9/10

Genre: Crime/Thriller

Starring:

Stephen Baldwin
    Gabriel Byrne
    Benicio Del Toro
    Kevin Pollak
    Kevin Spacey

Short summary - Boat explodes killing many, the only clue lies with one critically injured survivor.

I recommend this film along with American Beauty starring kevin Spacey, another 9/10 film.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    Girl Interrupted

9/10

Very good film exploring depression and other psychological difficulties.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0172493/

---------------------------------------------------------

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

9/10

Another great film akin to the one above, but this one is set in an all male hospital.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073486/

Night Watch

9/10

Russian craziness you will love.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403358/

Day Watch

8/10

More Russian craziness you will also love. Sequel to the above. Please, please, watch them in order.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409904/

----------------------------------------------------------

Taken

9/10

Watch an old guy beat the crap out of people to rescue his daughter? Heck yea, bring on the action.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0936501/

Angels & Demons

I just saw this movie at the theatres and would like to comment on it.

I give this film a 9/10

It is directed by Ron Howard and is based off the book from the controversial author Dan Brown.

Like most films that revolve around conspiracy and religion, this film is highly controversial, though not as bad as the movie the Da Vinic Code.

The film mainly takes place in Italy around the Vatican where the Pope has recently passed away. Harvard University symbologist Dr. Robert Langdon (Played by Tom Hanks) work to solve a murder and prevent a terrorist act against the Vatican. An ancient enemy of the church, "The Iluminati," resurfaces to bring about its own agendas.

The film has a very good cast - starring Tom Hanks, Ewan McGregor, and Ayelet Zurer

I recommend this film for those of you with an eye for conspiracy theories and the notions behind Science vs Religion. It is entertaining, yet thought provoking.

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Inglourious Basterds
    Tarantino (writer/director/genre, you get my drift)
    Runtime: 153 minutes

Premise: A Tarantino flick set in a World War II setting. Think The Dirty Dozen meets Kill Bill meets an old time, multi-chapter classic movie. The "Inglourious Basterds" are an American band of Jewish soldiers who kill Nahtzees in German-occupied France. It's loosely based on some historical concepts, but that's about it. The story introduces several different characters and POVs, then culminates in a final chapter.

Content: A handful of F-Bombs and other course language, but it's not as constant as District 9 or The Departed, etc. One brief sexual scene, literally 5 seconds or so, but no actual nudity. The violence is as brutal as you'd expect from Tarantino, but is only in a handful of scenes.

My random impressions in quote:
    Let it go on the record that, while I'm not usually a fan of his work, this Tarantino piece is more approachable. (likely due to the WW2 setting)

I actually expected more violence, but that's a good area to come up short on. (in comparison to Kill Bill, etc) What was there was thoroughly brutal, and there are definitely bloody scenes, but it wasn't as constant as I'd thought it would be. Why? Because there's actually quite a bit of story in the film, and it was the most entertaining part for me. I would've liked to see more scenes with just the Basterds in action, going around hunting/ambushing, etc, but that's ok.

Good acting, too, I'd say. The characters were eccentric, but endearing. There were a few who were obviously over-the-top, but you'd expect them to be. (Pitt as Aldo, Hitler, etc) Seeing B.J. Novak kind of distracted me, though he didn't get a lot of screen time or lines. Mike Myers also has a ridiculous, but thankfully brief, cameo. He was only on-screen for maybe ten minutes, but I kept waiting for him to say "YEAH, BABEE."

All-in-all, I'd give it a thumbs-up. The German officer Landa was excellent, nearly show-stealing, as well as the girl who played Shoshanna. Pitt is exactly as portrayed in the commercials and trailers. While entertaining, the film benefits from his screen time being modest. My favorite scene is one of the heaviest points of dialogue, and it takes place in a basement bar full of ****s.

Oh boy, where do I start? Well I'll start with a couple I picked up recently:

Knowing
    Science Fiction

Starring: Nicolas Cage

Plot: Fifty years ago, a little girl (Lucinda) has an idea to bury a time capsule that will be placed underground at her newly built school and then dug up 50 years later. Inside, each student is to draw a picture of what they think the future holds. But Lucinda, who's idea it was, doesn't draw a picture - instead she writes thousands of numbers on her piece of paper.

When the time capsule is dug up, Cage's son receives Lucinda's paper full of numbers. Cage later accidentally sets a wine glass on the paper, circling some of the numbers. He writes those numbers on his dry erase board and finds that they say 9/11/01 with a number following that. Google search finds that number - the 2,000+ people that died on September 11, 2001. Cage writes down every single number sequence and Googles all the dates - the numbers are world disaster dates and the deaths that occurred. But the worst has yet to come...

My Review: I don't want to spoil too much, but this is a great movie for a Nicholas Cage fan, sci-fi, end of the world type movies. Strongly recommended! The action isn't too shabby either. Why didn't I give this movie a 10? Well, if you saw the ending, I think you'll get it.

NEXT!

Transformers
    Action

Starring: Shia Lebouf, Megan Fox, Jon Voight

Plot: Based on the old 80's cartoon Transformers, a teenage boy (Sam, played by Lebouf) buys his first car only to discover that it's an alien from another planet. The car transforms into a robot, and it has allies that show up - the Autobots. Why are they on Earth? To retrieve a cube known as the All Spark before their enemies, the Decepticons, do. But of course the Decepticons arrive and revive their leader, Megatron. Sam and the Autobots must work together to stop the Decepticons from taking over Earth.

