PC Gaming News
Page 184 of 368 FirstFirst ... 84134174180181182183184185186187188194234284 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 3672
  1. #1831
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Gorani's Avatar
    Server

    Aurora Glade
    Guild

    [GWO]
    Posts

    8,802
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post
    ... plan to see Fincher's Dragon Tattoo this week.
    Has someone seen it yet?

    Critiques I have skimmed said that Mara was quite good as Lisbeth, but Fincher didn't deviate from the original books, it was kind of dragging along.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."


  2. #1832
    I've seen the original, but never read any of the books. The original 3 movies are okay-ish. The first movie was exciting, up to the point where it just ends abruptly. Atleast with Fellowship of the Ring there was some closure, and it was clear that more movies were needed to tell the whole story. But with the first movie in the original trilogy, its BAM, roll credits. And the finale of the third movie is simply disappointing. In my opinion, a bit overrated.

    In fact, I don't understand the fuss about this whole trilogy. Yes, I know the author tragically died before he could taste his own success. But a lot of women seem to be just all over this trilogy. As if it is the most awesome revenge story ever told. But after seeing the movies, color me unimpressed. I was expecting something a lot darker. I have seen better and sweeter revenge stories.

    Regarding Troll Hunter, I seriously do not understand what people like about that movie either.
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 15-01-2012 at 19:06.

  3. #1833
    Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Gorani's Avatar
    Server

    Aurora Glade
    Guild

    [GWO]
    Posts

    8,802
    I saw all three movies back to back (the extended version that came on German TV last year) and I do not know exactly what was the ending of movie #1 & the beginning of #2. I just remember that the rape scene of Lisbeth (by her legal guardian) did not make sense after #1, as that storyline is picked up in #2.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."


  4. #1834
    Regarding the original millenium trilogy:

    Spoiler
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 16-01-2012 at 14:03.

  5. #1835
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    29,751
    That should all be in spoilers.

    Spoiler
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  6. #1836
    Is this about the new movie, the girl with the Dragon tattoo?

    Saw the trailer here in America compared to the tailer on youtube, dunno if its swedish.

    The American version seems a bit more boring compared to the foriegn ones.

  7. #1837
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    29,751
    I didn't see the American one... but I just don't see Craig as a good fit for the role as we know he's James Bond. Him getting beaten up by noobs is just not believable anymore ;)
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  8. #1838
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I didn't see the American one... but I just don't see Craig as a good fit for the role as we know he's James Bond. Him getting beaten up by noobs is just not believable anymore ;)
    I agree, Craig just isn't the right actor to play a vulnerable journalist. After seeing him as a really tough Bond, its hard to believe this guy would be in any peril from the relatively simple dangers in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I mean, we've seen this guy leap from a crane, tumble down stairs, beat the hell out of someone in a toilet, and keep up with an expert in parcour (urban running). Thats one of the things I loved about Casino Royale by the way, they really don't go soft on Bond in that flick. They really made Craig work hard to make himself a credible Bond. But after all that, the role of a simple journalist?
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 07-08-2012 at 00:26.

  9. #1839
    GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Alaris's Avatar
    Server

    Kaineng
    Guild

    The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Posts

    29,751
    By the way, I find it hard to take seriously all the court "surprises" scenes we regularly see in movies ever since I was explained the concept of disclosure in "My cousin Vinny".
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

  10. #1840
    GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

    Posts

    2,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    Has someone seen it yet?

    Critiques I have skimmed said that Mara was quite good as Lisbeth, but Fincher didn't deviate from the original books, it was kind of dragging along.
    Finally saw it the other night.

    I'm a bit mixed on it. I thought it was a much better translation of the novel than the Swedish version of the films, but I was also kind of left with a feeling that having read the book, the movie didn't offer that much more to the experience. Then again, I have trouble judging book based movies on their own merits and usually find the movie lacking if I liked the book or at least read the book first. They left out some pretty big plot points, but probably they were for the better. What really gets left out though (which is true of most book to movie translations) is the inner dialogue or narrator tells that give a story it's flavor and helps the reader create the story in their own mind (whereas most movies don't leave much room for the viewer to interpret what's going on).

