PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Vow Of Strength

Vow Of Strength

Has anyone else noticed just how amazing this skill is? with 12 in earth, you deal 41% more dmg per swing. Combine that with an attack speed boost, and you have some serious DPS.

Since toying around with it, I've completely removed any "attacks skills" from my bar, and tend to ride with mostly enchantments, and mystic sandstorm thrown in for flavour.

Against casters (mes, ele) I average around 130dmg per swing

I fear it's a little *too* good.
    Kojakô
    ● Kojak Feels Jaded [N/X] ● II Kojak II [R/X] ● Jackson Taylor [W/X] ● Kojaks Shadow [A/X] ● Vengeful Was Kojak [Rt/X] ● Kojaks Illusion [Me/X] ● Navaaro Koj [D/X] ● Sebastian Koj [P/X]

● Protector Of Tyria ● Protector Of Cantha ● Slayer Of Lich ● Destroyer Of Shirro ● Annihilator Of Abbadon Conquerer Of Mountains ● Tamer of Lions ● Can fix anything with ductape ●

GWOnline.Net Member
    Hmm, + Wild Blow for crit every time and anti-stance?

It IS an elite after all though.

Eh, Wild Blow IS an attack skill :) wont work with VoS.

I still need to test this elite. The main problem is exactly that - it's an elite. It competes with so many other nice Dervish elites. Unlike Paragon, Dervish has tons of elites which sound really tempting.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Thanks Kojak for the info. I will try it.
    Also, thanks for all the other great posts about the dervish and nightfall,
    most appreciated.

Vinny

I was on a team with a good Dervish player who said this skill was nice, so I was thinking of looking into it. Your idea of straight IAS melee swings buffed up sounds like the best way to go, and you sound like you're getting really good damage.

I think I want to try and make a setup with it since there appears to be a lot of ways to run it. Perhaps Heart of Fury (IAS) would be in it, along with Extend Enchants to make the elite last 20s instead of 10s. Then you can add an Ele Conjure spell (Lightning, Fire, Frost... whatever) and some defense.

41%?! Wow, i didn't even see they buffed this elite (i don't have it unlocked and didn't check). I thought it was still 5..17% since guildwiki took a while to change it.

Now this is seriously interesting on a D/P spamming Go for the Eyes...

How about something like:

D/P

13 Scythe (10 + 3)
    12 Earth (10 + 2)
    9 Mysticism (8 + 1)
    8 Motivation

Vow of Strength (+41% damage... you must crit so freaking high)
    Go for the Eyes! (+52% chance to crit on next hit, which means around 70%)
    Aggressive Refrain (25% IAS, 20s, reapplied every time a chant ends on you. So basically if you can attack 5 times in 20s to use Go for the Eyes!, it's reapplied. Really expensive to use (25E) so make sure it doesn't drop)
    Find their Weakness! (next crit = deep wound. You should crit! Can also be used to keep Aggressive Refrain up since it's a shout)
    Signet of Pious Light (heal!)
    Aura of Thorns (cripple/bleeding)
    Armor of Sanctity / Vital Boon (combo with SoPL for healing) or Conviction (tank)
    Rez Signet

Is this build worth it? Can't tell before trying it and i need to unlock a couple of things in there before i can hehe. But it could be an interesting way to use Vow of Strength, since instead of using attack skills you're boosting your normal attacks with Motivation. The main thing lacking in this build imo is a running stance, but at least you got a cripple.

In theory, on 60AL, a Scythe crit with Vow of Strength should do on 60AL:

1.46 (Armor Effect on crit for 13 SM) * 41 * 1.35 * 1.41 = 114 damage. That's really not bad for an auto-attack. Should you fully drop Mysticism in order to have 15 SM-12 Earth-8 Motivation, the difference on crit would be 122 damage. Not a whole lot overall so i think you're better off with the emanagement.

If someone can buff you with Judge's Insight, you can start doing really scary damage. A crit at 13-12 would do 141 damage on 60AL.

