PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Same thing applies. Anything below 12 in a weapon mastery does drastically lower damage. And I didn't notice his rune setup, I thought he was gonna put a major leadership+headpiece which would pop it to 13. In any case, it's all the more reason to drop Motivation and boost Leadership to 13 and Spear to 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Fownkaymownkay View Post
    Same thing applies. Anything below 12 in a weapon mastery does drastically lower damage. And I didn't notice his rune setup, I thought he was gonna put a major leadership+headpiece which would pop it to 13. In any case, it's all the more reason to drop Motivation and boost Leadership to 13 and Spear to 12.
    Does this mean I have to go back and re-Vanquish Elona with a better build?

Seriously, don't let breakpoints limit your experimentation. 3 free strikes every 10 seconds has been quite useful. 33% more adrenaline looks good on paper, but as the game doesn't keep track of wasted strikes, it's hard to say exactly how much more usable adrenaline you get at 13 Command. It's definitely below 33% in a fluid melee, as I find myself wasting even the 3 Morgahn currently provides more often than I'd like to.

On Morgahn's damage, by my calculation, the crit-adjusted average difference between 11 and 13 Spear vs AL 60 is around 3 points. The difference goes down as armor goes up. That takes into account the approximately 3% higher crit rate at 13, and higher EffDR. The avg base difference for Spear of Lightning vs AL60 is around 4 points, and you get 1 more point of bonus damage at 13.

Not that I did those calculations before setting his attrib to 11. But I've run 11 in a weapon attrib before, and I know it's still nothing to ignore.

But your suggestions are valid. All the skills you listed have their uses, and I've experimented with all of them on Morgahn's bar. Just thought I'd contribute something that's gotten its fair share of stress testing. Feel free to use or discard pieces of it as you see fit. I recommend trying it before you judge it too harshly, though.
    Last edited by semantic; 27-05-2007 at 13:29.

Oh. You're right.

But.

If you feel that 3 strikes is almost a surplus, why don't you drop Leadership down to 7+1 and bump up your Motivation a notch or two? 8 Leadership still gives a +3 AoFu and decent energy management. (You'll only be losing out on 1 energy per shout.) That, my friend, is the beauty of breakpoints. If 8 and 11 in Leadership are the same, why waste the extra attributes?

Hey, nice idea. I hadn't considered dropping his Leadership. I may try flipping the attribs on that and MOT, and maybe running Zealous Anthem instead of the Ballad.

Also, I forgot to mention I'm wearing Leadership headgear, so my point spread is: 13S, 12L, 11C

RoT (Particularly Gate of Pain) has got me stumped. I find it hard to clear this place without at least accumulating 15-30% DP. Any suggestions? (With a human party it isn't so bad, 15% tops, but I'm talking about H/H)

Party composition:

Paragon - Warchief
    Necromancer - SS
    Dervish - AoM Derv
    Monk - WoH
    -----
    Henches: Kihm, Gehraz, Odurra, Eve

All of the builds that I've tried WORK, it's just that none of 'em can get me out of the place with 15% DP or less. It's usually in the 20's. One of the builds that worked best was the Dual Hammer+Curse Necro+AoFu setup. That and the one I'm running above.
    Last edited by Fownkaymownkay; 30-05-2007 at 18:38.

Hi!

First: Nice compendium....thx for that!

The link to the hero-setup under the "Furious Leader" is broken.

Barghest

I haven't seen these floating around so I'll post them and see what is what.

Blazing Soldier
    [build name="Blazing Soldier" prof=Paragon/Warrior Command=8+1 Leadership=12+3+1 SpearMastery=10+2][Spear of Fury][Go for the Eye's][Anthem of Flame][They're on Fire][Save Yourselves][There's Nothing to Fear][Focused Anger][Signet of Return][/build]

Note: With a +30 spear and +30 shield health (adding vigor rune and one vitae) health is in the 480+ range no to bad. Also Spear of Fury and Save Yourself requires a Luxon/Kurzick title rank of at least 1. If you do not have that I suggest Aggressive Refrain and Vicious Spear. While Leadership does not need to be at 16 its rank allows you to overlap There's Nothing to Fear (at 12 seconds w/ only a 10 recharge) and provide extra protection with They're on Fire.

Usage: First off it is good to bring one hero/player that has the power to repeatability cause burning. The more burning spread the more effective the whole build is. The idea is simply stay within shouting range of the party and provide party-wide protection and buffs (in the cause of GftE and AoF). Spear of Fury can cause some damage but it is mainly a way to collect adrenaline, spread your burning love and cause damage use it on targets that are already suffering a condition.

Overall the build is design to protect and works wonders in hard mode or any place where extra protection is needed. That said like other shouters this build has a weakness in the Desolation against the Awakened Defilers, carrying an extra Hex removal in the team (even Expel Hexes) often clears that one weakness up.
    Last edited by Auntie I; 13-05-2008 at 00:17. Reason: Updating with Build

No reason to overlap TNtF. In fact, it's bad if you do since you don't get the heal that way. Exchange the Sup Leadership for a Minor and run it at 12 (10+1+1). That way you can boost Command to 12 also (11+1). That'll put your health in the 550+ range.

Also, if you're running a tank in the party try Blazing Finale instead of Anthem of Flame. It's brilliant. Put it on Koss at the start of the fight, then when it recharges put it on a caster if they're getting chased. Tends to discourage AI melee a bit.

Personally I prefer a Rune of Clarity (decreases Blind and Weakness) to the Vitae. Dunkoro is pretty good about removing conditions, but just in case he's out of E.
    Last edited by semantic; 05-08-2007 at 06:20.

Quote Originally Posted by semantic View Post
    No reason to overlap TNtF. In fact, it's bad if you do since you don't get the heal that way.
    Ive never found the heal from ending the shout that important in fact with this build if I want the heal I just let the shout end and get it or I get the option of simply re-applying the shout and keep the protection running. In most cases of extreme pressure like the stupid Ruby Djinn in HM keeping this skill up all the time has been more important by stopping health loss then ending the shout and gaining the marginal heal it provides.

Exchange the Sup Leadership for a Minor and run it at 12 (10+1+1). That way you can boost Command to 12 also (11+1). That'll put your health in the 550+ range.
    Command really doesn't need to be that high, no real point except for the +10% for "Go for the Eyes". Instead if you wanted that route go 12/10/8 with with Spear as the 12 (13 with a 12+1 or 14 with a 12+2), Leadership as the 10 (12 with a 10+1+1) and Command the 8 (9 with a 8+1) and flip out Spear of Fury for some other spear attack or flip something else out and add a spear attack to take advantage of the extra spear points.

Thing is Ive never really been in a position where 550+ health was really, really important for a spear thrower. Maybe I'm use to the 480 health as I've often played characters running in the 490-500 range so all that health for a ranged character seems sorta excessive.

Also, if you're running a tank in the party try Blazing Finale instead of Anthem of Flame. It's brilliant. Put it on Koss at the start of the fight, then when it recharges put it on a caster if they're getting chased. Tends to discourage AI melee a bit.
    That can work extremely well if one keeps in mind that your losing a source of energy (3 points in this case or you wanting it knocked to 12 leadership 2 points) as well as the ability to allow everyone with an attack skill to cause burning (something that is good with a Barrage ranger or people that attack different targets) plus in the case of adding Aggressive Refrain a cheap source of maintaining it between battles. If one understands that Blazing Finale can be a powerful and viable replacement.
    Last edited by rentauri; 05-08-2007 at 08:54.

Come on guys, have there been NO new builds since GWEN came out? (Well, I know there have, but at least put em up here!)