PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    yes very good stuff Chthon, thanks! unfortunitly, ping isnt my problem. It never goes over 200 so i guess im good there, but i get 2 fps half of the time when im in the game.

So you say its from hardware problems? Ive disabled my SLI so now im only running one 7800GT. My computer is pretty fast, it can run CS:S, Battlefield 2/2142, F.E.A.R, DOOM III and many others on all high settings. I wouldnt think GW would need more umph then a demanding FPS like BF2142.

So anyone else have any ideas to fix my FPS problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix1160 View Post
    yes very good stuff Chthon, thanks! unfortunitly, ping isnt my problem. It never goes over 200 so i guess im good there, but i get 2 fps half of the time when im in the game.
    Have you tried defragmenting your drive? GW performance can degrade if gw.dat is badly fragmented. Also, you might want to try running gw.exe -image also to download and decompress all the data. Another thing to check is background processes that may interfere with GW. For example, EZtune has been reported to cause performance issues.

Where are you getting 2 fps, by the way? In town or in instanced areas? Sometimes busy towns can really drag down the fps.

Cheers.

-T

Quote Originally Posted by teina View Post
    Have you tried defragmenting your drive? GW performance can degrade if gw.dat is badly fragmented. Also, you might want to try running gw.exe -image also to download and decompress all the data. Another thing to check is background processes that may interfere with GW. For example, EZtune has been reported to cause performance issues.

Where are you getting 2 fps, by the way? In town or in instanced areas? Sometimes busy towns can really drag down the fps.

Cheers.

-T
    I do fine in towns, 60 all the time. Its when i leave towns and run around or fight things when it goes to 2 fps...

Nope, dont use EZtune, but are there any other programs that are known to cause GW problems?

Also, ive never defragged this computer and ive had it for a year this month, so would if be a good idea to? How long would a 160gig HD take to defrag?
    Last edited by Matrix1160; 24-01-2007 at 23:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix1160 View Post
    Also, ive never defragged this computer and ive had it for a year this month, so would if be a good idea to?
    Definitely. NTFS can get fragmented doing simple things like browsing the web. To check your current fragmentation, you can use the built-in defragger. It should be in your systems tools menu (not on a Windows machine right now so I can't check). While you can use the built-in defragger to defrag your drive, it's not the most effective tool for the job.

To defragment just one file, you can use Contig. However, if the rest of your drive is fragmented and you don't have a large free space block, then Contig may not be able to do its job very well. The built-in defragger won't (as far as I recall) reorder your files for maximum contiguous free space either. For more effective defrag, I'd recommend picking up a third party defragger. PerfectDisk 8, Diskeeper, and O&O Defrag are some of the tools people are using. Most if not all of them have a free time-limited trial version, so you can try them out before you buy.

How long would a 160gig HD take to defrag?
    Depends on how fragmented the drive is. It can take a few hours if it's really bad. I believe all of the third party defraggers have schedulers that'll let you setup a regular defrag run when you're not around. The built-in would require a bit more work to get it to work with the scheduler (no point-n-click scheduling).

Cheers.

-T

Definitely. NTFS can get fragmented doing simple things like browsing the web. To check your current fragmentation, you can use the built-in defragger. It should be in your systems tools menu (not on a Windows machine right now so I can't check). While you can use the built-in defragger to defrag your drive, it's not the most effective tool for the job.

To defragment just one file, you can use Contig. However, if the rest of your drive is fragmented and you don't have a large free space block, then Contig may not be able to do its job very well. The built-in defragger won't (as far as I recall) reorder your files for maximum contiguous free space either. For more effective defrag, I'd recommend picking up a third party defragger. PerfectDisk 8, Diskeeper, and O&O Defrag are some of the tools people are using. Most if not all of them have a free time-limited trial version, so you can try them out before you buy.

Depends on how fragmented the drive is. It can take a few hours if it's really bad. I believe all of the third party defraggers have schedulers that'll let you setup a regular defrag run when you're not around. The built-in would require a bit more work to get it to work with the scheduler (no point-n-click scheduling).

Cheers.

-T

-T

thanks for all the help! what GW file should I defrag? Im going to do a full defrag, but i plan on doing it tonight while im sleeping =)

The most important file is gw.dat in your Guild Wars directory. You may want to run gw.exe -image first though, to decompress the data before defragmenting. Just open your GW desktop shortcut Properties and add in -image like so:

"C:\Program Files\Guild Wars\Gw.exe" -image

Of course, your installation path may be different. Once this is done, GW will exit. You'll need to remove -image to play the game. What I do is I have two shortcuts, one for play, one just to decompress the image.

-T

The built-in defragger won't (as far as I recall) reorder your files for maximum contiguous free space either.
    It will. It's problem is just that it's stupid. If it gets two large fragmented files, it seems unable to figure out how to deal with them one at a time and ends up leaving them both fragmented. And if it leaves any files fragmented, it usually gives up without reordering files for maximum free space.

