PC Gaming News
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    and my version about the dwarves

Spoiler

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I am not so sure about some of the conclusions made in the posts here. I have here translated verbatim 2 passages from the Taiwanese manual. Bear in mind that the Chinese language ( Mandarin, the written form ) is not very precise and a lot of things can be translated in different ways. For example, the dwarfs' Great Protector can be translated as Great Guardian, and judging from the Tome of the Rubicon, can be translated as the Great Creator. In other words,God ( with capital G ) as the Christians know it.
    Yes, you are correct about the Mandarin language, however, what laven's translations contain that your's lack is context. We are able to know that the Great Protector/Guardian/Creator is the Great Dwarf because most of these things are attributed to him at some point. He is the protector of the Dwarves, and their creator god. So it's true, that it can be ambigious, but when placed into context, it makes more sense.

Verbatim translations of languages rarely make sense for the reason that languages were not made with translation in mind (except for a few, like Korean), and because English and Norse, which is what "Dwarf" is from, are not a common root language with Chinese, it is even harder to make a 1:1 translation. In this case, I think it is almost 100% certain that it means the Great Dwarf.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Guild

Memento Vivere, Mystic Spiral
    However, in order to follow them to the Grey Coast, she would still listen to their orders
    Is that perhaps the Tarnished Coast?

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Antonius View Post
    ...I think it is almost 100% certain that it means the Great Dwarf.
    and i will agree with you as there is nthg by the name of "dwarf guardian" so far in the lore of gw, its possible to be a new god or smthg, but i guess its not likely

and yes, its Tarnished Coast, not grey coast, its my mistake ^^
    Last edited by Andrea DS; 15-08-2007 at 16:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea DS View Post
    and i will agree with you as there is nthg by the name of "dwarf guardian" so far in the lore of gw, its possible to be a new god or smthg, but i guess its not likely

and yes, its Tarnished Coast, not grey coast, its my mistake ^^
    lol, the funny thing is it really says Grey Coast in the manual ><.

I believe these lore are originally drafted in English, then translated into Chinese for the manual, it's bad

i think both is ok, it says 灰暗 so its "grey +dull", "tarnished" is indeed a better word, dont u think so?

if it says 灰色 then no doubt itll be "Grey"

note: anet should hire us to do the translation...
    Last edited by Andrea DS; 16-08-2007 at 02:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea DS View Post
    i think both is ok, it says 灰暗 so its "grey +dull", "tarnished" is indeed a better word, dont u think so?

if it says 灰色 then no doubt itll be "Grey"

note: anet should hire us to do the translation...
    I think it's no coincidence that we both thought of "Grey" before "Tarnished".

Had it used "幽暗", or even a phonetic translation this wouldn't happen :P

Quote Originally Posted by Nanashi View Post
    Haven't I been sayin that?
    Congrats on having a theory confirmed Nanashi.
    Spoiler

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    I suppose that all depends on the strength of the Forgotten, and the crossability of the mountains to the south.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||

Quote Originally Posted by Troal View Post
    Congrats on having a theory confirmed Nanashi.
    Spoiler
    Same topic yes -nods- But that's not what I said.

Self-Proclaimed Supporter Of The Mursaat Cause
    "Bloodstone, it keeps going and going and going..."
    IGN: Nanashi Hyuga - The Whirling Fist Sin of Righteousness