    I thought Craig did a fine job, and I much preferred Rooney Mara's take on Lisbeth Salander to Noomi Rapace's (which was fine, but felt lacking to me as did the whole Swedish version of the 2 films (3rd one wasn't out on DVD at the time and I haven't gotten around to seeing it yet (on the other hand, I thought Noomi was great in the new Sherlock Holmes movie which I just saw last night (who doesn't love multiple embedded parenthetical statements?))))

    4.5/5 stars with the caveat that I felt you would miss a lot if you hadn't read the books before seeing the movie and you need to keep in mind this is the first in a trio of movies.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    I've seen the original, but never read any of the books. The original 3 movies are okay-ish. The first movie was exciting, up to the point where it just ends abruptly. Atleast with Fellowship of the Ring there was some closure, and it was clear that more movies were needed to tell the whole story. But with the first movie in the original trilogy, its BAM, roll credits. And the finale of the third movie is simply disappointing. In my opinion, a bit overrated.

    In fact, I don't understand the fuss about this whole trilogy. Yes, I know the author tragically died before he could taste his own success. But a lot of women seem to be just all over this trilogy. As if it is the most awesome revenge story ever told. But after seeing the movies, color me unimpressed. I was expecting something a lot darker. I have seen better and sweeter revenge stories.
    As for the ending, I don't think that's necessarily fair.
    Spoiler


    I think the appeal of the books to women is how well it describes the many ways that women are abused in society while still having very strong female characters and strong male characters who respect them and aren't threatened by them.

    As for the books' general popularity, the first was a fairly well done thriller, and when you add in the above plus the tragedy of the author, you have a pretty good mix to capture the public's imagination. Most people don't read anymore, so it takes a bit of effort to break into the public's attention span enough to really capture their interest, and once a book does that it can really take off because not only will it usually be a good adventure/thriller, but the general public can feel good about itself for reading something.

    I really liked the first one the best. It seemed the most compelling, the characters weren't perfect but were fun to read about and the bad guy was genuinely bad and interesting. Terrible things happen but good triumphs over evil in the end. I think the second and third books suffered from
    Spoiler


    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    I saw all three movies back to back (the extended version that came on German TV last year) and I do not know exactly what was the ending of movie #1 & the beginning of #2. I just remember that the rape scene of Lisbeth (by her legal guardian) did not make sense after #1, as that storyline is picked up in #2.
    Spoiler


    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    Regarding the original millenium trilogy:

    Spoiler
    Spoiler


    Quote Originally Posted by The Most Interesting Man View Post
    Is this about the new movie, the girl with the Dragon tattoo?

    Saw the trailer here in America compared to the tailer on youtube, dunno if its swedish.

    The American version seems a bit more boring compared to the foriegn ones.
    I really felt the American version was quite a bit better paced and interesting, but it's been a while since I've seen the Swedish version. I did find the ending a bit abrupt [spoiler]in terms of the relationship between Mikael and Lisbeth), but they did have a lot of ground to cover, so I take it as more of a cliffhanger to entice one into seeing part two.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    I didn't see the American one... but I just don't see Craig as a good fit for the role as we know he's James Bond. Him getting beaten up by noobs is just not believable anymore ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    I agree, Craig just isn't the right actor to play a vulnerable journalist. After seeing him as a really tough Bond, its hard to believe this guy would be in any peril from the relatively simple dangers in Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I mean, we've seen this guy leap from a crane, tumble down stairs, beat the hell out of someone in a toilet, and keep up an expert in parcour (urban running). Thats one of the things I loved about Casino Royale by the way, they really don't go soft on Bond in that flick. They really made Craig work hard to make himself a credible Bond. But after all that, the role of a simple journalist?
    I thought he did just fine, though, to be fair, they left most of the "journalist" stuff out of the movie. The key thing about Blomkvist is that he's a good investigator, he's very strong willed and charismatic and is not threatened by powerful/competent women as he's very comfortable in his own skin, so to speak. The big baddie in the movie is quite well skilled and practiced, so if this is the part Alaris and you are referring too, I think it plays very plausibly in the movie.
    Last edited by BladeDVD; 17-01-2012 at 09:17.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •