PC Gaming News
Page 51 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camkam View Post
    I agree. Map traveling is great, but you still want players to feel immersed by traveling. I wouldnt mind seeing boats coming to take you to a major city, or a subway type thing to take you to another part of town. That type of traveling is fun to do.
    Those kinds of things are fun the first few times. After that they are just a waste of time. Time spend wasting/getting a drink that could have been spend actually playing. There is a reason people in WAR have been asking to be able to skip the flying animation, even if it doesn't speed up the whole progress. After having done it a few times, you just want to arrive at your destination as fast as possible.

That's why we will have map traveling. But I still love transportation methods too. I am not including things like flight points or zeppelin rides. Im talking about things like the subway from Stormwind to Ironforge or the boats from the Draeni/Night Elf islands that take a minute or 2 of your time. Make these few and far between of course, but make it a refreshing change of pace kind of thing.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camkam View Post
    That's why we will have map traveling. But I still love transportation methods too. I am not including things like flight points or zeppelin rides. Im talking about things like the subway from Stormwind to Ironforge or the boats from the Draeni/Night Elf islands that take a minute or 2 of your time. Make these few and far between of course, but make it a refreshing change of pace kind of thing.
    Why would Anet spend time, energy and (most of all) money on something that most people will just skip after the first time? Why would anyone take the subway if you can maptravel? Why would anyone want to wait for 2 minutes in which basically nothing happens? It makes a nice toiletbreak, but I don't think that is the idea, right?

The traveling could be part of the gameplay and events could happen on it. This would make it worthwhile for people to ride it. Im sure it can be implemented in useful ways.

Quote Originally Posted by DutchSmurf View Post
    Why would Anet spend time, energy and (most of all) money on something that most people will just skip after the first time? Why would anyone take the subway if you can maptravel? Why would anyone want to wait for 2 minutes in which basically nothing happens? It makes a nice toiletbreak, but I don't think that is the idea, right?
    Automated travelling has no place in gaming at all, IMO. It serves no purpose other than as a delay (and that has no value in itself).

The "hardcore" solution, would be travelling that required actual gaming - i.e. if you need get somewhere, you run there (or use Asura gates, or whatever). This would be immersive for sure, but unless there were Asura gates in /every/ outpost, it would prevent people from partying up efficiently (half guild gaming night would go to waste just gathering people for a party).

The most casual-friendly alternative is what we have now; instant map travel. You can assemble a party within minutes, as long as all characters have been to that place before.
    Last edited by Sunbane; 31-08-2009 at 14:23.

Forced automated travel = bad. Optional can be pretty great, though. I never missed an opportunity to take a mountain lift ride in Midwinter, for instance. Granted, I can't think of any more recent examples...

Personally, I wouldn't mind some "encouragement" to travel without the map. Maybe limit map travel to places with Asura gates (which should be major city outposts and PvP arenas). Then have some scroll system that allows travel to any other visited location, but at a cost.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raire View Post
    Forced automated travel = bad. Optional can be pretty great, though. I never missed an opportunity to take a mountain lift ride in Midwinter, for instance. Granted, I can't think of any more recent examples...
    Put these things in for the first trip through. You can repeat the trip if you want for fun.

Keep the map travel for those who just want to get to the action quick.

I've tried both ways. Taking a boat with friends can be a fun, immersive experience. Taking a bird by yourself gets old fast, especially with trips that take upwards of 1 minute. And the problem is larger when taking long multi-stage trips. I'd also add a "skip" button like a cinematic skip.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

I don't want to take a trip, I just want an explanation for instant map-travel. Morrowind is a good example. You take the silt strider, a large bug that can travel quickly across terrain and is too big to be hurt by anything smaller than a sandstorm. You don't see yourself traveling on this large insect, you simply walk up to the silt strider master, choose the city you want to go to (for a fee), and you're there.

The boat that takes you cross-campaign is a great example (except I don't think that popping up your map in the middle of the Desolation, putting your finger on the boat and clicking your heels three times is acceptable).

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

GuildWars Online [GWO] ||| The Order of Dii [Dii] |||
    I already said it.

Given how there are Asura's Gates, give each player a portable teleport stone that links to these Gates.

What better and simpler explanation can you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeon Lion View Post
    give each player a portable teleport stone that links to these Gates.

What better and simpler explanation can you want?
    I don't want a simpler explanation, I want more diverse, interesting, and less lame excuses for such things.

With your warp stones, why not just be able to warp anywhere at any given time? Why not choose x and y coordinates down to the fourth decimal? Let's give them to the dragons, too.