PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Balanced or Spike

Which do you prefer? In 8v8 or 6v6 or both? Why?

First off the definition of balanced from my prospective
    Balanced = No More then 2 of the same primary, and no identical builds

No I didn't forget pressure but they are not in play much with new mechanics however if you like using them please say so

I would say that by my definition, balanced = pressure. Pressure is simply the term for killing things through the enemy monks being unable to keep up with damage, while spike is killing due to the enemy monks being unable to heal damage quick enough. If that makes sense.

Your term for balanced is also fairly flawed - many spike builds consist of a mixture of professions, as the positive aspects of a profession decrease rapidly the more of them you have on a team (with few exceptions). Meanwhile, many balanced builds used in 8v8 consisted of two assassins using the Shadow Prison...Blades of Steel attack chain.

All that said, I personally enjoy both. I will happily play (and invent) spikes, but only if they are fairly original - I enjoy seeing if spike X will work despite the fact that most players run spike Y.

With balanced builds I still prefer playing something original - usually hyper-agressive builds with only one or two monks (depending on group size). Off-monk defense such as Water Elementalists and debilitating hexes are often underestimated greatly.

You can't possibly compare Balanced vs Spike. Balanced gives the mix of proffessions in a build. Spike is a tactic. You can have balanced spikes (rainbow spikes), you can have unbalanced-pressure (all paragon teams).

i like pressure more. if a pressure group can stop/weaken/negate a spike(or even do so a good half to 3/4ths of the time) they they will probably win. my guild is currently running a pressure build that has ripped through many different spike groups(including groups that are/were holding halls), you just have to know how to play them.
    8v8 is so much better than 6v6. 6v6 is better for casual players and pugs. 8v8 is better for everything else. 8v8 has superior ability for gimmick builds, pressure builds, ect. It also provides decent practice for those who haven't gvg'ed before but would like to.

Quote Originally Posted by Almas Darksoul View Post
    I would say that by my definition, balanced = pressure. Pressure is simply the term for killing things through the enemy monks being unable to keep up with damage, while spike is killing due to the enemy monks being unable to heal damage quick enough. If that makes sense.

Your term for balanced is also fairly flawed - many spike builds consist of a mixture of professions, as the positive aspects of a profession decrease rapidly the more of them you have on a team (with few exceptions). Meanwhile, many balanced builds used in 8v8 consisted of two assassins using the Shadow Prison...Blades of Steel attack chain.
    Well an old pressure build that comes to mind that doesn't fit into my definition of balanced would be IWAY. Plus i know of several builds that fit into my definition and have a high DPS

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Flameheart View Post
    You can't possibly compare Balanced vs Spike. Balanced gives the mix of proffessions in a build. Spike is a tactic. You can have balanced spikes (rainbow spikes), you can have unbalanced-pressure (all paragon teams).
    Rit Spike 6-7 rits and a healer(monk or N/mo) is my example of a spike group
    and also the rainbow spike(2 A/W 3 Ele 3 Healer) or any version you would like to choose. As for the Para teams it depends onthere skill set up but i would say either pressure or spike

i know my idea of balanced may seam unlikely but i have done and seen others do it and i know others may disagree with this definition

Lost Score
    People like 8 man because they like to run "Gimmick Builds" plain and simple. It seems to me that a great deal of people out there are just in it for the fame, and what does 8 man give, "Easy Fame". 8 man breeds spikes, not that spikes in 6 man don't exist, They just take more skill. 6 people spiking, or 7 in rit spike will kill almost any target regardless of how well the spike goes. as far as gameplay goes 6 man allows for a greater variety of builds in my oppinion anyone who is in it for the gameplay will probably favor 6 man. the people just in it will go for the 8 man, so they can run they're bspike and ritspike and all those other builds every loves to run, but hates to play against. *Not checked for grammar/spelling*

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Score View Post
    People like 8 man because they like to run "Gimmick Builds" plain and simple. It seems to me that a great deal of people out there are just in it for the fame, and what does 8 man give, "Easy Fame". 8 man breeds spikes, not that spikes in 6 man don't exist, They just take more skill. 6 people spiking, or 7 in rit spike will kill almost any target regardless of how well the spike goes. as far as gameplay goes 6 man allows for a greater variety of builds in my oppinion anyone who is in it for the gameplay will probably favor 6 man. the people just in it will go for the 8 man, so they can run they're bspike and ritspike and all those other builds every loves to run, but hates to play against. *Not checked for grammar/spelling*
    8v8 was very much pressure orientated towards the end of the last 8v8 incarnation, condition, hex, melee pressure.

Now it's spike orientated, not because of 8v8 but because of kill count. The best way to win kill count is to spike, run, spike, run. A pressure team never gets to engage you long enough to get their pressure going, but you get to spike them.

The new mechanics are why people are spiking, not the 8v8.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Plz understand that a balance build is a build that is able to counter the metagame smoothly. This is both defensively (wards, infuse) and offensively(hexes, conditions, ect). It has nothing to do with a variety of classes. It does has something to do with the ability to indefiantly protect and evade the defense and offense of another mans build. And no, blood spike or rit spike can not do that since it can not heal and spike at the same time.
    Last edited by Wuzzman; 13-02-2007 at 21:55.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiyuri View Post
    8v8 was very much pressure orientated towards the end of the last 8v8 incarnation, condition, hex, melee pressure.

Now it's spike orientated, not because of 8v8 but because of kill count. The best way to win kill count is to spike, run, spike, run. A pressure team never gets to engage you long enough to get their pressure going, but you get to spike them.

The new mechanics are why people are spiking, not the 8v8.
    I thought that I was the only one that noticed that. The only way for a balance team to win is to not fight at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight De Blood View Post
    First off the definition of balanced from my prospective
    Balanced = No More then 2 of the same primary, and no identical builds
    So in your (obviously terrible) description, any build with 3 monks, or 2 shock warriors, for example, isn't balanced? LOL Balanced is a build that gives you the ability to outplay the widest range of builds. I'll agree with Almas that balanced builds are generally pressure builds, but balanced spikes can exist. Also, keep in mind that balanced pressure groups spike when pressure isn't getting them kills.

Personally I prefer balanced pressure builds as they're more skill intensive and therefore more fun to play. However, I can appreciate spikes and do find them fun to play and create from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight De Blood View Post
    Rit Spike 6-7 rits and a healer(monk or N/mo) is my example of a spike group
    and also the rainbow spike(2 A/W 3 Ele 3 Healer) or any version you would like to choose. As for the Para teams it depends onthere skill set up but i would say either pressure or spike
    Spike is a tactic. What you're describing is a caster spike build. There is such a thing as a balanced spike - like the old shock warrior, ob flame warder, mesmer, necro balanced builds people used to run in the old tombs. That is a balanced build, but scores kills with a spike.
    Last edited by B Ephekt; 14-02-2007 at 00:40.