PC Gaming News
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 116
  1. #71
    GWOnline.Net Member allinuff's Avatar
    Posts

    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointless View Post
    No it wouldn't. You'd still get bereft-of-brain-cells players still discriminating against the title because they think Mr. LB7 is a superior player to Miss LB3. And there are more bereft-of-brain-cells players than you would like to think.
    The problem is, if I'm the party leader, how do I tell, you have more brain cells than Mr. LB7? I can't. The safe route for the party would be to pick Mr. LB7 simply because on paper, he can generate 20% more damage than you do.

    But really. This area shouldn't be made a benchmark to determine if titles do provide any substantial advantage. As far as I can tell, this is the only area where titles matter at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointless View Post
    Kamadan. Euro English. Long before it became Common and long before the PvE skills were introduced. Some random eejit with LB7 hurling abuse. I intervene - basically told him to shut up - and he noticed I was displaying *tries to remember* the second wearable level of Sunspear. Seconds later he starts saying he was a superior player to me because he had LB7 and I didn't, and that I would never be "as good as him". Even without the little boost to his stabbity in combat, he would still be doing that.

    Lets not also forget that even Survivor seems to go to the heads of some. I was put off Unwaking Waters for a few months because of an incompetant Survivor Monk spamming "omg" and hurling abuse instead of doing his job.
    I would probably /rank in his face to shut him the hell up. :P
    Last edited by allinuff; 13-08-2007 at 20:19.
    ... and God said to John, "Come forth and thou shall receive eternal life in paradise."
    But John came in fifth and won a toaster instead.

    - Something funny I heard.

  2. #72
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    The Pointless's Avatar
    Server

    Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

    Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Posts

    10,730
    Quote Originally Posted by allinuff View Post
    The problem is, if I'm the party leader, how do I tell you have more brain cells than Mr. LB7? I can't. The safe route for the party would be to pick Mr. LB7 simply because on paper, he can generate 20% more damage than you do.
    I was talking about if the LB effect was never in place with that comment.

  3. #73
    GWOnline.Net Member allinuff's Avatar
    Posts

    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointless View Post
    I was talking about if the LB effect was never in place with that comment.
    Ahh...

    In that case I wouldn't bother with LB ranks in party selection. But like you say, there are those type of people around. If that's the case I wouldn't feel it's my lost for not getting accepted anyway.
    ... and God said to John, "Come forth and thou shall receive eternal life in paradise."
    But John came in fifth and won a toaster instead.

    - Something funny I heard.

  4. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointless View Post
    Kamadan. Euro English. Long before it became Common and long before the PvE skills were introduced. Some random eejit with LB7 hurling abuse. I intervene - basically told him to shut up - and he noticed I was displaying *tries to remember* the second wearable level of Sunspear. Seconds later he starts saying he was a superior player to me because he had LB7 and I didn't, and that I would never be "as good as him". Even without the little boost to his stabbity in combat, he would still be doing that.
    And tying titles/grind to actual in-game powers ENCOURAGES such behavior in people, so it sounds like you are agreeing with me.

  5. #75
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10K Posts1,000 Posts
    The Pointless's Avatar
    Server

    Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

    Veritas Invictus [TRUE]
    Posts

    10,730
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSpirit View Post
    And tying titles/grind to actual in-game powers ENCOURAGES such behavior in people, so it sounds like you are agreeing with me.
    Wrong again.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointless View Post
    Kamadan. Euro English. Long before it became Common and long before the PvE skills were introduced. Some random eejit with LB7 hurling abuse. I intervene - basically told him to shut up - and he noticed I was displaying *tries to remember* the second wearable level of Sunspear. Seconds later he starts saying he was a superior player to me because he had LB7 and I didn't, and that I would never be "as good as him". Even without the little boost to his stabbity in combat, he would still be doing that.

  6. #76
    GWOnline.Net Member Trin Storm's Avatar
    Posts

    1,864
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSpirit View Post
    I happen to agree with Fay. Everything that gives an advantage in the game is compelling enough even if you can complete the game without using that advantage.

    Even the PvE side of this game is alot more competitive than what you and others realize. Think about the number of people going for 15k armors and rare skins even though they are not needed to complete the game too. People DO want to stand out from the crowd in this game and the SS and K/L skills are a practical means to do that.

    TNTF at legendary spear marshal on a Paragon has 35% damage reduction for the party and 60 party wide healing for 10 seconds or more. It is spammable for a Paragon. It is a significant PvE advantage.

    Nowadays grinders dont just look good with their armor/skins/titles, they are actually MORE EFFECTIVE in the game as well. All in all, skills are becoming less important while grind is becoming all that is important to BOTH look good and be really powerful in this game.

    And the ability to GRIND is based on lifestyle, not skill. The more free time and fewer responsibilities you have in real life, the more time you have to GRIND in the game. Grinding is also very boring and mind numbing, so those who dont use their brains much for creativity would be able to take the grind better. The more you grind the more bored of the game, you feel.
    Its all choice - you decide you want to get 15k armor so you gather money and resources. You decide you want some title skill - then you get the ranks - however its still optional. Being that you are not going against other people - sure someone I don't know may have an advantage as they play a mission compared to me. So what - they could by the same token have a more effective build as well. Or better regular skills unlocked.

    Nothing in my gameplay is hampered by these skills. How long have I read this board (and felt it myself) where great balanced skills in pve are trashed because they are not balanced in pvp? Well now we have great skills in pve that can't be touched by a pvp balance. Great - and like anything in ANY game - you have to go earn them. No you want to talk about the faction totals needed being excessive - I'm all ears, but the concept as a whole makes since and is no more grinding than trying to unlock skills, get elites, greens or 15k armor. And its what you make it. Its all self imposed grind. Optional to the last.

  7. #77
    How do you know that if LB rank doesn't give a in-game advantage that he will or will not do that? You are merely theorizing.

    But looking at the PUG preference in the 15k armor versus 1.5k armor situation. PUGs generally are able to tell the difference between what is cosmetic and what is not.

  8. #78
    GWOnline.Net Member Ylistra's Avatar
    Posts

    248
    All the PvE skills are brutally effective at very low ranks. If a party's success or failure is hinging on the fact that you have a Rank 7 instead of a Rank 3... you have bigger problems to worry about.

  9. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Ylistra View Post
    All the PvE skills are brutally effective at very low ranks. If a party's success or failure is hinging on the fact that you have a Rank 7 instead of a Rank 3... you have bigger problems to worry about.
    No they are designed to be brutally effective at Rank 7 but not at low ranks.

    The fact is at Rank 7, PvE becomes brutally simple.

  10. #80
    GWOnline.Net Member tommynj's Avatar
    Posts

    643
    We have over a year to wait for Guild Wars 2. People who like playing the game want things to do to keep them busy. I have no problems with titles. I myself am not a major fan of tiles but yet I understand I am not the only one who plays this game.

Posting Permissions

Posting Permissions

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off