PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Broken Link - the Storyline

My issue has 2 parts.

First Issue

According to the Elonian Manuscript that the "Present Day" is 3 years after The Undead Lich and Shiro attempted to rule over the world. If that is true, how is it posible that an Elonian-born character can participate in an event that happened three years ago simply by taking the quests that brings them to Tyria/Cantha.

To someone who started in Nightfall, these events doesn't make any sense.

There are certain missions in Nightfall that connects the previous 2 chapters to it, but trying to re-live the events prior to Nightfall that happened 3 years ago should have been executed in a storytelling mode. For the sake of intergrity of the storyline, there were no sunspears in Prophesies and Factions.

The linked quests between Tyria and Cantha is ok since they both happened at the previous "Present Day". The three-year-later-Present-Day just doesn't connect very well with the first 2 chapters. I strongly believe that Anet should have just kept the previous "Present Day".

Second Issue
    To what advantage making the "Present Day" 3 years later? I still can't find any significance to why Nightfall should be an event 3 years later. Anybody has a clue?

(Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it, since I have no idea where this should go. It's about Lore and PvE so I put it here)
    ~jvxmtg

~ I officially quit Guild Wars and will not buy any Anet product in the future starting today, June 19, 2007. I've given all my items and cash to Erasculio and I'm sure he'll be rich with some of them. :wink: ~

SPOILER-------------------SPOILER-------------------SPOILER-------------------SPOILER

SPOILER-------------------SPOILER-------------------SPOILER-------------------SPOILER

To what advantage making the "Present Day" 3 years later? I still can't find any significance to why Nightfall should be an event 3 years later. Anybody has a clue?
    So they can make The Lich and Shiro reappear at the end? See, if both villains were connected to Abaddon, then there should be some time in between Shiro and Nightfall. First Shiro was stopped, and Abaddon needed some time to come up with a new plan.

Ill give a shot...

1. your are right that it doesnt make sense that the characters can go backwards in the story from elona to factions and tyria -- its mainly game design and playability reasons its there .. so players can still use the other chapters etc ... its suspension of belief... from a story standpoint

2. why is it three years later ? story telling ... easier to give you a sense of a living world that these events are happening not as one linear event like a movie but like a real world -- just a story telling element ...

No different then presearing to post searing -- two years past there .. its designed to fill in the gaps of ok if all this was happening at once why did no one know etc.... its a gradual build up so it happens all at once to our preception but in the long run its a building up effect ...

take this example -- the king is crazy wants to rule the world but slowly over the years he takes out his competition one by one in sly and devious manners so to not arouse anyones suspicions.. so when the times right he can spring his trap/plan

Just my thoughts

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post

So they can make The Lich and Shiro reappear at the end? See, if both villains were connected to Abaddon, then there should be some time in between Shiro and Nightfall. First Shiro was stopped, and Abaddon needed some time to come up with a new plan.
    It still allows you to re-kill the Lich and Shiro at the end of Nightfall... and then kill them for the first time when you go back to Cantha/Tyria with an Elonian character... Which hardly makes sense.

I'm not too picky about this, however. That is bound to happen with "alternate dimension-like" chapters. Not everything can happen at the same time in different places so it couldn't be helped.

But then again, it's just like it allows you to kill most (if not all) bosses over, and over, and over, and over... and over again. (Considering you can redo all missions)

A degree of willingness to ignore such is always necessary in any MMO with a storyline, simply because it's not as if they can bar you from the earlier areas of the game. Even if Prophecies, does it make sense for an ascended character to go back to Ascalon and be able to do the Great Northern Wall quest again? No - but there's a degree of freedom that's necessary.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Well, both the Lich and Shiro are dead anyways, right?

Shiro being a spirit emissary prior to the completion of factions, and being a frozen jade statute at the end of factions.

And, the Undead Lich is obviously undead. SO, it makes a certain amount of sense that you would see dead people in an area where you would expect to find dead people, even if they are also seeable in other places.

