PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 94
  1. #1
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Posts

    103

    8.2 out of 10 rating on Gamespot... lower than Factions and Prophecies

    Here's the link:

    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guild...gn3/index.html

    I'm speechless.

    I guess I'll add one comment about this review. The reviewer says:

    "However, in spite of all the new content that's on offer in Nightfall's large new continent of Elona, the underlying game hasn't changed much and is starting to show signs of aging."

    Does this mean that WoW: Burning Crusade will get a 8.2 when it's released for the same reasons?

  2. #2
    GWOnline.Net Member Kuldebar's Avatar
    Posts

    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalki View Post
    I guess I'll add one comment about this review. The reviewer says:

    "However, in spite of all the new content that's on offer in Nightfall's large new continent of Elona, the underlying game hasn't changed much and is starting to show signs of aging."

    Does this mean that WoW: Burning Crusade will get a 8.2 when it's released for the same reasons?
    Honestly, most critics (movies or otherwise) need smacked upside the head.

    Showing it's age? WTH?

    Should Anet say, O my gosh! let's completely change the game so it's unrecognizable. Ya, lets have a race of Elves, and lets expand the skill bar to 30 slots. O, and raid dungeons! Epic raids, omg what a great idea, 40 people competing for phat lewts!

  3. #3
    He's not talking about changing the game negatively - only positvely. In particular, he refers several times to UI changes taht were wanted along time ago - particularly better trading and party formations. While we are at it, we might as well say there needs to be more movement involved.

    This rating is about right. Nightfall did nothing groundbreaking. Why should it deserve anything higher?

  4. #4
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Posts

    103
    Kuldebar if they did that they'd get a 7.5 for trying to copy WoW and every other MMORPG out there. I guess most game review sites base their scores on where the money is these days.

  5. #5
    GWOnline.Net Member ImSoToast's Avatar
    Posts

    545
    Well I have gotta say I kinda agree with him. Nightfall looks huge and it has 20 missions, yet those missions are outposts at the same time. In part 1 and 2 you had mission towns and regular towns, but in Nf mission towns are regular towns as well. Maybe heroes just made the game a lot easier and quicker. I know this sounds like a complaint but I am more satisfied with nightfall than factions but it took me longer to beat factions first time around.

    But it could just be my experience and heroes that did this. But to not be misunderstood I did feel like my money was better spent on Nf than factions, but both don't compare to gameplay, to me, to prophecies. I think one of the major differences between ch1 and both 2,3 is almost half of prophecies was pre level 20. It was like 1 game was until the desert with the jungle being a preview of what was to come. With the desert I felt like this is where the game truly begun. With Nf and Factions I never really got that feeling.

  6. #6
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Posts

    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Harshateja View Post
    This rating is about right. Nightfall did nothing groundbreaking. Why should it deserve anything higher?
    Riiight... Heroes, Insignias, etc... how quickly the fans forget. I don't know why Anet even bothers anymore with the attitude of some fans. Oh yeah, they still do it cause I'm asking for it and buying their games.

  7. #7
    GWOnline.Net Member FireballX's Avatar
    Posts

    1,375
    If the game as-is came out in place of Prophecies 1.5 years ago, it would have rated probably a 9.6.

    The game was polished, not 'vastly improved', and since it is essentially the same game Prophecies was, it rates a lower score, as the GS score takes date-of-publish into consideration.

    In any case it's good not to pay attention to game reviews that much. I find Nightfall enjoyable, I play it, nobody's going to tell me I can't because it rated as slightly lower than any other game.

  8. #8
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Posts

    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by Harshateja View Post
    He's not talking about changing the game negatively - only positvely. In particular, he refers several times to UI changes taht were wanted along time ago - particularly better trading and party formations. While we are at it, we might as well say there needs to be more movement involved.

    This rating is about right. Nightfall did nothing groundbreaking. Why should it deserve anything higher?

    name one good game that did something "ground breaking" since BF2....
    oblivion=gothic ripoff
    WOW=every other mmo in existence ripoff
    medival:total war=lousy spinoff of rome:total war
    Civalization=tell me 3 things that fundentally changed the gameplay...
    etc etc etc

    im begining to think the reviews are a bit biased, the inscriptions system is a TOTAL OVERHAUL of the previous GW experience, heroes were are COMPELETLY NEW, this game is 3X better then factions, yet it got .3 poits lower somehow, "new" games are exact better graphics version of old, yet they got better then this...

  9. #9
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Posts

    94
    I think it wall take another month or so before enough reviews come out, there is a lot to cover, rushing through the missions to the end game does not give you the real feel of of it's potential, and you need LOTS of reviews before you get a fair picture of public opinion. The Elite missions have not even been released yet have they?

  10. #10
    GWOnline.Net Member FireballX's Avatar
    Posts

    1,375
    Quote Originally Posted by halfthought View Post
    im begining to think the reviews are a bit biased, the inscriptions system is a TOTAL OVERHAUL of the previous GW experience, heroes were are COMPELETLY NEW, this game is 3X better then factions, yet it got .3 poits lower somehow, "new" games are exact better graphics version of old, yet they got better then this...
    If you think inscriptions are a 'total overhaul', you need to keep things in perspective.

    If I was completely new, and I randomly picked a single campaign to play of Guild Wars, my overall gaming experience would be about the same. This is what GS reviews mean - the same gaming experience, but now it's 1.5 years old.

    And since they can't make changes that 'change the gaming experience' without undermining some of the principles of Guild Wars (total character balance, no 'raid' style environments, etc), it's most likely going to stay that way.

Posting Permissions

Posting Permissions

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off