PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hard Mode Eternal Grove Mastery: The Mesmers Way (Guide)

Im going to do this a bit more often i suppose. If i come across a mission tough enough to actually make me fail more than once, I am going to make a guide out of it heh.

A Bit of Intro
    Eternal Grove is one of my few favorite 8 player party missions because if you do it solo (Hero/Hench), it takes the best out of your ability to take command of your squad. In this mission, you really have to lead your squad of NPCs...chilling out while they instead do everything isnt going to work.

Setup
    You are all learned mesmers, just take a look at these and you will know what skills I have used for myself and my Heroes

If you dont no worries, here are the template codes
    Mesmer
    OQNFArwj1yHjOAGoB4AOhlAJBNC
    Razah
    OAKkgFgq4Sqzysa+NLnnto9j74C
    Olias
    OgNDsMz/IIz7MNqz6A1QjAA

Key skills and what you need to know about them
    1. Signet of Midnight: One boss will give you huge huge trouble. The Afflicted Makala. This warrior boss will drop you party one by one and this will prevent him from doing so.
    2. Infuse Health: You are the captain of your squad, most of the job you are going to do will be inside the grove. You need something to help protect your assets inside; use this to heal hurt tree singers and to prolong the life of juggernauts. Danika will help heal your HP back to full so you can use this repeatedly.
    3. Water Magic: This is your ultimate defense you have ward v harm against afflicted rangers and elementalist, you have blurred vision for attacks, and a snare + cynns firestorm will make meleers waste so much time walking away and back instead of attacking.
    4. Blood of the Master: You need to keep an eye on this thing. There comes parts where you need to turn it off. (SHIFT+CLICK the skill to turn it off)

Walkthrough

Dont forget to click hard mode before clicking enter mission ^^;;

Act 1: Luxon Seige
    ### Briefing ###
    This part is the easy part, all you need to do is to keep an eye on luxon assault teams. These teams of 2-3 luxons will come to the grove to directly harm the singers. They are your priority they pose the greatest danger to the tree singers. Yes, believe me...the seige turtles here suck.

In between several waves of assault teams, siege groups will come which consists of a siege turtle and 2-3 Luxon Rangers. There will always be 2 seige turtles waves per direction (You face west when you begin the mission) 2 North, 2 West, 2 South. 1 Turtle doesnt do anything to singers, they usually heal before the next jade cannon hit. If 2 turtles are firing their jade cannons at the same group of singers, they can die if you do not try to start healing them with infuse health so pay attention.

### Step by Step ###
    -When the mission starts, quickly rush and head for the western front (go directly forward). Set up spirits there before the warrior group comes so you have the first strike advantage.

-Use your sig of midnight and epidemic combo to neuter their offense. Otherwise they can cause huge damage spikes that will give you early DP.
    -After the warriors are all dead, move the flag a bit further west so your team can reach the rangers and beat on them. After this, run back to the grove.

-By this time the 3 juggernauts should be ready. Talk to them and lead them to the north gate quickly and talk to them again to tell them to hold position.
    -Once Danika boasts about how these Luxons are no match to us, flag your team back to the grove. Position them on the South Gate.

-Remember that your priority are assault teams. You can take them on your own as long as danika heals you. Remember that the juggernauts will not attack the luxons unless you are close to them. So make sure you assist them by dropping empathy, blinds and heals.
    -Whenever there are no more assault teams at the south gate, send your team to fight the luxon siege teams on the southern front.
    -Dont worry about North front siege teams, you need to focus on warding off assault teams. Make sure to bring newly spawned juggernauts back to the north gate in case they die.
    -Because you are leaving north siege groups alone, its possible there will soon be 2 turtles; make sure you heal the northern singers
    -Once a siege team comes at the western front, you are close to the end of Act 1. Make sure the south is completely safe (you already fought 2 turtles in this front) and no new assault teams are coming. Send your team to dispose of the northerns siege groups.
    -Do not mind the 2nd western front siege group. Kill them last because once you do. Act 1 ends.

IGN: Nobleman Azure Me/X [Retired]

Saying PVE is a no brains mode of gameplay doesn't hold water. There are parts here and there where you have to be tactically alert.
    To a point where its more "thinking" than copying metagame builds.

Act 2: The Afflicted Rush
    ### Briefing ###
    -Be Alert, this part is very tough so dont fret if you dont get it the first few times.
    -You need to watch everything.
    >>Are the tree singers safe?
    >>Do the juggernauts need to be repositioned?
    >>Is your team struggling?
    >>Is Mhenlo still alive?
    >>Which gate needs assistance?
    >>Is the warrior boss here?

