PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Soul Reaping changed - possible changes to the cost of necro skills?

yeah i know - it kinda looks like i missed the forum doesnt it?

the question is - with all the changes to the energy gain of the inspiration skills - shouldnt that mean we should get cheaper skills also?

heres the post from Gaile:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaile View Post
    Hey, there,

I just spoke with James Phinney, and he and other designers are actively reading this thread. Your comments are really helpful, so here's a bit of news, and a request, too:

Skills Still in Testing: In general, we're still testing the skills that were rolled out in the build of last Thursday. They aren't done and dusted, but will be tweaked over the next several days, even over a week or two.

Soul Reaping Concerns: Energy costs are being looked at very critically as they related to SR and you will most likely see several reductions in Energy costs for SR-related skills in an upcoming build. We previously adjusted Energy costs for minion users, and James and team feel it's fair to consider similar adjustments for the Blood- and Curse-focused. Also, MMs may see a few more changes, but that remains to be seen.

How You Can Help: We need to see your builds in order to really assess how the changes have affected each of you, individually. The posts with the build here are great! But we are getting pretty much one side of the equation, in that the posts with detailed build info are mostly coming from those who feel that SR is reasonable. Players who have the opposite opinion -- who feel that SR is really disadvantaged with last week's changes -- should post your build, so that we can review it (even test it ) and come to the proper conclusion at the situation. So if you feel that SR has problems, please give us your skill bar.

Thanks for your feedback. You post; we'll continue to read.
    because the cost of the mesmer skills HAD to be considered with the old energy gain in mind - and now that most of that energy gain is gone - how about reducing it?
    since this would be one of the ways to balance inspiration too! a primary mesmer will use inpiration to fuel up their mesmer skills (primarily!) - and if they become cheaper - inspiration becomes more effecient WITHOUT opening room for possible abuse by secondary classes! imagine Backfire costing 10 energy! what good is that to a monk? will they dump RoF and bring Backfire now?

so in light of the possible changes to the necros - i propose that the energy cost of the mesmer skills is also looked at and balanced accordingly to the changes to our energy gaining skills!

edit: ARRRRR crap!
    soulD reaping?!?!??!
    ohh jeez - i see it now!! this will haunt me till the end of my days!
    Last edited by upier; 10-04-2007 at 10:33.

I doubt that they will change the Mesmer's skills too. In the end a Mesmer has to use every little trick to stay alive, while other, more popular, classes get changed positively.

For me the change to Soul Reaping was well done and shouldn't result in another change for Spell costs. The Mesmer Forum is full of suggestions to support PvE play, but nothing was changed so far. The Mesmers popularity is to low; I hope the so awaited "more PvE options" will change it.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Cheaper necro skills is still good news for mesmers. I for one find Me/N builds some of the hardest to manage energy-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
    Cheaper necro skills is still good news for mesmers. I for one find Me/N builds some of the hardest to manage energy-wise.
    A good point. Gaile said they'd be cutting costs on some of the blood/curse spells, which is long overdue good news for Me/Ns.

The thing isn't that the soul reaping change was that crippling... it's just that it happened all at once, and everyone was whining about it.

Anet's forced to make a change because of the sheer volume/force of the Necro response, where with Mesmers, all the whining has been coming since day 1 of release, as people struggled to be effective in PvE with their mesmers.

Sadly, I think Necromancers are just more effective than Mesmers in so many ways. They can't shutdown, true, but so many necro skills have effects that come in pairs... Degen along with damage. Healing along with a minor degen cover hex. Self healing with degen, all on skills with some combination of lower cost, shorter cast, shorter recharges & longer durations.

To get back on topic:
    Me/Any - PvE Mesmer Build

14 Illusion
    11 Inspiration
    9 Fast Cast

Equip: Dream Haunter + Straw Effigy (Illusion), Armor with 1x Attunement rune.

Images of Remorse
    Conjure Phantasm
    Clumsiness
    Ether Feast
    Power Return
    Arcane Conundrum
    Energy Tap
    Rez or Illusion of Weakness

Status: Trouble with energy despite bringing relatively low cost (less than 15) skills and a single energy management. Trouble hits as Energy Tap is recharging, and in a one-minute battle, there is about 5-15 seconds of inactivity. More if a battle drags on and there is no time to recoup. Inactivity over 1/6th of the time, by loose estimate.

Have used Mantra of Recall, but there are timing problems with the energy management there, even if it provides more energy.

when will those changes come for Lyssa's sake!

Quote Originally Posted by Redwinter View Post
    They can't shutdown, true
    Actually they do.

Well of silence :

"Exploit target corpse to create a Well of Silence for 10...26 seconds. Foes within the well cannot use Shouts or Chants and suffer -1...3 Health degeneration."

They can also dispel enchantments and interupt...

Hum remember me what is the speciality of the mesmer ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouveur View Post
    Actually they do.

Well of silence :

"Exploit target corpse to create a Well of Silence for 10...26 seconds. Foes within the well cannot use Shouts or Chants and suffer -1...3 Health degeneration."

They can also dispel enchantments and interupt...

Hum remember me what is the speciality of the mesmer ?
    looking fabulous?

GWOnline.Net Member
    A PvE necromancer can shut-down a target with Spinal Shivers. I wish my mesmer had an interrupt that effective.

What other professions seem to have, and mesmers lack, is AoE whining skills. But we're improving.
    Last edited by Wayward; 10-04-2007 at 16:02.

One day PvPers will complaint about how the mesmers look too good compared to others classes and A.net will quicky nerf our beautiful armors...

A.net always listen almost immediatly to any complaints against the mesmer class, far more than to any other class (just compare the time between the complaint and the nerf for ranger's spirit spam and the time between complaint and nerf for any other mesmer's skill).

If A.net don't want an efficient mesmer class in PvP, then they can remove it completely from PvP and unnerf it for the PvE.