PC Gaming News
Page 187 of 367 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197237287 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 3670
    Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows - 7/10
    (Decent action movie, but hard to follow, and borderline exhausting camera tricks)

Lets put this up front: I did not see the first movie, and I was not enthusiastic about seeing the second one. A good friend of mine wanted to drag me to this movie before, because he really liked the first one. But thanks to a majority vote back then, we didn't go. This time around, I was outnumbered, and said "what the hell, lets go see it". I gathered up a bit of fake enthusiasm, but I think my friend knew damn well that I wasn't over-excited to see this flick. What follows is a funny anecdote completely unrelated to the movie itself:

Spoiler

We had not the best of seats, slightly off to the side, and a bit too close the the screen to my liking. But it could have been worse. And then it got worse, we were treated to a trailer to Adam Sandlers Jack and Jill. Which is, as Brocks Dub put it "the most unnecessary movie ever made!". If you are one of those viewers that can gather up a few chuckles for that trailer, you might be on par with my friend. But I was screaming at the screen, and my friends were reminding me about Batman and Robin and enjoying the hell out of my torment. This is the most god awful movie ever made, and thats just going by the trailer. I was begging my friends for razers so I could cut my wrists and not sit through the trailer. And I f%&$#g hate Adam Sandler!

Okay, so what about Sherlock Holmes? It is really fast paced, and really loud. The opening explosion nearly blew a couple of 13 year old girls off their seats next to me, yes they were really startled. I got a good chuckle out of that. But the movie is really fast and loud in general. During the action scenes it is really hard to keep track of what is happening, and the slowmotion scenes are exploited to death, to a point where it starts to get annoying. Apparently Holmes is a psychic with super powers, who can instantly gather all the details from his surroundings in a blink of an eye. That part is actually fun, but the way it is shot becomes very exhausting. And there are various scenes where the movie simply broke my suspension of disbelief. I can take for granted that Holmes is a briljant man, with great improvisation skills, but there are some situations which he couldn't possibly figure out: Like a scene where he figures out that there is a secret door behind a wall, based on the way the cellar looks. That just didn't make any sense.

There also is a lot of bromance in this movie, and what is up with that? They are really playing the queer angle a lot in this movie, especially with Holmes dressing up as a woman and lying on top of Watson. I don't know where they were going with this movie, and a lot of times, it seemed the director didn't know either. Everything is just so fast paced, it is hard to keep track of the story. Constantly I tried to remind myself: "Why are they here again?" "What are they after?" "Where are they going now?", and often I didn't knew the answer, it just all moves too fast.

But, I really did enjoy the clever dialogues, and some of the humour. Watson has a few good scenes as well, one in particular which was pretty hilarious near the end. I also liked the way the movie looked in general, they did a decent enough job in trying to establish the time period.

But the movie has a lot of problems. I'm told its not as good as the first movie, I'll assume they are right. There is way too much slow motion abuse, making a lot of action scenes look like a music video. There is not much suspense, and the villain isn't really menacing. Granted, the villain does get a few excellent dialogues, and he is a good villain. But he's not very menacing. The ending wasn't very spectacular, the best parts are in the middle, but I did like the clue near the end. Overall, the movie is very forgettable.

Final verdict: It is a decent action movie, and you'll be entertained. But it's not very good. Minor spoiler regarding the ending:

Spoiler
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 23-01-2012 at 14:24.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    hell ya. looking forward to this one. ridiculous premise but, who cares. you can't go wrong with space ****s.
    I'm bummed out that I wasn't able to work on some of this remotely. I would have loved to have worked on a couple of shots.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I love the Iron Sky trailer... they're not taking it seriously. Which is awesome, I do love a special effects movie, especially with a good sense of humour. MUST SEE.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Speaking of premises, I recall that cranky old movie reviewer dude wot-didn't-like-games-and-stuff once bemoaned that in modern cinema, narrative has been replaced by premises.
    And a perfect example of that would be In Time.
    We turned it off after less than an hour, so it wouldn't be fair to number it, but I'll have you know it irritated the **** out of me from the overexplaining opening narration onwards.
    The closet hipster in me do appreciate the delicious irony of a film about not wasting the time you have left being essentially a waste of time, but it still doesn't make me want to watch it to the end.

Drive was a joy to watch, though. In many ways comparable in style to The American -another film I really liked-, it's your standard thriller narrative, but so much better told, acted and filmed than usual.

7/10
    Last edited by Soulstorm; 27-01-2012 at 17:22.

War Horse - 2011
    Young Albert enlists to service in WWI after his beloved horse, Joey, is sold to the cavalry. Albert's hopeful journey takes him out of England and across Europe as the war rages on.

If your girlfriend likes horses, take her to this and she will cry. It has WWI for the guys, various slices of different war experiences, and shows a young man's journey to manhood. It's pretty sentimental, and perhaps a bit naive, but ultimately worthwhile. 7/10

If nothing else, you get to see Loki from Thor play a good guy. (minor character)

Some more on Prometheus, this next picture:

Spoiler

Look at those giant suits in the background.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    I tried to look at them. Couldn't really focus with the colourful woman in the foreground... EDIT: I knew it! It's Noomi Rapace. I wonder if she gets a "normal" role for once... Not that she wasn't great in other movies, but it seems like she always has to play a victim...

I bet everyone here has seen it already, but I watched Heat yesterday. It's a great movie, with really good actors (Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, ...) and probably one of the best crime movies I've seen lately. I found it hard to see Al Pacino as a cop though, when you're used to see him as Don Corleone. If you're into movies about organised crime, this is a good one! There's a lot more to it than that though, but I'll let you discover that... It's a lot deeper than it looks.
    Last edited by Guided Daggers; 28-01-2012 at 13:11.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

2nd star to the right
    Guild

wouldn't you like to know (maybe not)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    Look at those giant suits in the background.
    Look at the girl with the teased hair.

EDITED

sry double post :(
    Last edited by The Most Interesting Man; 31-01-2012 at 14:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggles View Post
    hell ya. looking forward to this one. ridiculous premise but, who cares. you can't go wrong with space ****s.
    I'm bummed out that I wasn't able to work on some of this remotely. I would have loved to have worked on a couple of shots.

"The World is Sick, and We are the Doctors." - Gotta love that line.

But you have to counter it with this one. xD