PC Gaming News
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Awesome! Can't wait to see it when it's done. :)

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Here is an interesting tidbit of information from the Nightfall Manuscripts:

*spoiler*

"Civilizations arise to defend humanity, but sometimes civilizations fail." (Nightfall 24)

I believe that is a nod to the Mursaat and their attempted imprisonment of Abaddon. Notice it doesn't say "Humans rise up" or "Heros rise up", it distinctly says "civilizations rise up". From the context of the Manuscripts, they are speaking about the recent past. The only civilization to fall recently in Guild Wars is that of the Mursaat. Thus I believe this sentence to mean "The Mursaat rose up to defend humanity (or the world), but were destroyed."

Obviously, this is only one possible interpretation of the statement, but in context with the rest of the game, the Mursaat seem to make the most sense in this context.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

I see nothing that says that the mursaat have shown any benevolence toward humanity.

Seriously, we have no idea what was in there besides the titans. Maybe if we went through the door too soon we would find Abaddon in a state that we could re-bind or even kill him? Maybe the the Mursaat themselves didn't know what was there, maybe they thought it could kill them (or maybe Abaddon really would!)

The Mursaat *have*, however, shown malice toward humans. And don't say demanding human sacrifice is their way of saying "Hello we respect your culture and only want to save you." They took over a nation and killed at a whim in order to expand their power to meet their own ends.

Seriously, that just seems to me to be referring to *us* and saying we don't *have* to succeed. It seems to me to be just building suspense...

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Actually, my research has shown that Abaddon does have a link to the Door of Komalie. Also, official sources have confirmed that the Lich and Shiro were both under Abaddon's influence (how, we don't know yet). The Lich was trying hard to destroy the Mursaat and open the Door of Komalie.

We don't know much about the Mursaat, and I would hardly call their actions "malice", especially since they were the only things standing between the world and destruction by the Titans for at least 300 years.

As for benevolence, it's not like they stopped the Charr from invading Kryta or anything...
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Here's an interesting thing I noticed. While it is believed that the White Mantle symbol is actually a stylized Mursaat, an idea first proposed by Eratimus, and one which I support, the symbol could also reasonably be argued to bear a resemblence to a Seer.

Quote Originally Posted by Drec Sutal View Post
    I see nothing that says that the mursaat have shown any benevolence toward humanity.

Seriously, we have no idea what was in there besides the titans. Maybe if we went through the door too soon we would find Abaddon in a state that we could re-bind or even kill him? Maybe the the Mursaat themselves didn't know what was there, maybe they thought it could kill them (or maybe Abaddon really would!)

The Mursaat *have*, however, shown malice toward humans. And don't say demanding human sacrifice is their way of saying "Hello we respect your culture and only want to save you." They took over a nation and killed at a whim in order to expand their power to meet their own ends.

Seriously, that just seems to me to be referring to *us* and saying we don't *have* to succeed. It seems to me to be just building suspense...
    Actually, if you recall, the prophecies had deemed it that the chosen would kill the Mursaat. If you think about it, they were acting in the best interest of the world. Kill a few to save many. If they die, how can they protect the world? Who would stand up in their place?

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius
    Here's an interesting thing I noticed. While it is believed that the White Mantle symbol is actually a stylized Mursaat, an idea first proposed by Eratimus, and one which I support, the symbol could also reasonably be argued to bear a resemblance to a Seer.
    The only thing about a Seer is that the White Mantle don't really know of them, as far as I can tell. The Mursaat do, but that still holds no sway over why the White Mantle would. I mean, logically, it could make sense, but realistically, wouldn't the White Mantle have (tried to) kill the Seer? As they're the arch-nemesis of the Mursaat, their gods.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    It was just an off-hand observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius View Post
    It was just an off-hand observation.
    x.x sorry, I didn't try to appear rude or snobbish.

I can see how it would appear as such, though. But could it be a possibility that the Mursaat and the Seer(s) have common ancestry? I don't know if this is mentioned anywhere.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    I believe it is quite possible. People who hate each other the greatest are often the most similar, and the similarities between the Mursaat and Seers cannot be dismissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius View Post
    I believe it is quite possible. People who hate each other the greatest are often the most similar, and the similarities between the Mursaat and Seers cannot be dismissed.
    Could it be that in the time before they ever stepped foot on Tyria that there was an argument had between the Mursaat? Perhaps there was unrest on the decision to expand onto the Tyrian continent and the arguments sparked up a civil war between the Mursaat. Maybe all the Mursaat that disagreed with the idea to expand were captured by the ones who did want to and stripped of their wings. They were then imprisoned or escaped to continue their fight against them.

We never have seen behind the Mursaat's masks or helmets. That could also explain the robes the Seers wear. They were used simply to hide the scars of where their wings used to be.

Or rather than that idea it could be that the Mursaat overthrew their council of elders or whatever. The council may have been made up of the Seers. The Mursaat still loyal to them joined on their side and waged war with the ones disloyal to them. It could be as simple as the Seers had enslaved the Mursaat as their workforce and eventually they grew in power and fought a war with them. That or it could have been the other way around,Mursaat enslaved the Seers.

Just a few ideas to toss around there.