PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minus Ten Tease

Lightbulb Minus Ten Tease

People continue to laugh at the elite Tease. I don't care because I kinda like the concept behind it. It delvers a shorter Diversion effect of extra recharge time, but instead of disappearing after six seconds (or just for one skill), it stays up for 20s capturing any skills cast under it.

Here's my second attempt at making a viable arena build with it:

====================================
    Minus Ten Tease (Me/As)

Inspiration: 15 (12+2+1)
    Illusion: 14 (12+2)
    Fast Cast: 3

Shadow Walk: Stance will Shadow Step you next to foe and no Enchants can be cast for 30s. When it ends you return to where you used it.

Tease: Touch Hex a foe and all skills he uses recharge 2x slower or 20s; Tease ends if he hits you.
    Mantra of Persistence: Stance will make all your Illusion Hexes last 2x longer
    Illusion of Pain: For 10s (20s under MoP), this Hex causes -10 degen. Foe is healed for 15HP per HP degen lost (max 10s worth of recovery)

Inspired Hex: Remove and copy one Hex from ally for 20s, net gain +5E
    Ether Feast: Drain -3E from foe, gain +47 HP per unit drained (max +141 HP).
    Distortion: For 5s physical attacks have a 75% chance of being blocked
    Rez -or- Revealed Hex: Remove and copy one Hex from ally for 20s, net gain +5E

Build: OQdDATwDPLAUgAwC4TdAvN5M
    Gear: PkpRTPZTkiqol2I90sl0IBLFi0InRnl0Ilhrl0IBLA

A fun and different "Mesmery" build once you get used to the weird mechanics of it.

- Approach a target from spell range.
    - Go into SW stance and you'll Shadow Step next to him with no aftercast
    - Immediately touch him with Tease (next step can be done during after cast)
    - Just as it is finished being applied, activate Mantra of Persistence to Shadow Step back
    - Immediately cast Illusion of Pain from full spell range.
    - Target foe now has 2x extra recharge on any skill use, and he's also under -10 degen for 20s

All of this happens in the blink of an eye. You can zig-zag out of wand range and watch him suffer from a difference. Everyone responds differently. Some wait and lose health while running in circles, some spam their skills to stay alive, only to lose them for awhile. As you watch, decide how you want to proceed as the Hexes work their magic.

If he stops casting for 20s, great because he's still losing life and is volunteering to shut down. If he uses skills, they get the 2x penalty imposed and he can't use them regularly. If he takes away IoP with something like Deny Hexes for example (which also can remove Tease), that's a 24s penalty before he can remove Hexes again. As for you, apply another IoP Hex as needed, which restarts the 20s Hex timer with likely no way for your foe to remove it this time.

While the longest recharges can be imposed on Mesmers, spirit Rits, and Eles, classes with shorter recharges (Assassins, Monks) also feel the pressure because their execution flow is all screwed up. Simply standing around for 20s with Tease under a -10 degen cover Hex is not an easy thing to deal with on his own, and characters like Rangers lose their ability to impose their attack will on your team if the recharges slow down their attacks.

You'll find quite a few RA opponents just wither away and die trying to deal with it as heals get punished while you keep reapplying IoP. And if the target is important enough to keep shutdown, you can Tease/IoP him again 20s later (manually under Distortion this time until SW is ready).

What if IoP expires or is removed? He gets healed for +15HP per second it Hexed him, but a maximum of 10s worth of healing (+150 HP). A full 10s of -10 degen does -200 HP loss, so he suffers from a net -50 under normal circumstances. However, under MoP it lasts 20s and he doesn't getHP for seconds 11 - 20.

If an MoP-->IoP lasts 20s and expires, he suffers from a net -250 health loss from the heal. If you recast it at 20s, he suffered -400 HP. When your team is also attacking, this "damage" has an effect on getting faster kills.

Defense is great; a full 5s Distortion and and near-max health recovery from Ether Feast. Energy is fine if you learn to be good at estimating when another IoP needs to be applied. IHex was added because it gives another minor defense aide to remove Life Transfer or Shadow Prison and the like, plus it gives some bonus energy (use it on a team mate if you don't need it).

There it is... some enjoyable pressure annoyance in one setup. I'll keep playing it for awhile to add more thoughts later.
    Last edited by arredondo; 08-06-2007 at 09:55.

The only thing I'd point out is that with hexes being as popular as they are these days, people tend to carry some extra hex removal.. so there's a good chance Tease will just be removed by someone else (of course, since nobody but nobody uses tease, there's a good chance the target won't even realize what it's for before he's eaten an extra recharge or two).

Looks fun, though. I realized Shadow Walk / Tease had a very nice synergy a while back (though I was considering canceling with MoI and packing a few signets instead - this seems more generally useful), and came to the conclusion that Tease doesn't suck... it's a decent elite (if a bit of a gamble), held up by a rather demanding delivery system.

