PC Gaming News

Were there more Kurzicks than Luxons?

If you look at the actual area that the Luxons had to live on before the Jade Wind, all they have is a few tiny islands and the coastal areas to the north. In comparison, the Kurzicks had a whole forest to live in, with the majority of space up for grabs.

So, surely there were less Luxons than Kurzicks originally, purely based on living space?

I think so. If you look at some of Aeson's background, it says that:

Quote Originally Posted by Aeson
    "I am Aeson of the Crab Armada. I am something of a rarity among my people, I was born blind you see. Normally I would have been left out on the jade; given to the sea. However Master Togo convinced my father that I had rare gifts, that I could display my strength by binding spirits to my will. I owe the Master a great debt. Did you need something?"
    So if what he's saying about Luxon customs are true, then they also might have left a small amount of their children on the Jade Sea to die.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Note also that the Luxons were a seafaring society. So much of their territory would have been the open sea. They could have had considerable numbers of people at sea, especially given ships the size of the Halcyon.

And area does not necessarily equate to high population, if you have a very low population density. So the Kurzicks could easily have been spread out with smaller groups, while the Luxons (used to relatively small spaces due to their ships) have a higher population density.

Quote Originally Posted by nkuvu View Post
    Note also that the Luxons were a seafaring society. So much of their territory would have been the open sea. They could have had considerable numbers of people at sea, especially given ships the size of the Halcyon.

And area does not necessarily equate to high population, if you have a very low population density. So the Kurzicks could easily have been spread out with smaller groups, while the Luxons (used to relatively small spaces due to their ships) have a higher population density.
    But then with the conversation between Togo and Elder Rhea just before the Boreas Seabed mission, Togo says "I do not crave the wide open spaces at much as you". On the other hand, he could just be referring to the newly-created space from the Jade Wind.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    It comes down to sustainable populations, as you said. The Luxons could not have sustained a large population on a ship at sea, especially on a lifestyle of fishing or coastal raiding. The fact that they value strength is reflectant of this. They are a pre-material society, while the Kurzicks are a post-material one. The Luxons do not have time for art and music because they need to focus expressly on survival. That is why they must throw away weak or crippled children, because a weak child will not be an asset to a population which must sustain itself. In a society with a small concentrated population, it is necessary to only have strong people.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||