PC Gaming News

Thread: random freezing

Hybrid View

hambones

random freezing

ok, so a few months ago, my GW would randomly lock up. it would show just basically a screenshot of what happened a second ago, but i could still move my cursor around, and if i hit a skill i could hear that skill being played out, and if i attacked something, i could hear myself attacking, etc.

then it went away.. for a couple weeks.

it's been doing this to me for the past 2 months and it's so random. it started off doing it maybe 2 times a week, now it's maybe 2 times a day. it happens to me when i'm doing something real important too - happened to me when i was calling in GvG a month or so ago, and while some friends and i were in halls. but it can also happen when i'm just standing in town.

this doesn't happen to me only in GW - it happens to me on CoD2 (played on DX7) and CS:S (no HDR). for example, the screen will stop, but if i move i can hear my footsteps, and if i shoot, i can hear it..

it's so weird. it's like the game is playing, but i can't see it.

system:

1024 mb (1 gig) pc2700 RAM
    nvidia geforce 7800 GS (AGP), newest drivers
    2.8 ghz intel P4 cpu

what i usually do when it locks up, is i click out of it (i play in windowed), and i restart.. if i restart GW it will freeze up 2 more times until it messes up majorly and my whole system freezes.. then i have to press the reset button on my pc.

need help ASAP, it's been doing this for months.. i don't even bother playing that much now because of this.

Are you sure the video card isn't overheating? If it's not, then it could possibly be a bad video card.

hambones
    i don't have the program to check my video card's temp... but the last time i looked (couple months ago), it was idling around 40-50.. which isn't all that bad.

what is a good program i could use to check my video card's temp?

hambones
    bring
    up
    my
    Uh, you aren't allowed to unnaturally bump your posts here. Check out the rules.

The only temp monitoring software I know of is ATITool, but check out the site listed below.

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/22863-...e-monitor.html