The effect damage-wise is similar to Primal Rage, slightly weaker DPS but instead of losing all skills you only lose attack skills which is much more viable overall. And it's an enchant instead of a stance so it's more controllable (you can drop it when you want should you want to fit attack skills in there)

I'll test it for you in a bit and let you know what the numbers look like.

I made a few tweaks because Aggressive Refrain is in Leadership and there weren't enough att. points to spend. Here we go:

==============================
    Patccmoi's Dervish of Destruction (De/Pa)

13 Scythe (10 + 3)
    12 Earth (11 + 1)
    8 Motivation
    7 Mysticism (6 + 1) <-- I couldn't get to L9

Heart of Fury (+33% IAS)
    Vow of Strength
    Go for the Eyes!
    Find their Weakness!

Signet of Pious Light
    Aura of Thorns
    Armor of Sanctity
    Rez Signet

I went into Nameless Isle with the Monk Hero to wail on the dummies (full +15%/+20% mods).

53: 100 AL crit damage
    83: 60 AL crit damage

117: 100 AL crit damage w/Judge's Insight
    144: 60 AL crit damage w/Judge's Insight

I tried this with a vamp mod, VoS JI, FtW! and GftE! up... it takes 50% health of a 60 AL in one critical swing! You definitely have potential with this.

Quote Originally Posted by arredondo View Post
    I made a few tweaks because Aggressive Refrain is in Leadership and there weren't enough att. points to spend. Here we go:

Patccmoi's Dervish of Destruction (De/Pa)

13 Scythe (10 + 3)
    12 Earth (11 + 1)
    8 Motivation
    7 Mysticism (6 + 1) <-- I couldn't get to L9

Heart of Fury (+33% IAS)
    Vow of Strength
    Go for the Eyes!
    Find their Weakness!

Signet of Pious Light
    Aura of Thorns
    Armor of Sanctity
    Rez Signet

I went into Nameless Isle with the Monk Hero to wail on the dummies (full +15%/+20% mods).

53: 100 AL crit damage
    83: 60 AL crit damage

117: 100 AL crit damage w/Judge's Insight
    144: 60 AL crit damage w/Judge's Insight

I tried this with a vamp mod, VoS JI, FtW! and GftE! up... it takes 50% health of a 60 AL in one critical swing! You definitely have potential with this.
    Something's a little weird with these numbers. You do 83 damage WITH Vow of Strength on 60AL? Cause iirc, an A/D with 12 Scythe Mastery (and no Vow!) crits at 80 on 60 AL. 83 seems like what you would get at 13 SM WITHOUT Vow. If you truly get 83 with Strength, something is bugged with the skill.

The numbers with JI seem correct though. But i mean it's obvious there is a problem here, JI on 60 AL reduces the target's armor by 12, and the damage increase if of 61 (144 vs 83). If -12 AL = 61 damage, i'm gonna start carrying Weaken Armor all the time =p

You should get 9 Mysticism if you use 2 Major Runes (unless you didn't have them unlocked ofc).

The stats should be :

10 + 2 + 1 SM
    10 + 2 Earth
    8 + 1 Mysticism
    8 Motivation

As for Leadership, i don't think there's any problem there, because while Aggressive Refrain is in it (and no matter the points, it's Paragon's primary attribute, you couldn't put any there) unless guildwiki is useless and they changed the skill since release it is NOT affected by Leadership. It just happens to be there for no reason.

Description of Agressive Refrain:

25E/2s activation/20s recharge

For 20 seconds, you attack 25% faster. This Echo is reapplied every time a Chant or Shout ends on you.

Leadership does absolutely nothing for it. While Heart of Fury is 33% IAS vs 25% IAS, this could potentially be kept up forever for free once applied by using GftE! and FtW! over and over instead of around 33% of the time for 10E.

what is the plan for blindness?
    Last edited by Boqu; 02-11-2006 at 05:30.