PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Natus View Post
    Too much thread closing. Makes the forum look ugly.

*Runs*
    Then make threads that don't gets locked

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Natus View Post
    Too much thread closing. Makes the forum look ugly.

*Runs*
    It does, and I usually wrestle with the idea of deleting the threads instead. However, I don't like doing that since it borders on stealth moderation and I'd rather post a blurb as to why something is being closed.

Rune (I think) made a point that I've run into many times. I find a thread on page 2 or 3 that maybe I would have liked to post in, but I don't bother because I don't know if it's become uninteresting to people or just gotten lost in the trash.
    mv

Quote Originally Posted by MixedVariety View Post
    Rune (I think) made a point that I've run into many times. I find a thread on page 2 or 3 that maybe I would have liked to post in, but I don't bother because I don't know if it's become uninteresting to people or just gotten lost in the trash.
    You can't do that though. If you can still comment appropriately then that does mean there is still come conversation left in the thread; however, if after your comment the thread dies off naturally then that is what it really was. At least, that's my take on it.

Moderator Achievements:
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinn Effer View Post
    You can't do that though. If you can still comment appropriately then that does mean there is still come conversation left in the thread; however, if after your comment the thread dies off naturally then that is what it really was. At least, that's my take on it.
    I understand and agree. However, I think a lot of people don't bother going past page 1 because they assume, whether correctly or incorrectly, that what has passed is beyond further interest. Which is actually generally the case when you don't have a bunch of uh...random stuff, pushing those threads off page 1.
    mv

Yeah, I definitely agree. I mean, personally I do look at page 2 and I do try to post meaningful threads that can have a productive discussion. They disappear naturally of course, some after page 8, others page what 23? I'm not sure, but they do generally have some nice discussion going on in them. I think that's kind of the point of the off topic forum really, being able to have long discussions about a topic, not just:

"OHHH I AM KEWLER THAN YOU"
    "NOO WAI!"

Etc -- you know what I mean.

--

As for the stealth modding comment, yeah I personally appreciate that you close threads rather than delete them. It's hard to give someone a warning if you just delete it, and it leaves room for democracy. e.g. discussing with you your decision for the closure, rather than, "Oh, well... I guess you're right, too bad though. It's already deleted." you know?

Anyways, just keep doing what you're doing.

I think "stealth modding" is okay if you're not closing the thread because of its content, but because of its lack of content.

A thread generating too much flaming should be locked, but a thread not generating anything should be deleted.

These pointless "props 2 me" and "lollercopterz ur kewl" threads are stupid, and don't deserve the spot of the thread they pushed off the first page just by existing. That's what I think, anyways.

Heh, at the risk of taking the entire page with stickies... you could make a sticky of deleted threads names, creators, and reasons.

If you have too many, you could make a sticky of links to important threads rather then having each notable thread (RL pic, youtube) stuck.

Maybe give thread creators the right to comment if they think it should be restored, but otherwise keep it clean? (I.E. don't continue the discussion in the sticky on penalty of death)

Hiya,

The community lounge has a sticky, "Threads of interest". You could do a "Games" and some sort of serious debate thread. It would just have the links to threads that "qualify" as one of those. That way a new person could find one of the threads if they happen to dip slightly off the radar.

That would keep lower, the amount of stickied threads.

Maina

EDIT= So what he said ^
    Maina Kitty. Random Benevolence Society [HELP]
    There was a young diva from Tyria, who wished to become somewhat merrier.
    She danced and she drank, she gave gifts, they cried 'thanks'.
    And they all loved that diva from Tyria.
    Sig by=ValdaRhian- Be a Pal! (Zero still has "dibs" on my stuff)

That's a good idea. I think a "Games" sticky with links to all the games here would be great.

Moderator Achievements:
    Hmmmm....I'll do that in time, it's a good idea. I don't need too many stickies up but right now, there are only three.
    mv