Quote Originally Posted by Chthon View Post
    It will. It's problem is just that it's stupid.
    Ah, I see. I just remember trying to defrag gw.dat with 20GB free, but the free spaces were spread all over, and the built-in defragger refusing to do anything.

-T

Hey guys, I decided to run Contig on gw.dat and it went from 208 volumes to 1, and it actually helped quite a bit! Now when im running around of fighting i get about 25-30 fps. Still not amazing, but a big improvment. I plan on defragging my whole comp tonight, so hopefully that will help out some. I'll get back to u guys tomm to let you know how it goes!

Thanks for all the help people. if anyone needs any photoshop help, ive got u covered =p

Quote Originally Posted by Chthon View Post
    Ping has nothing to do with FPS. If you're having FPS problems, that's a hardware issue with your computer - probably video card.

IME, 200 ping is higher than desirable, but not worthy of a complaint. 400 or 800 or 1200 is though, and that's what I'm getting....

To trace your route: First, run GW, then alt+tab back to windows and open a command prompt. Type "netstat -na" followed by enter. Now alt+tab back to GW and log out. Under the foreign address column, you should see 3 entries that read X.X.X.X:6112. These are the servers you are connected to in order to run GW. Pick one. Now type "tracert X" where X is the IP of the server you chose. This will report the route and the ping at each router along the way.
    Reading the report:
    • (Zeroth of all, "downstream" means "closer to you," and "upstream" means "farther away from you.")
    • First of all, understand that answering ping requests is (almost) always given lower priority than passing along data (including ping requests addressed to someone else), so a moderately congested (or worse) router will pass along your pings addressed to upstream routers faster than it will answer your pings addressed to it. That's why it's possible for an upstream machine to have a lower ping than a downstream machine or an upstream machine to respond after a downstream machine timed out in answering your request.
    • A jump in ping at a downstream router followed by a lower ping at an upstream router usually means nothing but congestion at the downstream router. In the worst case it means you'll need to use pathping to check for packet loss if the congestion is very bad.
    • Conversely, a jump in ping at an upstream router followed by pings that are as high or higher at every upstream router means that there is real slowdown there.
      • Real slowdown is normal, and should be expected, when it correlates with geography. (Example: A hop from Chicago to Dallas is going to have real slowdown, since even light moving down fiberoptic cable only goes so fast.)
      • Conversely, real slowdown where geography provides no explanation and/or real slowdown to a speed that is simply unacceptable are strong indicators of the location of a problem.
    • Timeouts can mean one of four things:
      • Case 1: The router is totally overloaded or malfunctioning or the physical connection is broken. If this is the case, you won't see anything past this point and will be totally unable to connect to anything upstream of it in any way. Obviously, this is bad. Hard to distinguish from case 2, below.
      • Case 2: The router is heavily congested enough that your ping request (low priority) never gets answered, but (some) traffic is still getting forwarded, but so slowly that ping requests to upstream routers don't make it roundtrip before the timeout deadline. Although not as bad as no connection at all, this is about as bad as connection problems get. Hard to distinguish from case 1, above.
      • Case 3: The router is configured not to repsond to ping requests, so it isn't responding to you. This is not a problem at all. You will usually see responses from upstream routers following a timeout if this is the case. This can be hard to distinguish from case 4, below.
      • Case 4: The router is heavily congested enough that your ping request (low priority) never gets answered, but (some) traffic is still getting forwarded, albeit slowly. This is nearly as bad as case 2, above. You will usually see responses from upstream routers following a timeout if this is the case. This can be hard to distinguish from case 3, above. Probably the best way to distinguish them is to look at the ping on the next router upstream - if there's a jump, then probably case 4; no jump, then probably case 3.

If tracert isn't enough to pin down the problem, run "pathping X" where X is the IP of the GW server you just tracert-ed. Expect it to take a good 5 minutes. Pathping will return the same info as tracert, plus raw figures for packet loss percentages of packets sent to each router, plus a microsoft algorithm's (somewhat dubious) assessment of which routers or cables caused what percentage of the packet loss.
    • Routers with both unexplained jumps in ping and any packet loss at all are prime candidates for being the source of a problem.
    • Any packet loss at all is suspect, even if there is no ping problem. Packet loss over 1% or 2% is especially suspect and probably indicates a problem.
    • Like a timeout, packet loss of 100% (raw, not microsoft's attribution) can mean several things:
      • No connection at all
      • Bad enough congestion that no ping requests are getting answered (and some or all through traffic may or may not be getting dropped too)
      • The router is configured not to reply to ping requests

(Hmmm.. maybe I should copy this out and call it a guide...)
    Hum didn't understand all of that . But we can reduce our lag with that ?
    Last edited by Kirikou; 17-03-2007 at 22:42.