PC Gaming News

Poll: What option do you think is best?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

[Dev Update] Gladiator Titles -- Proposed Changes

Within a few weeks we will be implementing a system that takes action against players who continually leave prior to the end of battles in PvP. This has been requested for quite some time, so we hope it addresses the problem. However, we also wish to ensure that when the anti-leaver system is implemented, players are not in a position where they feel we are punishing them for using the "best way" to get points towards the Gladiator title (i.e., continually leaving groups until you get into one that has a reasonable chance to get 10 wins in a row.) The way we hope to accomplish this is to reward players for each win or for smaller winning streaks so players are more concerned about "Can we win this fight?" rather than "Can we win this fight and the next 9 fights?" Our hope is that players would then be more likely to at least finish the battle they are on before returning to the outpost if they decide to join a different team.

The intention of this change is not to make the Gladiator Title easier to achieve. Rather, the designers are simply trying to change the way one acquires that title so that the system no longer punishes, or wastes the time of, those who stay on a team that is unlikely to have long winning streaks. The required points-per-rank in the title track would be increased to reflect the increase to the amount of points being given, and current title holder's number of Gladiator Points would be increased proportionately as well.

Here are three proposals for the new Gladiator Title System:

Proposal 1
    More regular progess:

Every win gives you 1 point.
    Players get points for streaks. Players get 5 points for each 5 consecutive wins.
    Updating Current Title Holders:

Multiply current player points by 30.
    Multiply each rank by 20
    Proposal 1 Details:

Title 1: 500 points; Gladiator
    Title 2: 1000 points; Fierce Gladiator
    Title 3: 2000 points; Mighty Gladiator
    Title 4: 3360 points; Deadly Gladiator
    Title 5: 5600 points; Terrifying Gladiator
    Title 6: 9320 points; Conquering Gladiator
    Title 7: 5500 points; Subjugating Gladiator
    Title 8: 25920 points; Vanquishing Gladiator
    Title 9: 43200 points; King's Gladiator
    Title 10: 72000 points; Emperor's Gladiator*
    Title 11: 120000 points; Balthazar's Gladiator*
    Title 12: 200000 points; Legendary Gladiator*

Proposal 2
    Every 5 wins gives you 1 point
    Every additional 5 consecutive wins gives you 2 points.
    Updating Current Title Holders:

Multiply current player points by 4
    Multiply each rank requirement by 3

Proposal 2 Details:

Title 1: 75 points; Gladiator
    Title 2: 150 points; Fierce Gladiator
    Title 3: 300 points; Mighty Gladiator
    Title 4: 504 points; Deadly Gladiator
    Title 5: 840 points; Terrifying Gladiator
    Title 6: 1398 points; Conquering Gladiator
    Title 7: 2325 points; Subjugating Gladiator
    Title 8: 3888 points; Vanquishing Gladiator
    Title 9: 6480 points; King's Gladiator
    Title 10: 10800 points; Emperor's Gladiator
    Title 11: 18000 points; Balthazar's Gladiator
    Title 12: 30000 points; Legendary Gladiator

Proposal 3

Every 5 wins gives you 1 point
    Every additional 5 wins gives you a bonus point (plus the original 1 for 5 wins). 10 wins = 2 total points, 15 = 3 total points, etc. This would be capped at 3 or 4 for every 5 win streak to keep it from getting out of control.
    Multiply current points by 5
    Multiply each rank by 4
    Proposal 3 Details:

Title 1: 100 points; Gladiator
    Title 2: 200 points; Fierce Gladiator
    Title 3: 400 points; Mighty Gladiator
    Title 4: 672 points; Deadly Gladiator
    Title 5: 1120 points; Terrifying Gladiator
    Title 6: 1864 points; Conquering Gladiator
    Title 7: 3100 points; Subjugating Gladiator
    Title 8: 5184 points; Vanquishing Gladiator
    Title 9: 8640 points; King's Gladiator
    Title 10: 14400 points; Emperor's Gladiator*
    Title 11: 24000 points; Balthazar's Gladiator*
    Title 12: 40000 points; Legendary Gladiator*

The current Gladiator Title Track
    Title 1: 25 points; Gladiator
    Title 2: 50 points; Fierce Gladiator
    Title 3: 100 points; Mighty Gladiator
    Title 4: 168 points; Deadly Gladiator
    Title 5: 280 points; Terrifying Gladiator
    Title 6: 466 points; Conquering Gladiator
    Title 7: 775 points; Subjugating Gladiator
    Title 8: 1296 points; Vanquishing Gladiator
    Title 9: 2160 points; King's Gladiator
    Title 10: 3600 points; Emperor's Gladiator
    Title 11: 6000 points; Balthazar's Gladiator
    Title 12: 10000 points; Legendary Gladiator
    Please provide feedback! These ideas are not set in stone, nor are the specific numbers associated with the proposals. Please discuss this, offer suggestions for tweaks to the numbers, or offer alternative ideas. Keep in mind that players who leave battles prematurely will be punished, so we are looking for a system that encourages players to stay in battle, or at least a system that does not reward those who leave until they find a team that suits them. We will accept your input on this discussion page. Thank you for your input.
    Not sure when it was put on wiki because there is no date but I havn't seen a thread so...

great news about the anti leaver system though
    Last edited by yakslappin; 13-08-2007 at 21:24.

The first proposal is the best.

evillorderic
    I have to agree, I like number one as well. People will really feel like they are getting something with this change, while those that already have the title wont be shafted. It's also good to know that the higher the level in the title, the harder it gets. Mmmm proportions.

I'm on course to be a Legendary Gladiator in 2037.

I like the first proposal best.

Pro:
    - It will take care of the huge leaver problem. Cause now most people are only trying the fight if they have a good team. The leaving will be less, if you ask me.

Against:
    - It cheapens the title. I mean, if I have nothing to do I might as well farm some points in the random arena and gain some points. I think the max. tier of 200.000 is not enough in that case to make the maxed title worth something.

I also like the 1st proposal, it will feel nice getting something for a few RA's even with the loss after 7-8 matches

This one: Today, 19:16

One you posted: Today, 19:17

Andrew Patrick ^^

GWOnline.Net Member NeferJackal's Avatar
    My vote is for the first proposal as well. Will make it a lot easier to attain ranks, if you can win battles. It is so painful to get to the tenth battle and loose, and you have thusly made no progress.

I like #1 because it will let me spend 15 min and get something for it. As is I don't play if I only have 15 min as I can't really do anything in that time. I vote for #1

#2 seems more in the spirit of the current track.

Also when you try and "punish" leavers, please consider that in quite a few matches I have been in, they can go for 30+ min. Please don't punish us for not wanting to sick out those long matches even when we have a guy on our team that decided to run around for 20 min while he has no rez and the rest of us are dead. Sometimes the game is lost and people just grief you to too long.