; you'll need to travel to Kaineng Center to do this. So if your desired build has skills from diferent chapters, it'll still be tricky to get them... Unless they update the skill trainer in the GH, of course.

It is likely that this mechanism will continue through Elona, but it isn't certain. We'l lknow when Nightfall comes out. ;)

Edit: As long as the skills are unlocked I don't believe there is any discrimination as to how they were unlocked; you should be able to purchase them from the trainers regardless of unlocking them yourself or buying an unlock pack. I think.
    Last edited by Tenevora; 24-10-2006 at 21:45.

To answer your question, No, the Player Unlock Packs do not work in PvE. If you buy the unlocks it is only for PvP toons only and will not unlock them in PvE.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I kind of expected Elite Skills would have to be captured instead of bought, and I'd be happy if it works as Tenevora says.

But, Merlin, what makes you say that? What is your source? Give me a link or something please.

EDIT: Not sure if I was clear enough about this but I'm talking about the PUP (Player Unlock Pack) and not the upcoming PvP/Tournament Edition. I'm well aware that the latter is PvP-only and only grants the player PvP elements.
    Last edited by Selverein; 24-10-2006 at 22:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Selverein
    I kind of expected Elite Skills would have to be captured instead of bought, and I'd be happy if it works as Tenevora says.

But, Merlin, what makes you say that? What is your source? Give me a link or something please.

EDIT: Not sure if I was clear enough about this but I'm talking about the PUP (Player Unlock Pack) and not the upcoming PvP/Tournament Edition. I'm well aware that the latter is PvP-only and only grants the player PvP elements.
    http://www.guildwars.com/support/gameupdates/

Update - Thursday August 31

Players can now purchase PvP Unlock Packs for Prophecies Campaign skills through the online store.

Taken from Guildwars.com

the unlock pack would have unlocked them all for buying at any skill trainer, yes.
    note that elites would still need to be captured because pve characters cannot buy elites.

i say 'would have' because as far as i know the unlock packs are no longer available now that the PVP edition is out. The pvp edition should unlock everything the same way though.

GWOnline.Net Member
    1. The PUP's do not exist anymore, they have been phased out for the PvP Editions which cost the same anyways so doesn't make much of a difference. They were released yesterday. (The only difference between the PUP and the PvP edition is the PvP edition can be bought without owning the chapter it's for)

2. It does not matter which way it's unlocked, just aslong as it's unlocked. So buying the PvP editions over an account that already has the campaign will let you buy the skills at any skill trainer. Just aslong as they are not elite skills.

Agreed with the above posters, all skills unlocked = a PvE character can buy the skills from any trainer. Assuming you own the full version of the game on top of the PvP Edition, of course.