PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    em, I suck in art too, but modern schooling sucks to a point where all you have to do is not incite a riot, and you get a B...

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    "Wise fwom your gwave!" Sorry, thought I'd necro this.

I got bored today so in among going through intros to old cartoons I decided to try again. This time with pencil and paper. I think part of the problem was that I was using a graphics tablet to draw, so I got meself a scanner (which is proving a right pain in the jacksie to use because a lot of the time it won't flipping communicate with the comp), some pencils and a ream and draw this:

I still have problems drawing hands and I think I bugger'd up the shading, but otherwise... reckon it's an improvement?

An insight into my thought process.

If your new picture was worse and monochromatic, I would have replied with

You should just cut off your hands.
    If your new picture was worse and used multiple colors, I would have replied with

You would be better off just ingesting the paint and trying to vomit a picture.
    However, I'm going to instead reply with

Yes, it is an improvement. Good job.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]

Sometimes, Azrael... you disturb.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointless View Post

Sometimes, Azrael... you disturb.
    ONLY Sometimes? Which times? 23 hours of the day?
    lol

Seriously though, what JSmurph says is true. Plus Art is perspective. Everyone is into a different form and style of art. I still can't get into that whole fecal art move at all.Seems though some people are into it.
    And sorry to the northern europeans who come here, but The Scream? Um. Still don't get it.
    Tried being a painter. I am barely BARELY able to to do that. I'm a writer. Prose and Poetry.
    And I think my stuff is wretched. My friends though think it's moving. bah.
    Look. We are our own worse critics. Though with your teacher, maybe they are looking for a specific art style. Start with a stick drawing and flesh it out.
    “You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'” George Bernard Shaw
    Become a Pal and support the site
    Purchase your copy of Nightfall today!

IGN : Maahes Callistratos - Enchanted Whirling Dervish ; Luna Nochturne - Accursed Well Necro

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointless View Post
    I still have problems drawing hands and I think I bugger'd up the shading, but otherwise... reckon it's an improvement?
    For the sake of clarity in Az's wake, yes, it's an improvement. Don't be discouraged by faces and hands--they're inherently difficult (I must have sketched my left hand a million times by now...). Also, one of the marks of amateur figure drawing is proportions, and that one's not too bad.
    The shading is just fine for what it is.

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Heeey, not bad not bad. I think the face looks more than decent, considering how hard it is, and hand is like, insanely hard: you did a nice job with your hands too.

Things you can work on (no offense, I'm trying to be constructive here ):
    -Ear: either elongate the hair a little bit to hide, or draw the bottom part of the ear
    -Jaw: by this, I mean back of the jaw, below ear. Human jawbone is wider than the neck. Try to define a little bit; line or shadow could help.
    -Collarbone: this is truly optional, but it does make a drawing look better with not much effort to add. A thin line or thin shading would do.
    -Shoes: I'd say the difficulty is comparable to hand and face. The left one is actually pretty good, the right one looks a little wide. I think the only safe way to make it look good is through practice, unfortunately.
    -Midsection: the jacket looks a little puffed. Keep it narrower than shoulder length. If you meant it to be flared, try flaring starting from waist and flare as you go down.

Now, there are definitely some things you did really well: shading, proportion, clothing for the most part, and hair.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Okay, version 2.
    I opted to try and hide the ear.
    The jaw... went to add that, but the hair kinda hides that a bit as well.
    Collarbone... I added a line, seems alright. Seems a lot thinner on the paper compared to the scanned pic though.
    I think it's safe to say that oversized foot's pretty much improved.
    And I made the jacket narrowed. I was trying for a shirt though, but...
    And I added a couple of tiny little details, like a shadow under the jacket and I tried to make his hair a bit shinier-looking.

Known my luck, I've probably buggered something up massively.

Note to self: Remember to get some lightbulbs tomorrow.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

A dead one (SF)
    My artistic skill level wouldn't be where is it today if I had given up. Giving up is the worst thing that you can do. About grades... well, just because a piece of art doesn't get high marks really doesn't mean the art itself is bad. The Impressionism artists like Van Gough and Monet had their worked bashed by art critics and the general public alike. It wasn't until later that Impressionism caught on and became a respected style. It looks like they had the last laugh.

Sure, art can be graded/judged on technical aspects such as the use of lighting, color, composition, etc., but ultimately, the only good or bad art is in the mind of the individual looking at it.

An artist's worst critic is himself.
    Last edited by Tru Reptile; 20-09-2007 at 21:02.

Unless you're trying to get into a artistic field, I don't seen why you need to be good at drawing.