PC Gaming News
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Oh sorry for the double post but I have to post this. The people saying there was no rank discrimination in HA have no idea what they are talking about in my opinion. I am R7 and I couldn't get into R9+ teams to save my life so GG.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamWind View Post
    Oh sorry for the double post but I have to post this. The people saying there was no rank discrimination in HA have no idea what they are talking about in my opinion. I am R7 and I couldn't get into R9+ teams to save my life so GG.
    You see, thats because: If you are r7 and it is a r9+, and you were to join then it would no longer be a r9+ team. (That would make it r7+)

I don't think people understand this, and it really bothers me. Do you people even understand what it means..? Rank Three Plus, Rank Six Plus, Rank Nine Plus. It means that rank (not less than that rank), and above. So, what you might find on a r9+ team would be: r9, r10, r11, r12, r13, r14 (and so on), you would not find a r8 - simply because then it would be a r8+ team.

I suppose if the majority of the team is a certain rank you could call it a "Rank (insert rank) group", but not a "Rank (insert rank)+ group."

Just had to clear that up, it bothers me.

By the way, of course rank discrimination exists. Discrimination exists everywhere, you are at a certain level of play and you want to play with others at your level of play. You don't see the NFL drafting Middle School students do you.? Theres a reason for that!

Its the same concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn Effer View Post
    By the way, of course rank discrimination exists. Discrimination exists everywhere, you are at a certain level of play and you want to play with others at your level of play. You don't see the NFL drafting Middle School students do you.? Theres a reason for that!

Its the same concept.
    Of course it exists, and its one reason a lot of people don't play HA. I was just stating it for the people who said it didn't exist.

By your definition though, only R12+ should be allowed in HA because that is NFL calibur players. Of course we know then HA would be a dead zone.

Of course it exists, and its one reason a lot of people don't play HA. I was just stating it for the people who said it didn't exist.

By your definition though, only R12+ should be allowed in HA because that is NFL calibur players. Of course we know then HA would be a dead zone.
    unranked=non-starting freshman
    r3-4=starting varsity high school HA player
    r5=minor college
    r6-7=ranked college
    r8-10=average NFL player
    r11+=peyton manning calibur player

thats how I would put my rankings of HA to the NFL

Its more along the lines of.. If you were an NFL player, you would think a Middle Schooler would be a huge disadvantage to have on your team - and it would be. Its the same for HA, if you are rank (insert rank) you wouldn't want a (insert a rank several tiers lower) in your team, as it would also be a huge disadvantage. Its the same in retrospect, because with rank comes knowledge (at least in most occasions.) of maps, tactics, strategies, and so on. More rank, more knowledge generally. Rank may not equal skill, but it does at least signify that person's knowledge of the game time. It'd be hard as hell getting to r9 never knowing what you're supposed to do in a relic run, no?

Well, some people don't know what you're supposed to do in relic runs and I'm sure they'll eventually learn. But my point is across effectively, I think, so I'll be stopping now.

All the rank discrimination problem is compleatly non-existant. Its not an issue at all. Everyone was rank zero at the begining. I'll tell you my story - I started playing the game very, very late ( january 2006 ), I started pvp'ing around may 2006 - when there already were r12 people and all the social network of PVP players was already created. I was complete newcomer. But still, being rank ZERO I was able to find some friends and quickly build a large group of friends. Right now I'm very close to rank 9. Not because I grinded day and night. Just because I wanted to TRY, and I wasnt afraid of other human beings. Just because I like other people and I like to play with people. When you're nice person, who is able to communicate and socialize with others, rank isnt a problem. I won the HOH for the first time when I was rank ONE monk, monking for rank NINE PLUS team ( kudos to Almas Darksoul and old British Bulldogs [DOGS] crew ). Rank discrimination? Where???
    I have to agree with Nurse here. I myself am rank 5 (100 fame away from rank 6). Yes, Djinn, I'm sure you find the rest of my post unneccesary to read, but you're a minority when it comes to high ranked players discriminating against me. I too, like Nurse, have played with or against top players in the HA community. Rank discrimination doesn't exist. Ability is all that HAers look at, and only PuGs (which you shouldn't aspire to join anyway) will discriminate against you. I've been in good guilds like sP (Wallace and Bella taking me in, teaching me some of the basics of HA pvp), and then from there, established my friend network and moved to other guilds like StP (one of the top HA euro guilds ... or at least they were pre-6v6 nerf), mYm (included some of the old Mush players, and was merged with ImK at one time) and ImK (my current guild). I've also had the pleasure of playing with TasH (thanks to Almas and Dazz for letting me guest with them) and Pew to mention some. Keep in mind that most of those guilds have members that are r9+ (except Pew, who recruit r6+). At any point when you see a good team in HA I've played either with them or against them (and most probably beaten them as well). Does this prove that I'm a good player? No, but it proves that rank discrimination is non-existant to those who want to play in HA. If you can't find a group, if you can't get anybody to take you in it's your own fault.

