PC Gaming News
    Paradoxicles

Unsupported graphics card!?

I just got GW yesterday and it installed just fine until a message box popped up that said that my graphics card was unsupported! I have an nVidia GeForce 8500 GT card that has 256MB DDR2 RAM and was just wondering if there was any way to play GW with it.
    Last edited by Paradoxicles; 08-08-2007 at 03:45.

Does it let you play the game?
    I have no experience in unsupported cards but maybe it will work just as good as supported graphics card?

EDIT: I'm buying 8600 GT btw :)

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Best advice is to make sure you have the most up to date drivers, and try again. Are you able to play the game anyway? An unsupported graphics card just may mean you may not have access to some of the video options in game.

It is odd that it says your card is unsupported. GW only requires a GeForce 3 series card. That is a GeForce 8 series card that supports DirectX 10.

I would just say make sure you are running the most recent nVidia drivers available for your operating system.

Be sure too that you have the most recent DirectX installed as well:
    DirexcX 9.0c if you are running Win XP
    DirectX 10 if you are running Vista

ADDED:
    Be sure also that your motherboard drivers are up to date. Most motherboards require a special driver for the actual graphics slot IN ADDITION TO the drivers for the video card.
    Last edited by jayeddie; 08-08-2007 at 14:23.

Paradoxicles
    the farthest it gets is the "Connecting to Arena Net" screen. it connects, but then it gives me the error. i'm running it on Linux with Cedega, but im getting ready to dualboot with Windows to see if it works any better.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

TRUE
    I'd have mentioned the Linux thing straight way if I were you. Probably even in the title. You'd get all the LInux guys attention here.

The annoying thing I've found with Cedaga and Guild Wars is that it works a treat if you download the whole game (3.5 gig or there abouts) and then run it. The Guild Wars installer though goes off and downloads the extra 3.49 gig which takes forever.

Get the dual boot going and then you'll be able to play it in either Linux or Windows.

-Art

Paradoxicles
    thanks for the advice. id rather not screw around with Cedega with this game anymore. does it work better in XP or Vista, cause i have both of them on discs.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    In general games work better in XP.