PC Gaming News

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Another way to reward quests

There seem to be two camps, currently: one that likes the new "money as quest rewards" and another who likes the Prophecies-style "skills as quest rewards."

Well, here's a proposal that should satisfy both: Have quest rewards consist of XP (like they always have) and a "skill voucher." These vouchers will be collectable items (like trade contracts or luxon totems) and can be either sold to the merchant for a certain amount of gold (probably around 200-250, which is the quest reward amount of most Factions/Nightfall quests) -OR- they can be cashed in at the skill trainer for skills on a one-for-one basis.

This provides the best of both worlds -- a way to earn skills without paying for them as well as a way to choose what skills you get.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i alway's whas thinking about a sort of skill letter, they can be used to buy the skills instead of paying for it, you still nead a skill point tough.

The problem with this system is that we will end up having people creating new toon just to farm skill vouchers and then either use them to gain tons of skill that they normally wouldn't have been able to get (at least not that cheep), or they will start selling them to lazy players who don't want to work for their skills.

I think that a better system would be to allow us to choose between two different rewards. We may either receive our XP-Skill reward, or our XP-$$$ reward. That way the skill based system can't be exploited, and those who prefer receiving money instead my do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Deathtouch View Post
    The problem with this system is that we will end up having people creating new toon just to farm skill vouchers and then either use them to gain tons of skill that they normally wouldn't have been able to get (at least not that cheep), or they will start selling them to lazy players who don't want to work for their skills.

I think that a better system would be to allow us to choose between two different rewards. We may either receive our XP-Skill reward, or our XP-$$$ reward. That way the skill based system can't be exploited, and those who prefer receiving money instead my do so.

There is an easy solution of making the skill vouchers customized to the toon who earned them. That way they would be unsellable or tradeable. I like the skill voucher idea, I've never understood why skills cost money anyway, isn't that the reason for skill points?

I think there are better ways to farm than to do quests. Quests are generally long, and not worth the reward.

I.E. I could farm more than 250 gold in the time it generally takes to do the average Nightfall quest.

I think its a pretty safe idea actually, and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha Deathtouch View Post

I'm perfectly happy with either of these outcomes. We already do this by letting people farm bosses and then sell their hard-won drops for cash. What's the difference here? If you're worried that a low level character will have too many skills, you could just make part of the quest reward be a skill point, and require a skill point to buy the skill.