PC Gaming News

what does meta and fotm mean?

i ntohise these terms alot when ppl are talking about HA but i'm wondering what they mean

meta
    anti-meta
    fotm

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlchemist View Post
    i ntohise these terms alot when ppl are talking about HA but i'm wondering what they mean

meta
    anti-meta
    fotm
    From Wikipedia:
    "Metagaming refers to operating on knowledge of the way a game is played within a particular geographic region or tournament circuit. This local or circuit-specific context is often referred to as the metagame. A player who is aware of the metagame for their particular gaming environment may make play choices that are objectively inferior for the game in general, but are optimized against the play styles of the majority of players they are likely to face in that specific competitive arena. This usage is common in games that have large, organized play systems or tournament circuits and which feature customized decks of cards, sets of miniatures or other playing pieces for each player. The premier example of this kind of environment is the tournament scene for the card game Magic: The Gathering."

Anti-meta would be a build that specifically counters the play style used by the majority of gamers.

fotm = Flavor of the Month. This would be the most commonly used build at a given time.
    ~Bella Sera~
    PAL it up!
    No trees were harmed in the sending of this message but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

The metagame and fotm both roughly mean similar things - what the majority of people are playing. FoTM is short for flavour of the month. By definition, both change over time based on the "discovery" of new build and skill combinations which seriously hamper what these people are using.

The term metagame is generally associated more with what the more intellegent/skilled players are doing, while fotm is more linked with what the vast masses of ignorant dolts use. For example, the IWAY build was seen as fotm (despite lasting many months) as it was simple to run and get wins with. The metagame at the time could have been seen as more balanced builds which many people were running as they were effective at countering IWAY. For example, around the time 2 Surge Mesmers, 2 warriors and an earth elementalist was popular.

Anti-fotm or anti-meta is trying to create a build designed specifically to attack what everyone else will be running. For example, an anti-fotm build would be one with many anti-warrior skills - more than a balanced build typically needs. This would give them an immense advantage over IWAY but leave them lacking against balanced teams.

Finally, I've found that the term fotm is more associated with HA ("Zomg, what fotm nubs they are, we'd liek totally pwn tem if they ran balanced!!!"), while meta is linked with GvG games ("The metagame is shifting, young padawan. We must adapt accordingly").

Such as these words that the specific meanings can vary, but meh.

I don't believe they said it but fotm and metagame might be similar(and in some cases the same) but fotm usually is percieved with a negative connotation while metagame is usually percieved with a positive connotation. Do not ask me why, just for some reason a decent number of people think that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Bear View Post
    I don't believe they said it but fotm and metagame might be similar(and in some cases the same) but fotm usually is percieved with a negative connotation while metagame is usually percieved with a positive connotation. Do not ask me why, just for some reason a decent number of people think that way.
    FotM and Meta are the same thing. It's what bad players play so they don't have to think up their own builds.

There is a pretty good definition for these terms on the Wiki at guildwars.com. Metagame and FotM are definitely not synonyms.