PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member

Is monk right for me?

I heard that monks are very good in PvP. I plan on starting this game tonight or tommrow and wonder if this is true. Also would a monk be good combined with a warrior? and which should be the primary / secondary profession?

Also what spells / build (im not sure how this works yet) would i do for a melee type tank?

Sounds like you want to make a warrior. there are a bunch of different builds over in the warrior forum.

EDIT: As a monk you will most then likely need to learn to get used to watching red bars go up and down.. and keep said bars red....
    Last edited by MoonUnit; 25-10-2006 at 15:59.

^ QFT...

though I have fun with guildies and ran a prot/smite build.. that as hilarious watching the mobs attacking our tank endlessly gettin pwnt by SoJ, Empathy SS and our nuker... good times good times...

Well, if you want people to convince you that Monks are for you, you're probably in the right place, as everyone here likely enjoys playing them. I'd recommend you ask around somewhere a little less...biased.

In reality, a good player can take any character and make it serviceable. Somewhere waaaay back in the days of yore, I seem to remember a certain high-ranking guild destroying the Tomb of the Primeval Kings with 8 pre-made Paladin builds, just because they understood the game and had good communication.

Some people will tell you that Monks are the "best", or "most powerful", class. Some people will tell you they are "necessary". Truth is, Monks are what you make of 'em. There have been builds running rampant since near the beginning of time that are utterly Monkless. There have been 8-monk builds that have held the Hall of Heroes for hours on end.

So basically, Monks are good at
    -Keeping people alive
    -Healing people (corollary to the first--note that they are not the same thing, though)
    -Removing hexes (Mesmers are better)
    -Removing conditions
    -slow-casting, but armor-piercing spike damage (recently replaced almost entirely by the oh-so-popular Blood Spike)
    -Soloing PvE areas
    -Duoing PvE areas
    -Being secondary classes (Won't see too many /W or /N out there. Most of the time it's either Monk or Mesmer)
    -Being primary classes (as any Monk worth his salt will tell you)
    -probably some more I've forgotten.

Among all this, you could make one hell of a tank, as seems to be your desire, but you will need a high degree of concentration, a lot of experience, and a party who won't reject you instantaneously (assuming you want to play with a party).

Monks have been combined with Warriors since the beginning. They are the whipping-boy of choice for the general PvE community. The so-called "whammos" are generally stereotyped as being dumber than rocks and having large amounts of testosterone, thus rushing off into enemies without the rest of the party, even when it means certain death. The build can be made to work, as can any in Guild Wars. It's really up to the player behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonUnit
    EDIT: As a monk you will most then likely need to learn to get used to watching red bars go up and down.. and keep said bars red....
    Actually, you'll find that the best Monks are those that learn to stop watching said bars and look at the mythical "other part of the screen".

--me

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger6 months registered1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporeal Ghost
    Actually, you'll find that the best Monks are those that learn to stop watching said bars and look at the mythical "other part of the screen".
    Adventuring with henchies (without Alesia) helps in that regard: Directing the brainless little pests and keeping them alive, while staying alive yourself. Can't be accomplished with the "red bar tunnel vision", and also not by the slightly wider "red bar + radar tunnel vision".

Adventuring with random strangers has more exciting moments ("what can you do with a split up party?" / "what can you do with a healsig+frenzy clad in starter armor?" / "what can you do with that crazy caster 'tank'?"), but directing the henchie bots is more educating.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporeal Ghost
    Yes I know I am quite adept at keeping an eye on MY aggro as well as whatever is around me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lytha
    Adventuring with henchies (without Alesia) helps in that regard: Directing the brainless little pests and keeping them alive, while staying alive yourself. Can't be accomplished with the "red bar tunnel vision", and also not by the slightly wider "red bar + radar tunnel vision".

Adventuring with random strangers has more exciting moments ("what can you do with a split up party?" / "what can you do with a healsig+frenzy clad in starter armor?" / "what can you do with that crazy caster 'tank'?"), but directing the henchie bots is more educating.
    Very good advice Lytha.

Just a note on PvP monkery - PvP is generally not about individual professions being "good" - even in the random arenas there is a general team structure. It is true that monks offer something to the PvP scene which no profession can truly top for the team, and few can manage for themselves.

However, they do not generally press enter mission, and 5 seconds later have a field of dead bodies around them, while screaming "n00bs". Actually, in random arena they usually do. But not in a good way.

Additionally, for a new player I recommend that you stay away from combining the monk and warrior professions. It is easy to make foolish mistakes from the combination, which a newer player should try to avoid.

To conclude: PvP isn't about how much an individual pwns, monks are USUALLY healer-roles, few can beat them at said role (although they aren't very popular for tanking in a team), and whammo or mowwah is not your friend.

Have fun.

Dallcingi
    -Monks can spike smite too! (in HA... its pretty deadly)

GWOnline.Net Member
    just started GW and bought nightfall (dont have the other 2) and was thinking

Monk/paragon

crappy build, or will it work ?

i have to select my secondary soon according to the NPCs, im lvl 3 now, and para seems the most interesting

If you are going to start playing Monk learn it in PvE first not just jump in it in PvP.It is not easy when you can't keep a group alive or protected and for the most part most Monks started in PvE.It is the best way to learn and I have seen quite a few Mo/W around and I am one myself from presearing on.