PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

design a weapon 07

on the main page,
    http://www.guildwars.com/events/cont...esignaweapon07
    GW mentions their new design a weapon contest.
    scroll down and it shows the exceptions to where you can send it from:

"Entries will be accepted from residents of North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau."

then there is this:

"Canadian Exceptions: Quebec. Canadian residents will be required to answer an additional mathematical question in order to claim their prize"

now, im aussie, and i'm stoked we made the list but em.... :/

Why not Quebec? And why the heck the mathematical question?
    No seriously. I classify that as "wtf lol"
    *Laguna Cid*
    *Laguna Krost -> R/X -=- *Lagoon Monk -> Mo/X -=- *Hidden Fees -> Ele/X -=- *Paragon Lol -> P/W -=-
    *Shooop Da Woop -> PvP

Wtf?

"Canadian Exceptions: Quebec. Canadian residents will be required to answer an additional mathematical question in order to claim their prize"
    Huh? Why?

I think it's to prove if it's really a canadian.
    If the kid can solve calculus II with 30 seconds, it's probably a canadian.
    *Laguna Cid*
    *Laguna Krost -> R/X -=- *Lagoon Monk -> Mo/X -=- *Hidden Fees -> Ele/X -=- *Paragon Lol -> P/W -=-
    *Shooop Da Woop -> PvP

Quote Originally Posted by LagunaCid View Post
    Why not Quebec?
    Because Quebec is the Canadian Catalonia.

And why the heck the mathematical question?
    It's a Canadian law, stop bringing it up at every contest. You would think people had a memory span longer than 1 month.

It's a Canadian law, stop bringing it up at every contest. You would think people had a memory span longer than 1 month.
    Haha. Because I totally pay attention to all the contest topics and know perfectly canadian law. You GOT me. I must be retard.
    And since we are doing some poking here...
    Because Quebec is the Canadian Catalonia.
    Cataluņa*

Also, the only similarity between Cataluna and Quebec is the fact that they tend to be separatist.

EDIT: Also, this "mathematical requirement" only started at "2nd Annual Guild Wars Halloween Art Contest", genius.
    Last edited by LagunaCid; 22-02-2007 at 05:28.
    *Laguna Cid*
    *Shooop Da Woop -> PvP

Quote Originally Posted by LagunaCid View Post
    Why not Quebec? And why the heck the mathematical question?
    i think it has to do with canadain laws. We have to do a question to claim our prize we cannot just win prize like that

any way that must mean that anet might be given out money. Not in game content

Here are answers, to the best of my ability to furnish them:
    • The rules are reviewed and approved by an attorney. The rules seems to get a bit longer each time, but in part that is due to the fact that each time, we are reaching out to people in more countries and are including them in the contest, so long rules are a small price to pay for a global contest, imo.
    • We are only able to offer contests, and award prizes, in countries or regions in which we have had a legal review of the contest rules. This explains the "exceptions" or the restrictions on rules, and we are sorry for that.
    • Canada has unique laws for the Province of Quebec, and those laws preclude residents of Quebec from entering contests of this nature. There is a similar legal restriction on contests in Rhode Island.
    • So, too, are we required to state that we will required the completion of a mathematical question, for in fact Canada prohibits contests without this requirement as part of the parameters of winning.
    • However, let me say that for a full-out random drawing, I could see the justification for the "math question." But for contests where winning is not random, where the entries are judged by an impartial jury of judges, and where winning certainly can be proved to take talent and skill, I have to wonder if the "math question" section of the rules is relevant. We may have simply included that because it's standard "boilerplate" for all contests, including random drawings, but for a contest of this kind--a contest of skill--I'd rather like to know if we must, so I will check with our attorney.
    • Someone wrote to ask about the location exceptions within the U.S. or affecting U.S. citizens. Our attorney told me that your legal residency is indicated by where you are registered to vote. So if you're a California resident stationed in Iraq, we don't look at where the entry came from, but where the contestant is a resident. Therefore, a deployed serviceperson would be eligible to participate. However, someone who had been stationed in Germany and is a resident of Germany living on a military base would not be eligible to participate. Since that isn't for us to establish, I would probably predicate an assessment of eligibility on the address given for the shipment of any prize.
    • Yes, this is confusing.
    • And I apologize for that confusion, and wish more than anything that our contests could be even more global, and much less guided by rules and red tape. But I do appreciate that such requirements are necessary in this day and age, so that's what we do.
    Basically, I hope that everyone who can enter will enter. The prizes are good and the fame is long-lasting.
    Gaile Gray
    Community Relations Manager
    ArenaNet

Hiya,

Quote Originally Posted by Stupidname View Post
    I'm sorry, but that has to be one of the few times I have totally agreed with you.

Maina
    Maina Kitty. Random Benevolence Society [HELP]
    There was a young diva from Tyria, who wished to become somewhat merrier.
    She danced and she drank, she gave gifts, they cried 'thanks'.
    And they all loved that diva from Tyria.
    Sig by=ValdaRhian- Be a Pal! (Zero still has "dibs" on my stuff)

why a math question? surely proving your candian-ness would be enough... or am i missing the point. (never noticed this before btw sorry)

also, sorry about the double thread, my internet hiccupped.