PC Gaming News
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by manitoba View Post
    No David it would not be pointless as most people who would be looking for stuff would go to the trade dists then thus creating the rewards in its own.
    Would they? Where is the incentive? You're just saying that they would, you're not providing any reasoning. If the market doesn't offer incentives in your plan then your plan won't work, and so far you have resoundingly failed to establish the existence of any such incentive. If such a trade district thing really worked, we'd already have it. We'd have people using ID1 as their trade system rather than spamming up all the lower districts looking for buyers. There isn't any reason to limit yourself to one specialized district, especially one with a limit as to the number of players.

Unless you like having the trade in regular dists, But since you seem to think monks shouldnt have a smite line you lost any credibility on any subject from me.
    I sincerely hope you're not being serious.

Aurik

Lightbulb

Hey all, I don't post often on these forums, but I do stop by from time to time.

I don't see a problem with implementing a /shop command. However, instead of the text box over the person's head...why not just have a $ sign or something else? A Green $ for someone who is selling.

If you want to find out what someone is selling just click on them to have that information pop up on your screen only.

Hiya,

Quote Originally Posted by David Holtzman View Post
    Would they? Where is the incentive? You're just saying that they would, you're not providing any reasoning. If the market doesn't offer incentives in your plan then your plan won't work, and so far you have resoundingly failed to establish the existence of any such incentive. If such a trade district thing really worked, we'd already have it. We'd have people using ID1 as their trade system rather than spamming up all the lower districts looking for buyers. There isn't any reason to limit yourself to one specialized district, especially one with a limit as to the number of players.
    I think, maybe, we should create a thread. Show us what you "need" to sell in a auction house. Hypothetically, here's your AH, go ahead and post it.

In all honesty if you have to move districts and spam or even sell, in chat only, see the many arguments on "creditability" . There is no reason to limit yourself to "in game", if you want big money.

Skill>Time, works for so many parts of this game.

Maina
    Maina Kitty. Random Benevolence Society [HELP]
    There was a young diva from Tyria, who wished to become somewhat merrier.
    She danced and she drank, she gave gifts, they cried 'thanks'.
    And they all loved that diva from Tyria.
    Sig by=ValdaRhian- Be a Pal! (Zero still has "dibs" on my stuff)

I bet the new spam filter won't stop this1
    I bet the new spam filter won't stop this2
    I bet the new spam filter won't stop this3
    I bet the new spam filter won't stop this4
    I bet the new spam filter won't stop this5
    I bet the new spam filter won't stop this6
    I bet the new spam filter won't stop this7

lmao...well maybe this will end mass recruiting via spamming as well?
    Society of the Dragon Guild Leader

Me20 Queen Roxane. R20 Queen Seradis. N20 Fae the Wicked. Mo20 Hey I know C P R. Mo20 Flashy Blue Bandaid.W17 Im Gonna Poke Ya.

Quote Originally Posted by maina View Post
    I think, maybe, we should create a thread. Show us what you "need" to sell in a auction house. Hypothetically, here's your AH, go ahead and post it.
    I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you'r asking me here. Could you perhaps clarify?

Honestly all you need is some form of ingame or game-linked database with a search function. From there you could go in any of a dozen directions but they'd all be better than what's there now. Really simply the ability for people to log items under their IGN is all that would be necessary with an automatic 2 hour expiration and a simple capture (i.e. program which generates a test a human can pass but not a computer), from where people could pm item holders, would be all that's needed. Much like anet making their own wiki linked in game, this could be done very similar with guru's /auction, which is crippled mainly by very slow servers and insufficient reknown and usage (usage being a vicious cycle in the case of a trade system, or party search feature). However as a system which is only usable if popular it would benefit more from the change than gwiki, which needs more than a small core of editors only after the release of a new campaign.

I don't understand why GW has a worse trading system than every other major online game (msg trade/local and district hop in the hope someone interested spots your WTS, limited to about 3-4 items at a time, and this is done of course in areas where everyone else is spamming the same channel) and Anet doesn't feel this is a massive priority issue to address that would require nothing like the amount of manhours required for the hero system added in NF, for example. Party search is a real embarrassment that represents a real opportunity to improve GW immesuarably but is almost never used.

Trade areas work for games with a small population, it wouldn't work for GW. Trade areas is essentially what we have now. An effective search is probably the key component of a successful trading system.