I could see the many topics arrising in complaint if A.net stopped characters from Elona moving to Tyria and Cantha just because of story reasons.

Think of the first mission in Elona for Tyrians, a historian recounts what happened, if your that fussy over story imagine thats what your character is doing when visiting Tyria/Cantha.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekretaal View Post
    Well, both the Lich and Shiro are dead anyways, right?

Shiro being a spirit emissary prior to the completion of factions, and being a frozen jade statute at the end of factions.

And, the Undead Lich is obviously undead. SO, it makes a certain amount of sense that you would see dead people in an area where you would expect to find dead people, even if they are also seeable in other places.
    The Lich's soul fed the Bloodstone at Abaddon's Mouth. Seeing as Titans came from that, it's highly likely to be a portal to the Realm of Torment. As such, the Lich got sent back to Abaddon.

Shiro got put into the Realm of Torment apparently by the other Messengers (as they said at the end of Factions). So he'd be with Abaddon again as well.
    The part that doesn't really make sense here is that the Messengers are supposed to be "good", yet put Shiro back with it's master.

Anyway, both Shiro and the Lich got back to their Master. It wouldn't really be a problem for a God to give them a form they could manifest themselves in inside his own Realm, now would it?

My main issue is, if an Elonian decided to go to Tyria/Cantha, they shouldn't be faced with the crisis we faced since we already beat the Lich and Shiro three years ago. For the Elonians point of view, there is no "Terror in Tyria" nor "Plague in Cantha" and even if they decided to help, they will be 3 years too late.

Edit:

Just like trying to save Ascalon, but the Searing happend 2 years (5 years of the current "Present Day") after, which even if you try to go back, you can't since the event already happend and you are faced with the current Post-Searing.
    ~jvxmtg

~ I officially quit Guild Wars and will not buy any Anet product in the future starting today, June 19, 2007. I've given all my items and cash to Erasculio and I'm sure he'll be rich with some of them. :wink: ~

Quote Originally Posted by jvxmtg View Post
    My main issue is, if an Elonian decided to go to Tyria/Cantha, they shouldn't be faced with the crisis we faced since we already beat the Lich and Shiro three years ago. For the Elonians point of view, there is no "Terror in Tyria" nor "Plague in Cantha" and even if they decided to help, they will be 3 years too late.

Edit:

Just like trying to save Ascalon, but the Searing happend 2 years (5 years of the current "Present Day") after, which even if you try to go back, you can't since the event already happend and you are faced with the current Post-Searing.
    You are completely right that there is here a strange loop in the space-time continiuum there.
    From a story point of view it is indeed quite strange that someone would go to another continent and end up a few yeas earlier.
    Yet also somehow the characters from Cantha and Tyria also managed to be at two quite far apart continent with a long sea voyage in between them at seemingly the same time at accactly the right time to catch up with the rest and save the world.
    Also note that when a tyrian character comes to Lions Arch the first time, talks to Mhenlo who has dire news and says 'So long! I wont be saving Tyria, I'm going on adventure to Cantha' and leaves the world to its fate as he was lured away to distant lands.
    Wont work either, because if he would decide to come back to Tyria after beating that evil-do-er Shiro he would find his companions still faithfully waiting in LA to go on and save the world, as if nothing ever happend.

You just have to take it all with a grain of salt because of the non-linearity of the GW stories (Meaning: not only the world itself is not effected by your actions, the events haven't changed either, as opposed to say an RPG where the story is linear because if you go back to a known location the monsters might be gone or the entire area has changed due to your actions).
    Every time to go back to previous mission you are traveling back in time to an earlier stage, and pick the story up from there.

And actually, If I would have played NF first I would have been interested why that horned dude and that dual blade wielding weirdo where pretending to be so import in the Realm of Torment.
    I would search in the library for historic scrolls that tell of the Heroes of the Flame Seeker Profecies and the Heroes of the Sing Jay Monestary (sp?) (and relive them vividly).