P.S. I started looking at PvP seriously around July or August of this year.
    My freedom is in my blood, my freedom is in my pain, my freedom is in my love, my freedom is in my will. - Ю.Г.
    A written word is the choicest of relics. It is something at once more intimate with us and more universal than any other work of art. It is the work of art nearest to life itself. - Thoreau, Walden
    Zieg Divine Mo/N | Miranda Divine R/Me | Zieg On Acid N/Mo (PvP)

Quote Originally Posted by ZiegDivine View Post
    (...)I myself am rank 5 (100 fame away from rank 6).
    (...)
    Yes, Djinn, I'm sure you find the rest of my post unneccesary to read, but you're a minority when it comes to high ranked players discriminating against me.
    (...)
    Rank discrimination doesn't exist.
    (...)
    You just broke your own argument. How on earth would I discriminate against your rank if rank discrimination does not exist? Theres a good question.

You are one of the lucky people that get into higher ranked groups via friends, rather than rank. You are never asked your rank because your friend's friends assume that said friend would not get someone bad to come play. It makes sense too, it would make him/her lose with everyone else so it would make no sense to bring in a horrible liability.

A lot of people, however do not have this luxury. Not many high ranked people take in low ranked people under their wing either. Why? Its a lot of work, more than that... Its frustrating at times. There are usually very seemingly obvious questions that are asked quite frequently and a lot of silly mistakes are made, which does tend to get on people's nerves. Bravo to those that have the patience to do this, they are truely noble and patient individuals.

I will not pretend to be a saint; I do not have the patience to do this, most people do not. I cannot stand inexperienced players, I really can't. After playing for so much time and learning things for yourself, you don't want to have to go and in turn have to go through all of that frustration again with someone else. Or at least I don't.

I'm sorry.

(P.S. Zieg, I don't find the rest of your post unnecessary to read, however incorrect and inconsistent it may be. I don't recall you ever claiming to be a pro, leet, experienced player that's opinion matters cause they have the experience. - kind of like a 1st year med school student performing brain surgery.)
    Last edited by Djinn Effer; 05-11-2006 at 00:39.

I phrased that wrong. In an HA setting rank discrimination exists ... only for those that don't want to try to get past it (and that's illustrated by the rest of my post). Sorry for a misunderstanding.

Djinn, I do have to agree with you that most unranked or low ranked players are either inexperienced or make silly mistakes. For me, I learned the most about HA specific tactics and strategies before I hit rank 3, and the rest of the time, I learned more and more about how to play my own class (monk) rather than anything HA specific. It is true that some players do not have that knowledge, however I believe that it's their own fault. ANet should not be holding somebody else's hand, just because some FoW armor W/Mo wants a shiny deer. I didn't get any help from ANet forming my flist, finding people who don't think that my deer (or my pre-deer) indicates my noobness. I became a good player on my own (yes, I think that I'm a good player ... you can quote me on that) and everybody else should not get the a deer, that I worked to earn, handed to them.