Well Tease is covered in less than one second. One cover Hex works well in arenas, and your cover (IoP) recharges every 5s. Because Shadow Walk is a stance, you immediately get to cast Tease (a .65s cast BTW) with no delay unlike if you used a spell like Shadow Prison.

And even though Tease has a .75 aftercast, you cancel it with MoP stance use as you teleport back. Again because MoP is a stance, you can instantly cast IoP (about a .8s cast) from spell range. It is re-applied every 5s if need be, otherwise once every 17s or so.

In my play, Tease was only most often removed by Holy Veil users. They get penalized for it, so my IoP can be safely put back on for max -10 while HV takes its time coming back 24 long seconds later. At that time (Tease recharges in 15s) I can apply Tease and cover it before they can use HV 9s later.

I was having some fun lately with Reccuring Insecurity and Illusion of Pain. The degen cap is at -10 but with that combo of course the pressure is at -13 @ 15/16 Illusion. I read if you re-apply IoP the health regain is canceled out ( true or no ? )

Besides that the build your running looks quite fun in terms of annoying people. I've also tried running the cancel stance with Tease but I just didn't feel the effect.

The only change I would make when I do play this build would be MoP <-> AI and Inspired Hex <-> for Conjure Nightmare. The cancel stance will still be Distortion though. I like using other elites not favored, especially in the Mesmer class even if some DO stink. Arcane Langour has been grabbing my attention in RA lately as well.

sounds like fun. gonna give it a shot.

Yeah, good or not it's great to squeeze some fun out of lesser skills. So far this is actually working pretty well. It's the 20s length that makes the difference. That's too long to wait it out and do nothing, especially since I technically never let them end.

As for the healing of IoP, as soon as you recast it over an existing copy, the timer is reset but they don't get healed in the process. If this second cast expires (20s later, max 39s total IoP time), they only get healed for the max 10s, or +150 HP after they lost almost -800 HP due to degen.
    Last edited by arredondo; 09-06-2007 at 03:46.

For Arenas where hex removal is more limited this seems like a pretty funny setup.

I looked again lately at IoP since it's now 10/1/5 and it is definitely a powerful skill now with MoP in a place where hex removal is low. 20s of -10 degen is 400 damage, and the fact that they can potentially get healed for 150 if you let it end/they remove it isn't that bad. And in 4v4 you can basically keep it on 3-4 people all the time which is MASSIVE pressure if it can't be removed.

I might mess around with it just to have some fun with Tease. I don't think it's a competitive elite, but in RA you hardly care about that =p

IoP is awesome. I'm gonna echo it and see if I can keep 4 enemies Hexed by it under MoP.

Heh, well what do you know...

Exotic Strip Tease (Me/As)

Inspiration: 15 (12+2+1)
    Illusion: 14 (12+2)
    Fast Cast: 3

Shadow Walk: Stance will Shadow Step you next to foe and no Enchants can be cast for 30s. When it ends you return to where you used it.

Tease: Touch Hex a foe and all skills he uses recharge 2x slower or 20s; Tease ends if he hits you.
    Mantra of Persistence: Stance will make all your Illusion Hexes last 2x longer
    Illusion of Pain: For 10s (20s under MoP), this Hex causes -10 degen. Foe is healed for 15HP per HP degen lost (max 10s worth of recovery)

Signet of Twilight: Remove one enchant from for per Hex on him
    Ether Feast: Drain -3E from foe, gain +47 HP per unit drained (max +141 HP).
    Distortion: For 5s physical attacks have a 75% chance of being blocked
    Rez -or- Revealed Hex: Remove and copy one Hex from ally for 20s, net gain +5E

Build: OQdDATwDPLAUgAAO7TdAvN5M
    Gear: PkpRTPZTkiqol2I90sl0IBLFi0InRnl0Ilhrl0IBLA
    =================================

After you use SW, lay down Tease and use MoP to Shadow Step back to spell range, just cast IoP like before. If the coast is clear, use SoT to strip two enchants from your enemy and he is then really in a pickle.

To play with this setup, you can't waste energy, so don't use IoP too early. If you wait until MoP recharges just before '8:00" to re-apply IoP, it'll be perfect everytime. That way your strip Tease combo will consistently have the strongest effect.

GWOnline.Net Member
    I find MoP extremely energy inefficient, better replaced with spirit shackles. I also think you should try replacing inspired hex with an enchantment strip to deal with the pesky pre-veilers.

Sounds like an interesting build... what do you do about dervs though, mystic regen would seem to make Illusion of Pain pretty weak, and it's not like it has to be recast a whole lot either. I'm sure the dervs that use avatars don't really mind tease either, shoot, I would think the only dervs who would care are those who use more attack skills than anything else.