PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member

New to Guild Wars - Info plz

Hey guys. I heard the level cap for this game was level 20.. was just wondering how long it takes to get to 20 in this game (hours or weeks w/e).

Also was wondering if this game is completely clean.. is there a bunch of hacked stuff like in diablo 2?

Also i was reading about Nightfall on Best buy and it said "Guild Wars Nightfall is a stand-alone" does this mean I DO NOT need the original guild wars & expansion to play it?

the maximum level is 20, anything before that is just the tutorial, basically. It takes about 10 ours of playing to get to level 20. Your character advances by acquiring new skills, and you advance by learning the tactics of the game.
    Yes, the game is completely clean, there is absolutely no item or character hacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshnez
    Hey guys. I heard the level cap for this game was level 20.. was just wondering how long it takes to get to 20 in this game (hours or weeks w/e).

Also was wondering if this game is completely clean.. is there a bunch of hacked stuff like in diablo 2?
    Depending on which one you bought how fast you get to level 20 depends. Either way it should not take you longer than 1-2 weeks if you play everyday maybe not even that depending on your play style.

As far as I know there are no hacked items/stuff at all in guild wars.

GWOnline.Net Member
    thanks for the answers guys! i have one final one if thats okay.. on best-buy it said its a standalone game... my knowledge of that tells me that means that i do not have to have the other Guild wars games before i can play Nightfall... true or false? ..and could i buy the normal guild wars say tommorow and would i need to buy nightfall to keep playing 1 day later?
    Last edited by Freshnez; 24-10-2006 at 23:56.

It depends on what game you're playing. In Prophecies, it took me around three weeks to reach level 20, but I was moving at a very slow pace. In Factions, it's more like 1 week, or even as little as a day or two if you really rush through the starter area. Nightfall is more of a happy medium.

Don't let the low level-cap turn you off. All it means is that you become powerful enough to play in the high-level areas sooner. Much of the game, particularly in Factions, is geared towards level 20 players. Level 1-19 are more of a training/tutorial period than anything else.

And yes, the game is clean- there are people in towns who claim to help people dupe their items, but instead they just steal the player's items for themselves. If there was an exploit to somehow abuse items, ANet would close it VERY quickly.

In answer to your second post, you do not need any campaign to play any other campaign. So if you wanted to, you could go buy Nightfall when it comes out on Friday, and buy Prophecies and/or Factions later on if you decided you liked it.

(By the way, for future reference this might be more appropriate for the Newcomer and Questions Forum.)

GWOnline.Net Member
    Depends on the game, Prophecies has a slow rate of leveling, maybe take a week to reach level 20 if you rush. Factions would probably take less than a day if you rush, couple of days going at it normally. We have been told that Nightfall will have a slower rate than Factions as that was simply too fast so that'll be a about a day or 2 if you rush.

The game is pretty clean, I've never heard of any hacked aps for it and most bugs or exploits that become apparant get thrown out of the game before you even know it half the time.

The Guild Wars series are stand alone products meaning you do not need the original to play them but they can be added to existing accounts as expansions for existing characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshnez
    thanks for the answers guys! i have one final one if thats okay.. on best-buy it said its a standalone game... my knowledge of that tells me that means that i do not have to have the other Guild wars games before i can play Nightfall... true or false?
    that's true.

you can play only what you own.

buy prophecies, play prophecies only
    buy prop & fact, play both
    buy night fall and factions, play both.
    but night fall, play night fall only.

GWOnline.Net Member
    hmm thats weird... so people specifically play one of the 3 games.. its not a continuation?

"..and could i buy the normal guild wars say tommorow and would i need to buy nightfall to keep playing 1 day later?"

No. If you buy any chapter of Guild Wars, you will never need to buy other chapters to continue playing the one you bought. Once you have bought your game, that's it - no more to pay to play that game.

Three different continents, you can only access continents you have purchased the chapter for. You can however keep on playing the continents you have purchased for your account for as long as the servers are switched on.