PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question PvPvE - is it possible?

looking over at Aeion, NCsoft's other mmorpg product, they are trying a new mode called "PvPvE." As i understand it, it's a seamless PvE world, with pvp on the battle field? I'm not sure if its instanced or not (the pvp part). is it even possible?

The concept is very interesting, my only concern is that if one side becomes too powerful, how will the storyline progress for those in the losing side?

That is if its a linear storyline or if it even has a storyline at all.

That is called PKing, it is where PvPing is allowed in the general game. For examples, see nearly every RPG made in the past 10 years.

So when you are in UW and your partner gets an ecto you can...[THWACK!]...oooo! Ecto....!

Well if it did somehow combine both PvP and PvE, would be somewhat odd bashing at an NPC monster AND on the other team at the same time, unless its something like the Luxon/Kurzick war but that actually influences PvE more than in Guild Wars, well maybe that could be some fun.

But I guess it would be possible, just not really sure how the gameplay mechanics could actually fit together to form a storyline(ex a PvP mission would maybe be harder to win because of the unpredictability of PvP, so you couldn't advance in the story<<pure speculation here >.<)
    Last edited by Kayleen Ajzurion; 24-01-2007 at 21:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Nova View Post
    So when you are in UW and your partner gets an ecto you can...[THWACK!]...oooo! Ecto....!
    oooh drools lol, just kidding

shattered enchantment by a N/mes would be interesting.

anyway, it is good that gw stay this way, no pking

Bein the cheapskate i am - i wonder whether its pay monthly or no monthly fees (like GW)

pay monthly = no buy
    no monthly fees = buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kayleen Ajzurion View Post
    Well if it did somehow combine both PvP and PvE, would be somewhat odd bashing at an NPC monster AND on the other team at the same time, unless its something like the Luxon/Kurzick war but that actually influences PvE more than in Guild Wars, well maybe that could be some fun.

But I guess it would be possible, just not really sure how the gameplay mechanics could actually fit together to form a storyline(ex a PvP mission would maybe be harder to win because of the unpredictability of PvP, so you couldn't advance in the story<<pure speculation here >.<)
    The first thing you have to understand is the likely lack of instancing. It wouldn't be anything like a GW mission, more like a GW town, with people you didn't bring in able to be wandering around. Then, because it's always open, you're always watching for it. Because of the larger size of the areas though, it wouldn't be assured that you would be attacked -- just sometimes. The missions would count for regular story though, I've never seen an open PvP game that didn't count its quests just because you were at a risk of getting taken out by another player. The PvP is unlinked from the story in these cases.

Some WoW servers allow this, for instance...as do most other major MMOs. The older back you get, the less restricted what other players could do to you was, in fact.

I would like to see more pvp in pve, if that's even connected (I don't really get what PvPvE is meant to be, from Black's comment it sounds like the crappy FoW/HoH system x10). Less 'double their damage and level' and more 'give them decent builds (and AI)'.