PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Does item color really matter anymore?

I've seen this in trade forums and a few times in game while browsing for deals. With inscriptions, purple items can now be modded to have perfect stats. However, despite that I still see, "It's purple, it's not worth as much." Inscriptions makes the item color, gold or purple, somewhat irrelavent objectively, but some traders don't seem to see it that way. I sold a perfectly modded purple spiraling spear recently, but for far less than it probably would have been if it had gold text.

The most that gold or purple would have any influence on a purchase, imho, would be if it's unidentified. Unidentified purples are pretty much guarenteed to have nonperfect mods. Why do some people persist in this-now artificial distinction, when only the item skin should matter?

(Of course, the purple/gold items described here are NF only. Pity. I wanted an inscriptable Mursaat hornbow.)
    Last edited by jciardha; 06-01-2007 at 15:35.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i see you point verry wel and i have this problem my self, i have a verry good runner shield that is ownage agains most shields, but only becouse it's green no one buy's it.....
    it is like this...i hope i get this right:
    armor: 16(req 9 strength)
    health +45
    reseave damage -5( while in stance)

now tell me, wy would anyone not buy this who realy neads to run?
    i feal your pain

Quote Originally Posted by sorudo View Post
    i see you point verry wel and i have this problem my self, i have a verry good runner shield that is ownage agains most shields, but only becouse it's green no one buy's it.....
    it is like this...i hope i get this right:
    armor: 16(req 9 strength)
    health +45
    reseave damage -5( while in stance)

now tell me, wy would anyone not buy this who realy neads to run?
    i feal your pain
    Well, TBH... I'd not buy it because its prerequisite is Strenght instead of Tactics.

This is soemthing that has irritated me ever since Nightfall came out. People turning up their noses at perfectally good req. 9 purple weapons. Many people told me that they were perfectally happy to pay more so that their weapon could have gold text when they looked at it in their bag.

I, myself, and perfectally happy to use purple weapons. If it has the skin I want, and is inscribable with a good req, why not? I can save my platinum for PvE goodies that can't be had so cheaply.

Item colour only ever matter when initially identifying(quality/quantity of possible mods etc). Collector could always supply max core stats and the rest was already moddable, but they're only blue coloured.

Since NF's inscription were added it's even less important since only the req and damage are unmoddable now. I have a purple tattooed scimitar, but after a bit of salvage it now has 15>50, armor+5, ebon.

Gold items now only has specific use for the wisdom title.

I have a max damage req 9 "purple" inscribable Fellblade. I have several perfect inscriptions and sword mods (I just need to make a decision which to use!) After I customize this sword, I could care less about other people's opinions about the rarity/color of the item! The sword will be awesome and it will be MINE!

In comparison, I've had many non-perfect "gold" swords that I've just sold to the vendor, as they were crap. So gold != good.

Some gold skins differ from purple skins with the same name (i.e., a gold Ancient Scythe looks different than a purple Ancient Scythe).

However, in the end, it is mostly vanity that drive swhta people wnat. No one can tell that my purple Azure Recurve Bow is purple, because the looks the same as a Gold; I know it's purple, and it has max stats and a low req., so I'm happy with it.

My ranger's primary general-purpose bow is a near-perfect GOLD Sundering Celestial Bow of Fortitude. 20/20 sundering, +30 fortitude, 8 req -- but the damage is 14-28. Realistically, this bow is just as good as a 15-28 damage bow, and I love it. It has sentimental value, too, since I found it while helping a duaghter through Nahpui. But some people wouldn't buy such a bow or use it, because it isn't "perfect."

Why are diamonds (in the real world) worth so much? Because of vanity and limited supply. And the same holds true for Guild Wars -- many people want only the best, even if no one else can see it.

In my opinion, Torment weapons are universally ugly, so I have no interest in drudging through DoA for an Ambrace fo Truth. However, a guildie of mine is trudging to get his Ambrace -- not because he likes the Tormented Sword skin, but because he wants to brag that he has it.

Fortunately, GW doesn't force anyone to buy anything. My friend can work for his ugly sword, and I can be happy with weapons I find or buy for role-playing purposes. Some people value come titles and not others; the great power of Guild Wars is that it allows each of us to choose how we play.

And that's a good thing.
    Last edited by ChaoticCoyote; 06-01-2007 at 16:36.

I don't think it matters much anyhow, aside from determining what mods will be on the item when you ID it. I found a perfectly decent max damage PURPLE hand axe while mapping earlier, req 11, but max damage even if it has +17 while hexed, it's still good!

Item colour is only an elitist distinction (except when it comes to modding, then you want blue). I myself would be perfectly happy to use a weapon or shield that was blue as long as it had max damage/good protection and had the skin I want. Heck it doesnt have to be perfectly modded! Since I can get those for myself...

A lot of it has to do with vanity, I agree. And for me at least, it varies by character.

My mesmer actually just got himself completely outfitted with greens (Illyana's staff, Wayward Wand/Vokur's Chakram, Vokur's Cane and Chakram), and has a gold sword for when I feel like doing some Illusionary Weaponry. Good look the best, gotta be the best.

My warrior, on the other hand, has been using the same purple fellblade with a 5% furious mod for the past year or so. For a while before that, he was using a purple war hammer for several months. I've since found gold weapons for him, but the purple ones get the most use.

It's just nice to mouse over your weapon sets and see the pretty colours.
    Scott the Green, W/X | Scott the Happy, N/R,Me | Scott the Inept, Me/X | Scott the Farseeing, Rt/N,E | Scott the Hurt, Mo/A
    Scott the Physical, E/Me | Scott the Clumsy, A/E | Scott the Pacifist, D/Mo | Scott the Aimless, R/P | Scott the Quiet, P/N
    Scott the Burdened, mule | Sorka Nordentaller, female mesmer who doesn't match the naming scheme