### Step by Step ###
    -Before the afflicted attacks, you have time to prepare. So dont rush, make sure everything is ready for battle.
    -Flag your team at the south gate, because they move forward its safe to flag them behind the 2 new luxon longbowmen you have assisting you.
    -Turn off Olias' blood of the master and start telling razah to create spirits. Create the long lasting ones first of course; pain bloodsong and so on.
    -If your juggernauts arent in the north gate, move them there. This is the best position for them because mhenlo will heal them.

-Wave 1 will come from the western front. They will then split in two, the majority will go to the south gate which is good because you have more offensive power in this gate. Let your squad take care of it automatically.
    -Assist the north gate, most of them will be meleers so spread some blind. Heal the juggernauts while making sure danika has your back as you do.

-Another wave will come from the southern front. This wave wll include afflicted makala. He is your priority!!. Blind him and spread it if applicable, empathy him, sof him, and spam calls on him because he needs to die.
    -Once makala is dead kill the remaining of the waves giving assist to which gate needs it the most. Dont forget to watch the tree singers.
    -If the number of enemies becomes small in the southern gate, give north gate some power by bringing olias over. make sure you watch him if mhenlo is dead, you will be olias' healer should he get attacked.

-If you survived that, good job. That was the hard part. Check your mission log [L]. It should say you have 3 groups of afflicted remaining. You now have time to re-setup
    -This time, bring the juggernauts to the south gate, and your party north. There will be very small amounts of enemies attacking south gate now the juggernauts and your ability to assist is good enough to hold it as long as danika still has your back.
    -If things get ugly, bring razah with you and the juggernauts to protect the south gate.
    -After all that you should have one group remaining. You have time to set things up again

-The last group might split, it could send 2-3 afflicted south and the rest north so keep your juggernauts guarding south gate. Make sure you watch them, they cant handle it without your help.
    -This group will have 2 bosses. Once the south gate is clearbring the juggernauts with you and take on the ritualist boss first while blinding the assassin.

If you got past that, congratulations. You mastered one of the harder missions of the factions campaign....solo.

Saying PVE is a no brains mode of gameplay doesn't hold water. There are parts here and there where you have to be tactically alert.

nice guide, also if you keep any luxon rangers with the turtles alive they will side with you when the afflicted come giving you a nice boost in bodies - dead or alive ^^

Nice guide.

Quote Originally Posted by PheBelladona View Post
    nice guide, also if you keep any luxon rangers with the turtles alive they will side with you when the afflicted come giving you a nice boost in bodies - dead or alive ^^
    True, I tried that but its sort of a gamble, sometimes the rangers are the only one that will side with you, sometimes its the seige turtle.

wow. This is (in my opinion) one of the truest show of "skill" in pve.

/bows in respect

Honestly, I couldn't master it, only get experts, and ended up getting 3 friends and 4 heros.
    Last edited by halfthought; 04-05-2007 at 00:00.

Quote Originally Posted by halfthought View Post
    wow. This is (in my opinion) one of the truest show of "skill" in pve.

/bows in respect

Honestly, I couldn't master it, only get experts, and ended up getting 3 friends and 4 heros.
    experts is still a feat. One singer dying is probably just a simple slip up. If you can finish it with experts reward in time I dont doubt you can get masters no sweat.

Sorry about this. I completely forgot about Zhed's build. Just came to attention thanks to a PM

Zhed:
    OgNDsMz/IIz7MNqz6A1QjAA

Glyph of Lesser Energy
    Ward Against Harm
    Ice Spikes
    Deep Freeze
    Blurred Vision
    Reverse Hex
    Water Attunement
    Ressurection Signet

Wow.

/kneels

very nice and very skillfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobleman Azure View Post
    Sorry about this. I completely forgot about Zhed's build. Just came to attention thanks to a PM

Zhed:
    OgNDsMz/IIz7MNqz6A1QjAA

Glyph of Lesser Energy
    Ward Against Harm
    Ice Spikes
    Deep Freeze
    Blurred Vision
    Reverse Hex
    Water Attunement
    Ressurection Signet
    Thank you.

Since I don't have the luxuary of dual monitors, I'm planning on printing this out and read as I go.
    The H/h thing works really well, but somehow after the first wave (warrior + backup by rangers) I tend to panic and lose my sense of direction/priorities. There is alot to watch out for.

Basicly after reading this guide again, you only deal with enemies on the inside and not on the outside? (eg, you send your team away while you heal/watch the singers/juggernauts?)

Pfff, hard one, but I figured out blocking gates with juggernauts seems half the work, so does planting flags. Where I am suppose to be all the time, that is something I not yet figured out fully.

Great guide nonetheless!