PC Gaming News
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmarshal View Post
    Stop moaning about title grinds and title importance! It's all a reward for working hard not for stupid whining noobs who think they can get something without working for it.
    You are wrong. We are not trying to get something without working for it, we DONT WANT it (i.e. tying of GRIND to game POWER) to exist at all, do you not understand?

The game is now totally based on GRINDING for both looks and in-game power/effectiveness.
    Last edited by DarkSpirit; 13-08-2007 at 20:43.

I agree with Trin Storm on this one. These titles are mostly just vanity. The sunspear, lightbringer or luxon/kurzick skills though decent but not earth shattering and definitely not essential. Not having them doesn't bother me one bit and doesn't even put me below par when compared with someone with maxed titled skills. Weighing in the benefits to the work required, to me it's more in the "go with the flow" category, not "must have".
    ... and God said to John, "Come forth and thou shall receive eternal life in paradise."
    But John came in fifth and won a toaster instead.

- Something funny I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by allinuff View Post
    I agree with Trin Storm on this one. These titles are mostly just vanity. The sunspear, lightbringer or luxon/kurzick skills though decent but not earth shattering and definitely not essential. Not having them doesn't bother me one bit and doesn't even put me below par when compared with someone with maxed titled skills. Weighing in the benefits to the work required, to me it's more in the "go with the flow" category, not "must have".
    In Prophecies days, grinding only gives you a cosmetic advantage, not in-game powers, so the game was still casual player friendly. That was the original philosophy the game was based on. But not now.

If I want to remain competitive, in terms of power in the game, I would have to quit my job and grind like the rest. Otherwise, you wont be as desirable for PUGs in end game areas like DoA and others.

It is not just vanity. Grinding DOES affect in-game powers too nowadays.
    Last edited by DarkSpirit; 13-08-2007 at 20:52.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSpirit View Post
    In Prophecies days, grinding only gives you a cosmetic advantage, not in-game powers, so the game was still casual player friendly. That was the original philosophy the game was based on. But not now.

If I want to remain competitive, in terms of power in the game, I would have to quit my job and grind like the rest.
    Competitive? COMPETITIVE? This is PvE we're talking about! PvE is about co-operation, not competition. Besides, who's honestly going to care about some lousy title and some possibly overpowered skills that are most likely going to make the game a snooze cruise? That 12-year-old in the FoW kit flashing his maxed Asura title and putting down anyone he passes? Stuff him. You are you, not him, and you don't need to be him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Pointless View Post
    Competitive? COMPETITIVE? This is PvE we're talking about! PvE is about co-operation, not competition. Besides, who's honestly going to care about some lousy title and some possibly overpowered skills that are most likely going to make the game a snooze cruise? That 12-year-old in the FoW kit flashing his maxed Asura title and putting down anyone he passes? Stuff him. You are you, not him, and you don't need to be him.
    Tell that to the people wearing 15k armor.

This thread is not about you or me personally so you are going OT. This thread is about the game in general and whether basing the game on GRIND for both cosmetic and in-game powers advantage is right.

Tying Grind to in-game powers is a departure from the original design philosophy of GW and reduces the advantage of being skillful versus having time to grind in real life.
    Last edited by DarkSpirit; 13-08-2007 at 21:00.

I believe he's referring to competition with others of the same class. Say you're an ele with R3 LB and I'm R7. I'm doing 20% more damage than you on paper. Guess who gets that last party slot in DOA?

Then again, DOA is an elite zone where highly competitive people go to (dislike the use of elitist) so naturally every minuscule drop of efficiency will be blown out of proportion.
    ... and God said to John, "Come forth and thou shall receive eternal life in paradise."
    But John came in fifth and won a toaster instead.

- Something funny I heard.

Quote Originally Posted by allinuff View Post
    I believe he's referring to competition with others of the same class. Say you're an ele with R3 LB and I'm R7. I'm doing 20% more damage than you on paper. Guess who gets that last party slot in DOA?

Then again, DOA is an elite zone where highly competitive people go to (dislike the use of elitist) so naturally every minuscule drop of efficiency will be blown out of proportion.
    And there is no in-game advantage to LB ranks then we wont have this problem in the first place!

If they change LB ranks to only give you a glow aura or something cosmetic then the problem goes away.

There has always been competition in PvE as long as people want to stand out from the crowd, there will be competition. Giving in-game+cosmetic advantage to titles promotes this competition even MORE, giving GRIND an even greater importance in the game.
    Last edited by DarkSpirit; 13-08-2007 at 21:07.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    And there is no in-game advantage to LB ranks then we wont have this problem in the first place!

If they change LB ranks to only give you a glow aura or something cosmetic then the problem goes away.
    No it wouldn't. You'd still get bereft-of-brain-cells players still discriminating against the title because they think Mr. LB7 is a superior player to Miss LB3. And there are more bereft-of-brain-cells players than you would like to think.

No it wouldn't. You'd still get bereft-of-brain-cells players still discriminating against the title because they think Mr. LB7 is a superior player to Miss LB3. And there are more bereft-of-brain-cells players than you would like to think.
    Not true. 15k armors have been around since Prophecies and PUGs have not generally favor 15k armor over 1.5k armor.

People do know the difference between what is cosmetic versus what is not.

Achievements:
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Not true. 15k armors have been around since Prophecies and PUGs have not generally favor 15k armor over 1.5k armor.

People do know the difference between what is cosmetic versus what is not.
    Kamadan. Euro English. Long before it became Common and long before the PvE skills were introduced. Some random eejit with LB7 hurling abuse. I intervene - basically told him to shut up - and he noticed I was displaying *tries to remember* the second wearable level of Sunspear. Seconds later he starts saying he was a superior player to me because he had LB7 and I didn't, and that I would never be "as good as him". Even without the little boost to his stabbity in combat, he would still be doing that.

Lets not also forget that even Survivor seems to go to the heads of some. I was put off Unwaking Waters for a few months because of an incompetant Survivor Monk spamming "omg" and hurling abuse instead of doing his job.