P.S. It's not that I'm not asked my rank ... I flash my deer freely when we win halls. The groups that I'm in just don't care, that's all.
    Last edited by ZiegDivine; 05-11-2006 at 01:07.
    My freedom is in my blood, my freedom is in my pain, my freedom is in my love, my freedom is in my will. - Ю.Г.
    A written word is the choicest of relics. It is something at once more intimate with us and more universal than any other work of art. It is the work of art nearest to life itself. - Thoreau, Walden
    Zieg Divine Mo/N | Miranda Divine R/Me | Zieg On Acid N/Mo (PvP)

Quote Originally Posted by ZiegDivine View Post
    I phrased that wrong. In an HA setting rank discrimination exists ... only for those that don't want to try to get past it (and that's illustrated by the rest of my post). Sorry for a misunderstanding.

Djinn, I do have to agree with you that most unranked or low ranked players are either inexperienced or make silly mistakes. For me, I learned the most about HA specific tactics and strategies before I hit rank 3, and the rest of the time, I learned more and more about how to play my own class (monk) rather than anything HA specific. It is true that some players do not have that knowledge, however I believe that it's their own fault. ANet should not be holding somebody else's hand, just because some FoW armor W/Mo wants a shiny deer. I didn't get any help from ANet forming my flist, finding people who don't think that my deer (or my pre-deer) indicates my noobness. I became a good player on my own (yes, I think that I'm a good player ... you can quote me on that) and everybody else should not get the a deer, that I worked to earn, handed to them.

P.S. It's not that I'm not asked my rank ... I flash my deer freely when we win halls. The groups that I'm in just don't care, that's all.
    Yeah, a lot of people do suck and that is why the discrimination occurs, which it in fact does occur whether you can get around it or not. If I am rich because I have made good choices, that does not mean poverty does not exist; not at all.

Yes, exactly and what you are doing is what everyone else should be doing. (By the way, rank /= skill. A rank 0 player could be better than a r12, like I say.. Rank is experience and knowledge, not skill.)

It is their fault, it really is. A lot of people want to get better, but don't want to try hard to do it. (Our children that said their ideal future job would be lotto winners.)

From your experience with your deer, you can also see how I personally, get upset at FOTMs and people who use them. I worked hard for my first two tigers, even harder for my third which I don't have yet (r8 on that account). It really bothers me that you consciously try to improve and get better, and do.. Where as these people just click a couple buttons, do not improve, do not learn anything but do what you've done. (in terms of fame anyway) Thats the main reason I had/have a problem with IWAY. That is the reason I refused to spirit spam with MS, when I was in it. It is frustrating, but in the end.. Thats how things work. The thing is though, in the end you are the winner. Eventually builds get nerfed, the game may change.. Those players that got something fast are going to suck then. But knowledge and skill... That doesn't change.

Players that want to improve themselves are the best players in the game. I'll give an example, theres someone that posts on this board even. Wet One, I consider him one of the best players on GW by far. I remember months and months ago we were talking one day and he was telling me how he was studying GvGs to watch other Warrior's tactics and how other people did certain roles in certain builds. He was already a very good Warrior himself, he just seeked improvement. He consciously went out and attempted to improve. (and he did) He also practiced in TA and RA for hours and hours while we weren't GvGing to perfect certain things which most people probably wouldn't have even thought about.

I do the same thing, a lot of good players do... We should all be like this, after all its only human nature to want to improve one's self. I think the problem is though, after awhile people get cocky then think they don't need to continue learning and to keep improving. Thats where they fail, thats where they start becoming horrible players. That, in itself is why I reply to certain people as I do. They ruined themselves, the worst part is.. Once you're like that, you can't look at yourself and see how you're acting.. You'll automatically just think you're better.

P.S. Obviously by the time you win halls they wouldn't care your rank because they can see how you play by then.

So what does this argument have to do with heroes in HA again? As far as I'm concerned you are making the argument to Anet for heroway to stay because now people won't get rank discriminated against because they can just bring heroes. Not the best idea. =/