PC Gaming News
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Lol @ how the information advertised in the picture is labeled right below it.

I don't really like that picture. Definitely does not fit in with the rest of the main page.

I wish they'd bring back the Gallery because now it's a pain the Rear to find screenshots and wallpapers and all that nice looking stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Garreth MacLeod View Post
    I wish they'd bring back the Gallery because now it's a pain the Rear to find screenshots and wallpapers and all that nice looking stuff.
    click screenshots? that is the gallery. THX anet.

This page is offered specifically for Guild Wars players. This is in response to our players' requests, such as those who said:
    • "The new main page is very marketing oriented." It is!
    • "I'd like the Hot Links back, complete with the handy "New" flag that shows when things are updated." You got it!
    • "I want to see more news, rather than a few headlines and a single news post in the bottom portion of the main page." You got that, too.
    • "I can't find the Update Notes or the Network News." Voila!
    The direction we have is for the website's front page to present Guild Wars information for, pretty much, the non-player, the person who visits the site to learn about the game. From there, we want to offer that person the opportunity to become a player. And it's for players that players.guildwars.com is designed. In other words, the Guild Wars main page is for marketing, but for those who want more (like people who play our games), we have this new player page that will ultimately be an entire section. The section will offer lots of content and will be flagged to show when things are updated such as update notes, community news, the growing fansite roster, and more.

We are discussing changing the name, perhaps, to playernews.guildwars.com or even community.guildwars.com. In the meantime, please do let me know what you think. You see, I'm the one who called the meeting to ask for this page, as a direct result of your feedback about the site redesign, about the frustrations of not having the Hot Links, not seeing as much news, and so forth. We're listening, and this seems like a good way to move forward. With your input, we can improve it even more.

Thanks.
    Gaile Gray
    Community Relations Manager
    ArenaNet

Quote Originally Posted by Gaile View Post
    This page is offered specifically for Guild Wars players. This is in response to our players' requests, such as those who said:
    • "The new main page is very marketing oriented." It is!
    • "I'd like the Hot Links back, complete with the handy "New" flag that shows when things are updated." You got it!
    • "I want to see more news, rather than a few headlines and a single news post in the bottom portion of the main page." You got that, too.
    • "I can't find the Update Notes or the Network News." Voila!
    The direction we have is for the website's front page to present Guild Wars information for, pretty much, the non-player, the person who visits the site to learn about the game. From there, we want to offer that person the opportunity to become a player. And it's for players that players.guildwars.com is designed. In other words, the Guild Wars main page is for marketing, but for those who want more (like people who play our games), we have this new player page that will ultimately be an entire section. The section will offer lots of content and will be flagged to show when things are updated such as update notes, community news, the growing fansite roster, and more.

We are discussing changing the name, perhaps, to playernews.guildwars.com or even community.guildwars.com. In the meantime, please do let me know what you think. You see, I'm the one who called the meeting to ask for this page, as a direct result of your feedback about the site redesign, about the frustrations of not having the Hot Links, not seeing as much news, and so forth. We're listening, and this seems like a good way to move forward. With your input, we can improve it even more.

Thanks.
    Makes sense to me. Thanks Gaile. As far as improvements are concerned... here is what I think could use a push in the right direction.

1). The page being made into a more robust environment, similar to the current homepage, with lots of eye candy for us, and handy dandy player tools.

2). Armor calculator, player tools, etc?

3). An update page with your comments Gaile. For example:

"Hi players, it's me Gaile! I have great news for you today! Next week, we are going to be releasing an update to a few skills as well as some key areas in the game. Didn't mean to get you excited though! /wink :) "

You get the idea, lol. I tried to mimic you, I think I did it decently.

Other then that, I think the page is great. Oh, and auto bookmark button for Firefox and IE would also be great, for those that are not so familiar with bookmarking pages. :)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbonBasedLifeform View Post
    "latest info just for guild wars players!" make it seem like they're suppose to be important and exclusive for us? which just has the same info as the front page..... huh?
    Let me explain that: Instead of having a handful of headlines and just one single news post, we offer a lot of news on the player page, so you can keep up or catch up, on all the latest.

Instead of marketing banners, we have hot links to sections that you have told us are important to you: Update Notes, Network News, Community News, Screenshots, and so forth.

Instead of wondering about changes, you can check the Hot Links and see the "new" flag for about 48 hours, to assure that you can keep up with all that is going on, if you want to do that.

Now, why the tag line, "Just for Guild Wars players?" Because would anyone else really use this level of detail? Would a non-player need update notes? Would a non-player need to see the status of the network? Probably not. So the "Just for Guild Wars players" seems a fair enough title, and a way to show those who are already involved in our game, "Hey, here's the goods that you might want."

I hope that makes sense, and again, we're looking for your feedback and suggestions. I think this is a really good move forward, and hope to hear your ideas, too.
    Gaile Gray
    Community Relations Manager
    ArenaNet

I definitely like the idea and implementation so far.

The www.guildwars.com main page was very nice looking since the last major update but to no use whatsoever to me as a veteran GW player ;)

As soon as I saw it and viewed it for it's nice presentation, I stopped visiting www.guildwars.com !

So yes, good move. As for ideas, those armor calculator mentioned by someone else is a good idea or anything like that.

PS : On a personnal note, although not a problem at all ... is why a different url ? Why not have it on www.guildwars.com/whatever ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaile View Post

Thanks.
    playernews.guildwars.com or community.guildwars.com are both too long and clumsy.

play.guildwars.com maybe

yes, it makes sense. thank you for the explanation.

by the way, i use wiki.guildwars.com for all the info i need when it comes to game updates since Emily updates that sooner and quicker than the Game updates page.