PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

GW2 Taking a Page from WoW

An example of event [or event chain, as ArenaNet describes it] might be: You suddenly notice a dragon flying overhead. Any player in the area may choose either to help drive away the dragon or to ignore it altogether. If the dragon is successfully driven off, anyone who participated in its defeat receives a reward. If its not defeated, it swoops down and destroys a bridge. Nearby bandits begin attacking the workers, and nearby players who successfully defend them from bandits receive a reward. AreaNet cites this example as a "Very simple event chain -" Author: Kristen Salvatore PCGamer may 2007 edition
    To say that gw took a page from WoW in this aspect is a good thing and a step forward. One of the things that gets tiring in gw is the same pattern taking foes we meet in the open field. GW2 is introducing a random event generator sorta speak, at least to my understanding.

In WoW, you step out of a town and something random may be confronted. Likewise GW2 is going that direction. A direction that I am soo delighted about. This will breath fresh new life into a already strong genre. What do you folks think about this "Event Chain."?
    Last edited by Black; 13-04-2007 at 07:23.

Random stuff happened in WoW? O.o The only thing random I ever noticed in WoW was wether or not there was a naked party in Goldshire, or if their was Horde skeletons scattered around the outside of Stormwind.

Nothing really random ever happened with the monsters to my knowledge. You could run around the same area and not see anything different except for the people.

GWOnline.Net Member
    It isn't really taking a page from WoW anyway. This topic could've been valid with the title "GW2 Taking a Page from Diablo".

It is a fun idea though, I hope it doesn't turn out to be something like their ideas for dynamic world-changing quest paths in Guild Wars 1 did.

GWOnline.Net Member
    how does this exist in WoW?

gibbonesnah

Random in WoW? ehh?

Umm... i've played WoW since it was released... and there's hardly ANYTHING random besides getting ganked by a random PvP-player now and then.

There has been a couple of "random" events in the past, but i can only recall 4, maybe 5 of those in the entire timespan of the game.

Maybe you should rethink your statement.. or just the title of the topic

Although i'd love a random generator, it would add so much to GW2...

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    In WoW, you step out of a town and something random may be confronted. Likewise GW2 is going that direction. A direction that I am soo delighted about. This will breath fresh new life into a already strong genre. What do you folks think about this "Event Chain."?
    The wonderful random (?) event you are referring to is the regular raid by Lord Kazzak who visits usually Orgrimmar or Ironforge.

You do not seem to know a lot of MMORPGs, and not even WoW judging from this improper comparsion. Is WoW really the mother of everything in the universe? Only if you do not know it better.

Its not the mother, just the evil step-sister... Its highly popular (which gold farmers) so therefore everyone compares games to it. hehe

tbh i actually think that that bunny outside Stormwind moves randomly...

never met the guy in the same place.

or maybe that's because the wolf eats it everytime?

not sure...

Quote Originally Posted by halfthought View Post
    how does this exist in WoW?
    Because WoW has invented everything on the earth. Wow is mother of all ideas and all things that existed, exist, and will exist

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    To say that gw took a page from WoW in this aspect is a good thing and a step forward. One of the things that gets tiring in gw is the same pattern taking foes we meet in the open field. GW2 is introducing a random event generator sorta speak, at least to my understanding.

Actually it does not. "Event Chains" with an impact on the world as described above do not happen in WoW. WoW currently is much more like an open "Sandbox" or "Theme Park" oriented approach. The player can go where he wants and "ride all the attractions" (read: Quests/Instances) but the world as such is static.

Or was that post just Flamebait anyways ? lol