PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The threat from grenth

appearently grent form is quite used atm.. meaning that enchantments aint worth alot.. So wat do you think can be done..

Are ench dead as long that grenth is nt balanced or are we gonna find anything to handle it, so we can get ur pretty enchants back..

i know there is loads of things that can be done like changing the metagame to nt rely on enchants(healing like ZB) and try to hit back on the dervish who has low armor.. and Me/E blinding surger or watever the hell.. giant smoketrap team could be funny:P

There are counters.

Yeah, all you need is 2 /Me characters (at least one will get interrupted) with enough survivability and having blown enough attribute points into Inspiration to penetrate deep enough to Signet of Humility (with Mantra of Inscriptions) Avatar of Grenth every single time it recharges. Then you need to ignore the fact that AoGrenth is frankly disgusting and puts every other enchantment removal skill in the game to shame, including Shatter Storm, Lingering Curse, and Dark Apostasy.

Quote Originally Posted by neoflame View Post
    Yeah, all you need is 2 /Me characters (at least one will get interrupted) with enough survivability and having blown enough attribute points into Inspiration to penetrate deep enough to Signet of Humility (with Mantra of Inscriptions) Avatar of Grenth every single time it recharges. Then you need to ignore the fact that AoGrenth is frankly disgusting and puts every other enchantment removal skill in the game to shame, including Shatter Storm, Lingering Curse, and Dark Apostasy.
    That's true, I was having a hell of a time vs a Grenth Dervish and a war, RoF would get removed before healing, same with Aegis, SoA...etc. But I guess it's not that difficult to counter, if you expect it.

I don't like the "there are counters arguement" because there are counters to all build however grenth is quite hard to counter. Grenth players are often D/Rt with extend and sight beyond sight which means they are completely immune to blind. Also any intelligent Dervish player will fall back behind his monks to activate the form so increasing the recharge means squat and it makes interrupting it quite hard. Also speed buffs are included so kiting is of minimal use and when they arent rit secondary they are usually dervish/warriors with the skill wild blow that stops all blocking or evading really. Grenths are extremely hard to counter so I find that reply extremely weak.

I would advise interrupts for when it is being activated and signet of humility to prevent that even happening. If it is activated I would dump a Blinding Surge Elementalist Or Mesmer to watch him or use Ward Vs Melee. Melee hate hexes work too if your build allows that as well as constant snaring! Really all melee counters apply...
    Last edited by Xunlai Agent; 29-01-2007 at 00:37.

Aside from the fact that the form is down 50% of the time, you have to punish the use of that form with relentless DP. Throw all of your anti-melee at it, pre-kite away from it, spike it out, remove it from the match.

You should have GoH and ZB, which is enough to just out-heal it if you have to.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primitiveworker View Post
    You should have GoH and ZB, which is enough to just out-heal it if you have to.
    No you cant outheal a melee train without protection. The reason grenth is so dangerous is that it removes prot.

There are only three ways that I can see to shutdown a grenth led melee train in a balanced build.

1. Sig of humility - alread been mentioned, will be easier when recharges are fully implemented.

2. Use Hexes as melee control/shutdown instead of conditions.

3. Ranger with interrupts to interrupt wild blow and other skills, needs natural stride and should overextend to try and interrupt the grenth form. Mesmer wont manage it.

Joe

now i havent played for a while.. so i dont know anything at all on metagame atm.. but atm i picture a warrior train with a grenth derv leading it..(i know i posted this)

can anyone gimme a quick setup for the build wit profs only(incl. split if possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Samuel View Post
    No you cant outheal a melee train without protection. The reason grenth is so dangerous is that it removes prot.
    I should have qualified what I said.

If the Grenth's Dervish is all by himself, you can simply outheal it with ZB and GoH if you must. If you are alone against the Grenth's followed by a melee train of even just 1 more, you're in trouble. The rest of your team needs to do its job to shut it down, or otherwise punish its use.

Cripple, Ward Against Foes, rapid hex removal (or condition removal) to allow targets to run.

A persistant cripple such as Harrier's Grasp on a ranger can seriously weaken a Grenth's dervish, then be used aggressively once the form ends. Even better, if he can DShot it, the problem is solved for a short while (especially if the change regarding avatar recharge goes ahead).

Defensively, Weapon Spells may indeed have some potential. The classic build can vary atm, but 2xFrontline 2xControl 1xSupport (With offensive capabilities) can still work. Take a Ritualist - if they are buffed up he can contribute offensively with powerful nukes such as Ancestor's Rage, while still having Weapon of Warding to seriously decrease the offensive power of the Dervish.

As for monks... Encourage your team to kite. Time returns so that they cripple the enemies, and position the returns so that the enemy is forced into a poor position. Ask your warriors to reset the enemy train, and follow up with an aggressive mesmer attack on their monks who will be forced forward.

GvG is a team game - staying alive is far from solely the monk's job.