My Review: I didn't know anything about this movie until my fiance and his best friend watched it. I thought it would be so boring, until I watched it and got hooked on it. While some parts of the movie do drag out and go slowly, the action and comedy combined make up for it. And for all the guys out there, Megan Fox. So all in all a good movie, and if you liked this one, definitely see part 2 (Revenge of the Fallen), as it has even more action and comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tender Wolf View Post
    Transformers
    Action
    Seriously? Michael Bay systematically destroying every fond childhood memory of the old transformer cartoons gets an 9?

Transformers were AWESOME! Transformers 2 less so. But the first one deserves a 9.

EDIT: Also, Knowing is a bad movie that is trying to be Mothman, but fails hard.

Quote Originally Posted by The Praetorian View Post
    Seriously? Michael Bay systematically destroying every fond childhood memory of the old transformer cartoons gets an 9?
    The Praetorian is right. Transformers was an OK (6/10) movie but Transformers 2 was huge pile of sh!t. People say "Oh my God Megan Fox made this movie a 10/10 for being hawt!"

"Holy crap look at those effects this is clearly the best movie ever made!"

Michael Bay doesn't care about acting (casting Shia Labeouf and Megan Fox) or plot, all he cares about is special effects and hot chicks. He's like an 8 year old child.
    Last.FM --- Xfire (My Gaming History) --- Awesome Fight Scene

"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time",- Tyler Durden

Quote Originally Posted by Saetre View Post
    The Praetorian is right. Transformers was an OK (6/10) movie but Transformers 2 was huge pile of sh!t. People say "Oh my God Megan Fox made this movie a 10/10 for being hawt!"

"Holy crap look at those effects this is clearly the best movie ever made!"

Michael Bay doesn't care about acting (casting Shia Labeouf and Megan Fox) or plot, all he cares about is special effects and hot chicks. He's like an 8 year old child.
    Youtube link related.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiHsxQJ9ZOo

Transformers 1 was allright if you set your mind to "hurr durr explosions r good". T2 was a steaming pile of **** which was almost as bad as Dragonball Evolution.

Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

1/10

The last Indy movie has already been criticised for being one of the worst in the series (and a lot of fans don't even want to consider it a part of the original trilogy). But one out of ten? Surely that's a bit harsh? No it isn't, read on.

To understand the level of suckyness of this movie, you needn't even have seen the previous Indiana Jones movies (which I liked for the record, a lot). For those of you not familiar with Indy (for shame), Harrison Ford plays an archeologist who in his spare time hunts lost historical items (such as the holy grail), not for personal gain, but to put it in a museum (where it belongs obviously). While trying to hunt down these objects he frequently runs into our WWII German friends, who of course are after the exact same item too. It's a basic adventure story with a lot of humor thrown in for good measure, and pretty impressive special effects for that time.

Much like the Starwars prequels, Indy 4 feels like a failed attempt to clone the original movies, while ruining it with too much CGI, bad acting, and terrible script writing. It's basically George Lucas doing an impression of Indiana Jones, and failing abysmally.

It starts off with shameless and countless unneeded scenes to help establish the time period. Indy (Ford) is obviously a lot older, and thus the movie feels it needs to establish that this is no longer WWII, it's the time of the cold war.... and it feels it needs to establish this countless times to a point where it quickly becomes very annoying. If the opening with Elvis Presley's Hound Dog wasn't enough, there's KGB agents (that are introduced and never reappear again at all), protests, greasers and a lot more.

Lets skip the complaints about Indy hiding from a nuclear explosion in a frickin' fridge (for now), and the CGI gophers doing a roadrunner impression, and get down to the core of where the movie really fails.

We basically start off with Indy at Area 51, hunting down what is clearly an alien skull (this is all in the opening folks, and in the trailer as well, so this isn't a spoiler). Now if that isn't a tired X-files cliche right there, bear in mind that Spielberg has already directed countless of movie about aliens. You'd think he'd have had enough of it by now. But the real problem is that the movie also ends with aliens. That folks is NOT a spoiler. It starts with aliens, it ends with aliens. There is no revelation, no plot twist, the movie ends exactly as you expect it to end, right from the first scene where we see Indy. The movie then proceeds to spell out to the audience the word A.L.I.E.N.S. because apparently there might be people in the audience who are really thick.

But even with a bad plot and no clever twist, with good characters a movie can atleast be watchable. But throughout this movie, Indy feels more like a backseat driver in his own movie. We don't see him shoot anyone, and even if someone dies it's just by accident.

Now here come possible spoilers:

Spoiler

I recommend you skip this movie. It definately, most certainly, does not belong in a museum. It belongs in a very deep sandpit, not so far from a Russian camp with really thick guards.

(Note: I didn't even mention Mutt swinging through the trees with an army of CGI monkeys while doing the Tarzan yell. By Dwayna, I just wanted to gauch my eyes out. I expected an army of ewoks or Jar Jar Binks to pop up any second.)
    Last edited by Rob Van Der Sloot; 12-11-2011 at 16:36.