PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    FFXI, for all its faults, has a good system. As well as the auction house, which would work quite nicely were it not for the artificially inflated prices, you can have a personal "bazaar". You can set prices for items in your inventory - if you have set any prices, a little "bag" icon appears over your head indicating that you have items for sale. You can also add a comment to your player which appears when people examine you.

This does lead to literally thousands of players standing around doing nothing but selling items, but it is a nice idea in my opinion.

I like the idea of an NPC you can drop goods off with, set a price and he will then sell them in the manner of a normal merchant, with the resulting profits being sent directly to your character. To prevent these getting overloaded quickly, there could be individual NPCs for different varieties of items - e.g. an NPC for player weapons, player armour etc. Alternatively, this system could be integrated with the existing NPCs by adding an extra tab to their interface.

When I first started playing a few weeks ago, I didn't notice too much, even in post searing.
    But it did pick up after Halloween....alot of the WTS are those particular items. It may be just this time of year that it's gotten worse...
    Just my 2 sense..:)

Might I suggest that anyone interested in trade improvements also look through the Mega Trade Improvement thread. There are some interesting discussions there, particularly around the whole player stores and so on.

just a funny thought: spammers talk too much. if everytime you speak you pay 1 gold, would that work? so when they spam they are spending game gold... only in all chats though.

also it encourage some people if they want a private chat they can form a team so they can use team chat without getting charged. over all, 1 gold is not that much I think most of us can afford to talk in the occation way but to spammers it will be different.

i know someone may say "it is free world how come I have to pay to speak" but hi I don't want the spam so that is my 2 cents.

Great, the "Big Brother" advocates crawl out of the woodworks. You think establishing a police state within an adventure game where people are penalized left right and center will solve anything? You're limiting your own freedom when you limit theirs. Boqu: If everyone had to pay 1 gold then how could goldless noobs say anything at all when they first join? They'd have to go farming just to be able to speak, and before you know it no one would play the game because it's intended to be social and you've just castrated the point. If you write a spamword filter script, the spammers will find a way around it. More moderators won't solve anything, we're not babies for god's sake.
    And yes, why should I have to limit myself from enjoying a public conversation people can join in on or trying to put together a PUG because of spamtards? I hate the spammers as much as the next civilized lout but think for a second about the in-game trade system. Hold on a sec, you can't, there isn't one. Sometimes you have to waste hours trying to sell one measly item and the more you try the more everyone else tries. Read Ghostboy's post. Now consider this.
    Why try to instill fear into the hearts of spamtards when a simple function could be implemented which ACCOMPLISHES what spamtards are trying to achieve? Everyone who mentioned the trade house, good thinking. Although I wonder about the economy, would people with similar items have their prices leveled out or is it asking bid only assigned by the seller? Could people just go ahead and click buy without contacting the seller? If the seller were offline, would two/three competing buyers bargaining (like an unmanned auction) in a separate chat window for that item? If so, who makes the decision to finally sell at a higher price? Also will incessant perusing of the no doubt enormous stock of player items eventually drive a person insane? Waiting for the user to come online, dozing off and finding your item snatched up by some rich noob...oh well. We'll jump that hurdle if we get there. Any system where a seller can post their item somewhere once is a good thing. That's all they're trying to achieve anyway. I like Angry Jedi's idea of a bag icon or something to indicate a character has items at the auction house or items to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Grymatta View Post
    Last night I was in Kamadan district and some guy was offering a run from Kamadan to Consulate Docks for..get this...2K GOLD. 2K for a 200 ft. run? You gotta be kidding me.
    He was essentially ferrying. You can only do that ferry once per character, once you have completed the quest, you can only town-teleport into Consulate Docks.

So he wasn't doing what you were thinking he was doing. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by oblio View Post
    He was essentially ferrying. You can only do that ferry once per character, once you have completed the quest, you can only town-teleport into Consulate Docks.

So he wasn't doing what you were thinking he was doing. *shrug*
    what if you dont finish the mission yet?...then you could ferry all to your hearts content?

Sunraven
    I have started adding trade spammer to my ignore list when I am in a town. I like to help people by answering questions and such as well as forming teams for quests. But that is impossible to do in many of the large hubs of the game. Yes I could turn of the All channel but that defeats the purpose of the channel. I want to talk to people not get anything anyone says spammed out the All channel by someone repeating the same thing over and over.

It isn't just trade spam though.I have played since prophecies and since Nightfall came out I have seen alot more spam from people looking for teams at missions. Not just the odd line now and then but making sure no one else can have anything seen on the chat panel but their spam. Am I going to invite this person onto my team? No I am just going to put them on ignore.

The bigest problem I have right now is that the ignore list has a limited number of slots. Infact mine was filled when 10 people were on it. The friends list can have alot more people on it so why not just extend the ignore list? That way all the spammers can be ignored and not heard from again. If enough people ignore them then maybe they will eventually get the message when they cannot get teams, sell anything and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Grymatta View Post
    what if you dont finish the mission yet?...then you could ferry all to your hearts content?
    I assume you mean "don't finish the quest", as if you have finished the mission you certainly cannot ferry anymore. I honestly don't know about the quest (and am no longer in a position to test it out), I seem to remember that as soon as I had Consulate Docks on my map, I could no longer go through the consolate, but that is just my memory and may be incorrect.

In any event, this is just a gimmick to get max armor early. I don't know that I care about it one way or another, I'm sure if I started another Elonian character I would do whatever was necessary to minimize my time on Istan. After running two new chars through all the beginner content, I have become quite tired of that particular content. That is the ONE area where I like factions better. The beginner island was SO quick that you could run multiple chars through without getting overly bored with it; It was just so quick.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelatedGore View Post
    Boqu: If everyone had to pay 1 gold then how could goldless noobs say anything at all when they first join? They'd have to go farming just to be able to speak, and before you know it no one would play the game because it's intended to be social and you've just castrated the point. If you write a spamword filter script, the spammers will find a way around it. More moderators won't solve anything, we're not babies for god's sake.
    I am not saying that my solution is the perfect way to go but:

beginners don't have to have empty pockets. they can have 500 golds when the game starts. in night fall it is already 250 gold free in your pokets. that is more than enough to get your storage unlocked, and ask a few viable questions.

and, we are not babies yes but spammers are.

over all I know there is no easy solution. how much does it cost to educate people to do the right thing to USE THE TRADE CHANNLE? priceless. i myself will never buy anything/answer any trades in all chats. will that stop people from spamming? no. and what next?

PS: nowadays I just turn that channel off. I only turn it on when I am looking for PUG, and I use Guild/Team chat. and, avoid to go to LA/Kaineng. there are always some small posts with skills/armor/everything else traders, nice and quiet and fast to load. just my own choice though.