PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

NOW i understand rank eliteism

so after deciding that pve had become to boring, i decided to focus more on gvg and HA. I spent a couple nights looking for a group in heroes ascent, becoming frustrated with the fact that finding a team that will take rank0 is next to impossible(i wont take heroes, but thats another debate all together). finally, a rank3 group took pity on me and let me join there group, at this point i was just mad at the fact that it had taken so long to find a group, and i didnt really care what rank they were. the group was very friendly with me, i made mistakes, they stayed calm and gave me advice on my builds, the maps ect..never once were they rude, and i managed to make 30 fame that night. i came out of that night with basic knowlege of the maps, and was ready to apply that little bit of knowlege the next time i went into HA.

the next night however, i went into HA and was instantly invited to a random PUG all rank0-2, im hardly in a place to dicriminate, being a freshly minted rank1 and all, so i agree to hang with them for a couple hours, as we try out some builds........the builds were not the problem, players were all over the place, nobody called targets, or even worse, 3 people called targets at the same time. over and over again we did the same map learning nothing about anything except how to die, and i already knew how to do that. i chalked it up to a bad night and went to bed.

its been 1 week since that night, and its like im a magnet for the worst players in gw history, between the ragequitters who quit if we dont get 10% morale boost every time, or the imfamous team full of leaders who cant choose a target. even using ts/vent is a hassle, as u get 4 people yelling and screaming at u to do this and that, then getting mad at u because u couldnt take 3 monks singlehandedly. and dont forget my favourite type of group, the group that pees themselves when they see their opponent is in a rank 993 guild, then quit in fear...only for me to see a heroway group come running at me.

in 7 days my total earned fame? 47 :( . i knew it would be tough to get those first few ranks, thats the idea, to learn as u go so u are not a liability to higher ranked players. little did i realize what the differences in ranks can truly be. god willing ill be rank3 by christmas, hopefully that will help get me into better groups, but for every decent group i get, i get 100 groups that arent even trying to understand the game, that are just there to farm fame, and get a nifty emote

so when the time comes for me to help some low ranked person, will i do it?? probably, but it will be the exception, not the rule. that may not be the best thing to do, but if having a high rank filters out even half of these types of people, ill consider it time well spent.

and now, on to rank2................

Most lower ranked people are just using heroes... I'm suprised you can even find a lower ranked team period. I remember my first ranks were a pain but I made an flist and started my own groups and it went a lot faster.

Also rank really doesn't mean much. I mean most rank 3 people are unlikely to be much better, but more likely to be more of the same annoying people just at it for longer.

Best of luck in your quest.

I was in your situation b4 but henchway can really solve your problems ppl calling targets but not following it and other problems u might encounter. The only thing is they are not capable of having a complicated build like motivation henchmen in thier full extent.

Sf, Command para and healing monk are some of the examples i can give u right now. but u would still need to have 2 ppl with you so they can monk right and run right in relic runs. And for the record, ive managed to be up to rank6 guild in 50/50 ratio and 1:10 ratio against henchway.

Ofcourse REAL skilled(also in human communication) > heroes

I know what where you're comming from. And it's why:

team of (high)ranked friends > (high)ranked team > friends team > Heroway > ranked pug > rankless pug

Just finding 5 other players who have no clue about HA, but who are willing to learn, already takes you halfway. I did it with my guild, at first we had huge difficulties with Broken Towers, now we frequently win it, had huge difficulties with relic runs, also semi-solved, and progress will continue.

Another thing to note is that everyone has days where HA just seems to be going their way. Thats just bad luck, remember it can happen that you enter UW 4 times and face r9+ players each and every time.

I could never understand why people would spend an hour forming a team and then leave it after the first setback.

The main thing that makes it hard for new players to get into groups right now are of course heroes. It's a vicious circle: low ranked players can't get into groups, so they play with heroes instead - that means that there are less low ranked players making/looking for groups, thus making it harder for new players to find groups.

Quote Originally Posted by quago View Post
    I was in your situation b4 but henchway can really solve your problems ppl calling targets but not following it and other problems u might encounter. The only thing is they are not capable of having a complicated build like motivation henchmen in thier full extent.

Sf, Command para and healing monk are some of the examples i can give u right now. but u would still need to have 2 ppl with you so they can monk right and run right in relic runs. And for the record, ive managed to be up to rank6 guild in 50/50 ratio and 1:10 ratio against henchway.

Ofcourse REAL skilled(also in human communication) > heroes
    That is the real ironic contractition in the complains today btw :

- low ranked people find average pugs too bad and use heroes as it is realistically their best chance at fame farming (when they don't have friends online)

- high ranked people ask to remove heroes because it has made HA boring and less competitive (therefore implying that hero-made team are worse than pugs)

Quote Originally Posted by JodoKast View Post
    That is the real ironic contractition in the complains today btw :

- low ranked people find average pugs too bad and use heroes as it is realistically their best chance at fame farming (when they don't have friends online)

- high ranked people ask to remove heroes because it has made HA boring and less competitive (therefore implying that hero-made team are worse than pugs)

Ya it's almost like heroes are becoming a necessary evil. Honestly it seems like theres less heroeways running around. Seems likemore and more people are doing it with two other people at least.

To me, it seems to be getting harder to get into groups. Also seems like theres more r6 or close to r6 people and less r3 or below people. I think the rank gap is getting bigger and its getting even harder for new players. Thats just what it seems to me for now.

Rank Eliteism

I have to agree with the posts which all say it is near impossible to get into a group in HA. I am a OLD guy in age compared to most folks and takes some time to even understand what people are saying when you go to HA.
    I have spent a lot of time doing the AB battles which I thought were along the games objectives. Earning titles takes a load of time (no farming or whatever), the last title steward is I believe 1,200,000 points...anyway, decided to try PVP and Hero's. I have sat there probably 20 - 30 minutes trying to get into a group, probably about 8 or 9 times now. I understand everyone is trying to win and gain rank, however if all folks rank or no, want to continue to play, I think it might be wise to at least give a small amount of time to "new" folks. If everyone gets
    frustrated by not being able to even try, then soon the quantity of people playing there will drop off. Well, I will keep trying for now....hope to see everyone there :) Roving Ranger, Commander V I M E S, Cmdr V I M E S...

The same age old problem still applies with HA. You need rank to find a decent group, but getting that rank remains the problem. If it's any consolation, a lot of people have gone through what you guys have. Some were lucky enough to be in guilds who started HA together as a group, others had to rely upon fotm's. I do see some guilds recruiting in HA home districts from time to time who do not discriminate on rank. Perhaps you'll get lucky and find some like minded folks to start playing together.

New players used to have to PUG to get their first few ranks, which was a headache but a good learning experience in general. By the time you got to the point where you could get into higher ranked groups, you knew enough to carry your weight. With Heroway, you can farm the first few maps for your deer and learn little to nothing about teamwork and strategy.