PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member nightrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    i think you misunderstood me... i know this. i mean closer to "my only lvl 20 char is my wammo, i have no free slot for a pvp char, and my wammo doesn't have res sig unlocked"
    Oh. EPIC FAILURE.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    you don't know bad until your trying to lead a gvg and you hit the problem of a couple of your players not having res sig...
    I can assure you, my guild is bad enough that res sigs are the least of my worries... But I will probably be finding another guild anyways...

I have a question about flag running. I had always thought that at the end of every 2 minutes the owner of the stand would get a morale boost - I thought I even remembered seeing that, but then I noticed that putting down the flag restarts the counter. Which way does it really go? And, is it possible for two pretty evenly matched teams to even get morale boosts? It seems like each team would keep alternating the flag... I don't know how someone could keep a flag runner away for 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by skaspaakssa View Post
    I can assure you, my guild is bad enough that res sigs are the least of my worries... But I will probably be finding another guild anyways...

I have a question about flag running. I had always thought that at the end of every 2 minutes the owner of the stand would get a morale boost - I thought I even remembered seeing that, but then I noticed that putting down the flag restarts the counter. Which way does it really go? And, is it possible for two pretty evenly matched teams to even get morale boosts? It seems like each team would keep alternating the flag... I don't know how someone could keep a flag runner away for 2 minutes.
    The holder of the flagstand gets a morale boost every 2 min that they hold the stand. Putting down the flag does not affect the timer. Very briefly, here's a way to get morale boosts: double run flags so that you can get them out quickly. With 2 people running them, each halfway, you'll halve the time it takes to run flags. Eventually you'll cap right over when they cap. Once that happens you can push for a boost if you want. Start by snaring their flagger as he runs off after capping. Time burnt is time burnt, so snaring after he's just capped is just as good (or better) than snaring later. Lots of KD, cripple, and hex snare all over him. Eventually he'll get away and come back with a flag. When that happens cripple, hex snare, and KD him and with a bit of bodyblocking you should find it simple to gain a boost. Of course, you should learn early that boosts really aren't that important. The only time you'll want to really force morale is when either you or they are really hurting for rez sigs. In general it's a better idea not to lose anyone than to gain a morale boost. Boosts when everyone is still full are meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by David Holtzman View Post
    In general it's a better idea not to lose anyone than to gain a morale boost. Boosts when everyone is still full are meaningless.
    Yes.
    10chars.

A good example of this just came up in a recent game. You can watch it here. Game 3 AP vs OUT, AP gets constant boosts that don't really matter. In fact, their strategy of constantly trying to boost stops them from doing anything useful.

Ah, I see... thanks again for all your help :)

1. What is the point of ganking?
    To kill their NPCs in case Victory of Death comes along (or if it's a bad team, to kill their guild lord.)
    2. Explain split tactics... What do people mean when they say a map is better/worse for splits
    Splitting has 2 purposes: On an offensive split, a part of your team tries to gank their base while the other team tries to hold the flag stand for morale. The second is a defensive split, where part of your team goes to your own base to fight off an enemy gank. Some maps are linear, meaning only one path to another base exists. This makes it nearly impossible to gank (or to run away from one). Such maps include Jade Isle and Burning Isle. Most people believe the best map for ganking is Frozen Isle, because it has like 5 possible paths to the other team's base, and it's gigantic.
    3. Is there anywhere I can see maps of the guild halls? Even on observer mode I get kind of lost on most of the maps
    Talk to a Canthan Ambassador and walk through all the halls. I'm not sure if they have a map when exploring, but if they don't, just watch a lot of observer mode. Experience is your friend.
    4. It seems like people never take some enchantments or long-casting skills because it's too risky, but then I can't remember ever seeing enchantment removal (outside of Grenth) an don't really see interrupts often either. Is this just a metagame issue?
    This is a good point - the only long casting spell people bring is aegis, and it's usually the only enchantment (other than monk prots). It's not that teams are afraid of enchantment removal - people simply don't run enchantments because FnF spells just overpower them, thanks to poor skill balancing.
    5. Why am I suddenly seeing so many healing monks (this is outside of LoD runners, which I understand) in high-ranked guilds?
    Being high ranked doesn't make a guild good. Keep in mind that a lot of the guilds in the top 100 cheated it with BoA assassins and ritspike. Don't watch these guilds, you'll learn nothing. Watch guilds who look like they know what they're doing.
    6. Why do teams (seem to) rely on Monks so much for stopping spikes? Wouldn't it be easier to put stuff like Infuse, Prot Spirit, or Spirit Bond on a midliner, or have midliners disrupt spikes?
    Midliners often have too many useful skills on their bard to replace with a spike stopper. Also, 99% of people who play midline aren't watching their party window as much as monks do, so it is hard for them to focus on both their target and their team.
    Plus, midliners can prevent spikes on overextending melee chars easier.
    This is true, but damage can kill overextending melees, which is better.

GWOnline.Net Member
    In our GvG's, granted we are not too experienced, just a few friends having a good time that play decently together, and a few guildies that are not great that just like to GvG, we run a healer monk with a prot monk backline.

Having two prot monks in the backline works really well, however, I felt that it was somewhat innefficient when we ran it. For instance, both monks using reversal on a character...this is just a waste. The heal monk's job is to heal and catch infuses. (also has condition removal, in case we need to split). We've played around with several different healing builds, and all that we've tried have worked fairly well. It is not uncommon to run a bit of a hybrid, with Spirit Bond or Prot Spirit and RoF. However, these skills can get in the way for a "simple" backline healer. The main idea here is, that the prot monk uses RoF, SoA, prot spirit, etc.... We generally run some midline support also in the form of expel hexes or draw conditions. This, for us, I feel allows the monks to use their energy more efficiently. I know that healing/protting efficiency can be handled through communication and such, but this can also prove to be challenging to those players that try to over analyze the situations (do i need to heal or RoF? wait, what is the other monk doing?) -- situations like these can cause downfalls.

That's just my 2-cents on the whole healing monk revival. In summary, I feel it creates a more efficient backline versus a 2-prot backline, and for a casual GvG team this works fairly well. Before our other core monk left, we ran two prot monks. However, we had many many gvg's together, as well as HA and TA playing time, and felt very comfortable with each other and knew each other fairly well. He was a great monk, also, so that helped. However, at the current point in time, the heal and prot monk backline will remain.

Prot monks should have Gift of Health too. A lot of your healing should be coming from Heal Party or LoD, as well.

Just out of curiosity, could someone explain why I don't see the anti-block (mainly Warrior) skills being used more? Considering every other guild seems to have an Aegis chain, and SoD Monks seem pretty popular, I thought they would be pretty powerful (and many people claimed they are now overpowered... though I don't really agree) Is it just because they're too conditional - a wasted skill slot when the other team doesn't have blocks and even when they do it has a chance of not being blocked?

Haha... I think I just answered my own question :\