PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

So you think your guild sucks and want a better one...think again.

I play GW for about 20 months. In this time I've been in guilds small and big, made of friends and made of PUGs, had my own too. Some time ago I've found myself guildless again [people stopped playing], so I thought this time I'll look for some big, respected and well known guild to make it my home.

I've found one, joined, and for first week or so, I was convinced it was the best guild-related decision I've made. I tried to get some of my friends into it, but to my surprise I learned that they already been there, and quit for certain reasons, which I argued against at the time.

But after few weeks I realised my friends were right. I was just a number on a roster. And I was not alone, there were players in the guild, who felt the same, who tried to voice their concerns on guild forums and were told that officers are not to cater to their needs and if they want something they should take care of it themselves. I tried to get some advice on how to make myself more at home.
    I got ''Whisper ppl.'' - maybe it's only me but whispering unknown players with goal of making friends seems a bit like a net perv on a hunt, and also, I have friend list to whisper to, not guild chat.
    I tried to have some discussion on alliance chat, unfortunately, they weren't idiotic spam about all things ''cookie'', nor LFG spam/title boasting, and so, were crushed by alliance authorities [''Take it to the forums please''].
    I tried to be nice and greet ppl when coming in, getting no answers from AWAYed leaders or officers, which at the same time could, while being AWAY, greet some of their friends coming in. I asked questions about the game in alliance chat, not to have them answered with simple ''I don't know'' even.

I've read Guild of the Week article about the outfit I was in. I thought, how full of lies it is, because it forgets to mention that facts stated [about guild athmosphere, in guild communication and such] only applied to maybe 5% of members, the rest, as me, were never a part of it. Apart from being on the roster.

So, after 2 months of this, I left. It was a usual day, talking in guild chat to myself again, feeling like I'm the only one in a guild. So I decided not to say goodbye or anything, as it most probably would go unnoticed anyway. To my surprise, my leaving was very quickly noticed, as I was removed from guild forums in less than a minute...

Why do I post this? To let you, fellow players, know, that sometimes big famous guilds are not that good. That maybe, if you have few friends in your small, unknown guild, they are worth more than hundreds in a famous big one, and don't be tempted to leave those friends, as it may not be worth it.
    I didn't loose friends on joining this guild, as I had no guild at the time, and my in-game friends are on the f-list. But I thought, what with those who left their small guild hoping for a better one, and have found themselves in situation like me?
    My friend list buddy was right: ''First week is great, after that they forget you exist'' - he was a member before me and left for similar reasons.

Also, I want to know if anyone had/has similar [or different] experience, just give no names please. It may be that I've just been unlucky enough to find one of a kind crap guild of the week :)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Tolerance View Post
    I've read Guild of the Week article about the outfit I was in.

MUST HAVE BEEN A GREAT GUILD YOU JOINED THEN

I'm always amazed at how many people join large, established (established being the operative word here) guilds and expect to be in the thick of things from the get go. Successful guilds are successful because core members have been around for a long time - not because the guild is large. It takes time to become a core member - and 2 months is hardly a sufficient investment. If newer members want to become known, they have to make an effort too. Idly chatting on GC/AC is not the way to go about it. Get involved. Join teams that are forming, even if it's not necessarily for a mission you need. Others will notice your willingness to get involved, and start including you on subsequent events. They'll recognize your name on GC/AC when you ask for help, and will be more willing to come to your assistance. Complaining about how no one wants to do what you want to do, when you want to do it, really doesn't help. If the guild has a forum, use it. Not to complain more about how no wants to play with you, but to see what events are going on, and sign up. Find a group of people who *are* interested in doing the things you want to do, and you'll find yourself feeling more a part of things.
    Then one day, a new member will join the guild. I bet your first reaction to a request for help will be: invest in us, and we'll invest in you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Tolerance View Post
    Why do I post this?
    Because you needed 20 ecto and noone wanted to give it to you?
    I don't know, your post just seems... rather weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozos Of Bones View Post
    Because you needed 20 ecto and noone wanted to give it to you?
    I don't know, your post just seems... rather weak.
    First, seems you can't read, I explained why I posted. Second, your post doesn't add anything here while trying to offend me [am I a beggar?]. I got all the ectos I need, I never wanted any from anyone, in or out of the guilds.
    I wish I could continue the dispute with you, but alas, I am not versed in animal sounds. Sorry.

@Res Ipsi: I am talking about some simple courtesy, or minimum of interest in whats going on below the officers' part of the roster. I'm not complaining noone wants to do what I want - I grouped with members on several occassions, when it was in my char's interest and when it wasn't. I used forum as well.
    Last edited by Zero Tolerance; 14-07-2007 at 19:29.

@Res Ipsi: I am talking about some simple courtesy, or minimum of interest in whats going on below the officers' part of the roster. I'm not complaining noone wants to do what I want - I grouped with members on several occassions, when it was in my char's interest and when it wasn't.
    So the issue wasn't that there weren't things to do, or assistance being offered, but that you felt ignored by the officers and guild leader?

Quote Originally Posted by Res Ipsi View Post
    So the issue wasn't that there weren't things to do, or assistance being offered, but that you felt ignored by the officers and guild leader?
    No complaints about events and such. Just about general lack of communication, or as it is often called ''friendly athmosphere''. However perceived, elitism is understandable, but ignoring completely member of same social group, is in my books unacceptable. Lack of courtesy is common too of course, but from people elected to perform some functions in a social group, I'd expect it.

GWOnline.Net Member
    There are two types of guilds. Casual and hardcore. You expected to get the atmosphere of a casual guild in a hardcore guild.

I've been in my guild for about 1 year now, and as someone else said:

If you join a guild don't immediatly go, Can you help me with this and this and I need this and this for my armor. But just try to join some groups and after a few days ask for some help if you need it, in our guild the policy is you get help if you help. Not like you help 1 so you can get 1 help back. But more like join some groups sometimes and we will join you too. We also have build up an alliance with helpful guilds. And I never see complaints of people not willing to communicate.

I actually had a similair experience in a guild, though not exactly the same. I never got the chance to leave, because I was kicked before I could. I'm not going to say more about the guild, because it would probably be too easy to guess which one I was in.

I know what you mean about the officers greeting their friends in the guild, but not the new or those they don't know. When I'm in a guild I usually don't care about the names, and say 'ello to everyone.
    I do remember being in an old guild, where I was much more involved, so people knew who I was. It's nice to be recognized.

Try and find a guild where you know at least 1 or more in there, or follow your friends when guilds split(Been in a guild that split, but almost all the members joined the new guild lol). If people know who you are, you will feel much more at home.