Quote Originally Posted by David Holtzman View Post
    I sincerely hope you're not being serious.
    I did show the incentive if the buyers see there is a trade dist in the towns they are more than likely to go there thus giving incentive for the sellers to follow. Otherwise not sure what kind of incentive you mean. And like I explained earlier it would cover all the 3 dists with the search panel. But now like your example the search doesnt work in all 3 dists like that and that is why the international dists isnt working for such a plan. And yes Im serious if you really think monks should have there smite line removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaile View Post
    Thanks for explaining Manitoba. I can only say that programming that district would be an enormous undertaking, and I tend to agree that if there was no enforcement of "trade only in the Trade District," its purpose would be defeated. Which would lead us back to the original question of whether we should or should not enforce the "No trade spam" rules in All (Local) Chat.

Funny how we're back at Square A, eh?
    From a technical point it wouldnt be that much of an enormous undertaking. (this is from someone who was writing games on a TRS-80 in the 80's) Its as as simple as writing the code for 1 town and applying that code to all towns. However the difficult could come in getting the search panel to work in all 3 dists. Ofcourse if your guys can get there blobs straigtened out. Back at square A? We havent even reached the hypotenus of the quadrangle yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaile
    The question I want to ask is really quite simple: Honestly, would you rather we leave trade spam unrestricted and as it is now, or would you prefer that we take steps to remove the biggest spam offenders in order to retrieve All Chat for regular users and make it less spammy and trade oriented? I'm really interested in hearing your answer to that question.
    It's disappointing that the only 'answer' that seems to have gained purchase in recent times - with regards to the question of removing spam from regular chat - is to punish players for trying to make the best of an atrocious trade system.

As someone who spends quite a lot of time trading. I would still agree that on the whole chat moderation is overdue and would be a change for the better. I still feel pangs of pity for the deluded newbie LFG Galrath in LA D1 getting swamped with trade requests. However, for me personally i think this change will do nothing but damage my gaming experience.

The trade system sucks. There is nothing adequate about about having one channel to advertise your goods, a channel that can only communicate to 50 people, most of them sellers or afk and a system that chains you to your PC.

If you want to stop people spamming WTS's, then do something to improve the trade system. Personally I think that given the opportunity, 99.98% of the people who currently try to sell their goods in public channels would happily stop if there was an alternate and effective means of conducting trade.

There have been dozens, maybe hundreds of suggestions. They all were ignored. I can't believe that ALL of these trade improvement suggestions were 'impossible'. Especially when ANet seem to have the resources to allocate staff to - or create scripts to - monitor and implement individual punishments.

Personally, I've always wanted a 'trade town' in the PVP islands, i.e. somewhere that isn't campaign specific and designated purely for trades. An improved search functionality [with filters, answering machine or something] would be nice way of bringing this solid concept out of the realm of complete uselessness. Hell if we didn't have to keep changing districts even the existing search feature might occasionally see use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaile
    Let's not talk about what you want or would like to have or dream of attaining in a limitless and pie-in-the-sky manner. Let's talk about what you realistically can have in the here and now. We're not able to offer an auction house for Guild Wars: Eye of the North. There simply isn't the bandwidth to configure that in the short term. However, we do have a Trade Channel. (Again, please, I truly do take on board that some do not feel that's enough! I just want to get to the question and not go 'round and 'round with the same comments.)
    Okies, oops, best not read the above paragraph.

The possible unintended consequences of chat moderation concern me. Because my support [not that it really matters...] hinges heavily on what ANet does to reduce collateral damage [ that movie] to the trading system.

If everything but use of the existing Trade Channel is considered 'pie-in-the-sky' then the proposed change will be disastrous. Particularly for a lot of 'regular' players who don't have the time or inclination to spam for hours on end or maintain an online store.

Trade spam spills over into regular channels because the trade channel is ineffective. If the trade channel cannot cope with the existing volume of trade requests then why would bottling it up be an improvement?

Frankly further inconveniencing trades for this minor chat improvement [which would only be noticeable in capital cities] would be a massive waste of time and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousAnger View Post
    Trade spam spills over into regular channels because the trade channel is ineffective. If the trade channel cannot cope with the existing volume of trade requests then why would bottling it up be an improvement?

Frankly further inconveniencing trades for this minor chat improvement [which would only be noticeable in capital cities] would be a massive waste of time and resources.
    ppl spam all chat because they hope that someone who is only visting town to run from the storage box to the merchant will see the chatbubble over their head and get curious. and the trade channel is ineffective because 90% of the players have it turned off unless they want to sell something.
    limiting tradespam in all chat is probably going to hurt sellers, but their real problem isnt that the trade system sucks, it is that no one really needs to buy their junk anyway.