PC Gaming News

Question "It's Just a Flesh Wound": bugged or am I just greedy?

I haven't played around much with the Paragon, but tried something today in-game that didn't work as I expected:

"It's just a flesh wound." - Elite Shout.
    You suffer from a Deep Wound for 10...6 seconds, and target other ally loses all Conditions. (Motivation)
    5E/1C/0R
    Aggressive Refrain - Echo.
    For 5...25 seconds, you attack 25% faster. This Echo is reapplied every time a Chant or Shout ends on you. (Leadership)
    25E/2C/20R
    I figured you can equip these two skills on, say, an Assassin, and get an unending AF (or Burning Refrain and Burning Finale). Those Echoes are in the Paragon's primary line, so you can't get much out of them unless you re-apply a Shout or Chant to renew them.

So I tried to use IaFW as my spamming Shout since it has no recharge and only costs 5E. The Shout works (you can see the text on screen) but it doesn't reapply my Echoes. Shouldn't this work like I want? It's -5E spamming every 5s plus a constant Deep Wound while using up your elite slot - so it isn't a "free" abuse of the system mechanics that has no penalty.

What do you guys think? A Shout's a Shout, even if instantly starting and stopping, right? I'm following the rules of the description on the Echoes as far as I can tell.

It's just like how "Make Your Time!" is an instantaeous shout and doesn't help trigger any refrains. But if you have aggressive refrain on, there are probably better (read: non-elite) ways to trigger it.

it's just a flesh wound doesnt exactly end seeing as it has no duration

I am baffled to why you would want to use Aggressive Refrain on a primary Assasin. Seems like much more work than its good for, considering it is 25 energy and that the assasin has to regen all that before he can start unload his combos. And with 0 ranks in Leadership, it only lasts 5 seconds.

Besides, its only 25% IAS, the assasin has better in his own innate skills that doesnt require such tonguetwisting to use.

if you're spamming iafw, then technically it's running like this:
    shout starts, shout starts, shout starts
    you're just renewing it, and the skill hasnt ended.
    you'd have to wait for the skill to end after it's full duration for it to count and renew your echo

Why would you want to use this skill i ask? There is much better choices of elites for a Paragon to bring. The monk Restore Condition is wastly superior to this skill.

It's just a flesh wound 5e 1r Elite motivation Shout
    You suffer from a Deep Wound for 10...6 seconds, and target other ally loses all Conditions.

Compared to

Restore Condition 5e 3/4c 2r Elite Protection Prayers Spell
    Remove all Conditions (Poison, Disease, Blindness, Dazed, Bleeding, Crippled, Burning, Weakness, and Deep Wound) from target other ally. For each condition removed, that ally is healed for 10...58 Health.

Restore Condition doesn't hurt you, and it heals the ally. Its just a Flesh Wound is instantly cast and recharges faster than RC. It is not vulnerable to daze or spell counters, plus Paragons are harder targets than monks. But Paragons have much less ability for endurance casting like monks, and they need to be attacking to gain free energy with Watch Yourself or Go for the Eyes.

Ill say that Song of Purification or Cautery Signet is much better choices for condition removal than this underwhelming skill. Its just a flesh wound needs to be more distinct, or present unique options. Just like how it is with Angelic Bond, that is more dangerous to use compared to the monk bonding skills, but is completely uncounterable.
    Last edited by NeferJackal; 13-11-2006 at 11:58.

The cast time of IJAFW, using it once every 5 seconds, makes the extra attack speed worthless. Also it's a big hit on your energy.

I think you are a bit confused about Its just a Flesh Wound. It costs 5 energy, has ZERO casting time, and recharges in 1 second.

It strikes me that you could go with 0 in Motivation, if you bring Remedy Signet. Then you could negate the self inflicted deep wound right after.

While Its just a Flesh Wound is clearly less powerful than Restore Condition. Monks are seen as primary targets, and a secondary Paragon Fleshwounder would arguably not be targetted to the same degree as a monk. But unfortunately it is a shout, and will clearly broadcast whom it is that is so sneekilly removing conditions instead of the monks. I think that is a quite great impediment hampering the skill even further.

Quote Originally Posted by NeferJackal View Post
    I am baffled to why you would want to use Aggressive Refrain on a primary Assasin. Seems like much more work than its good for, considering it is 25 energy and that the assasin has to regen all that before he can start unload his combos. And with 0 ranks in Leadership, it only lasts 5 seconds.

Besides, its only 25% IAS, the assasin has better in his own innate skills that doesnt require such tonguetwisting to use.
    The simple answer is, I'd do it just because I can . I often cross bridges like the problems you bring up one at a time. Before I can tackle viability and practical application of any idea, I prefer to figure out first if the idea is even possible. After that, I move on to the type of stuff you asked.

In general, an IAS for an Assassin enhances their double strike abilities. Sure there are good IAS skills with other classes, but I wanted to explore it with As/Pa to see what the Paragon subclass could uniquely add (besides the IAS).