PC Gaming News

Poll: How do you feel about the introduction of one-liners to the NPCs?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    GWOnline.Net Member Lais Irideika's Avatar

NPC audible one-liners: yay or nay?

Ok so I haven't seen anyone other than myself expressing their disapproval of the added one-liners that have been attributed to the NPC's. Perhaps that is because I am part of a small minority that doesn't like this at all? I personally always hated these one-liners from NPCs in RPG games, and was loving the fact that GW didn't have those, which, in my opinion, makes it sounds so fake and unnatural, especially when you need to click on that NPC a few times within the same timeframe (or worse, when the NPC is actually part of the storyline, and already is acquainted with you!)

I think the best way to know whether or not I am the only grumpy one about this is to make a poll.

So, do you find it annoying that the NPC's have one-liners now? (i.e. What is your business? Are you lost? May the Gods be with you! bla bla bla). If you like it, why? If you hate it, why?

Edit: Just to be clear, I am NOT referring to the one-liners we have been seeing for a while now over the heads of your NPC party members such as heroes and henchies.

I am referring to the AUDIBLE one-liners that have been introduced with GW:EN, when you speak to a merchant, or any NPC in or out of town. See my examples in bold above.
    Last edited by Lais Irideika; 26-08-2007 at 22:59.

I haven't minded them in the past. But the devs seem to have laid on the cheese for GWEN, extra thick.

Eve: "Just call me Eve of Destruction!"

Gwen: " ... and I'm all out of mossgum!"

Jora: "Good, bad, I'm the girl with the big weapon."

*GAGS*

Are you really serious?

Quote Originally Posted by mojoflux View Post
    Are you really serious?
    I've been playing with mostly H/H this weekend, and yaaaaah, I've actually seen those. >_< *retch*

I'm also half expecting a Norn to quip, "Today is a good day to die!" a la Klingons. It just might be there and I haven't seen it yet.

Are you talking about when you talk to a merchant, the voiced one-liners? I like them. If your talking about the one liners NPC's say when there fighting I don't mind them at all.

GWOnline.Net Member Lais Irideika's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAgOat View Post
    Are you talking about when you talk to a merchant, the voiced one-liners? I like them. If your talking about the one liners NPC's say when there fighting I don't mind them at all.
    I am talking about the actual AUDIBLE one-liners. The new feature that was added.

Quote Originally Posted by jciardha View Post
    I haven't minded them in the past. But the devs seem to have laid on the cheese for GWEN, extra thick.

Eve: "Just call me Eve of Destruction!"

Gwen: " ... and I'm all out of mossgum!"

Jora: "Good, bad, I'm the girl with the big weapon."

*GAGS*
    I do believe those are not audible one-liners. Those are the usual chit-chats we see while in battle. That is not what this poll is about.
    Last edited by Lais Irideika; 26-08-2007 at 22:59.

I like them, except when they're repetitive. For example, Gwen says the exact same thing each time, so navigating her dialogue tree in the Hall of Monuments can be painful. The one-liners said by the Norns at rez shrines also get old really quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lais Irideika View Post
    I am talking about the actual AUDIBLE one-liners. The new feature that was added.

I do believe those are not audible one-liners. Those are the usual chit-chats we see while in battle. That is not what this poll is about.
    I've had voice acting and music off since within a day of buying the game two years ago. I've never liked the voice acting that I heard, and except for occasionally turning on the music out of morbid curiousity, I prefer what I have in WinAmp. And the voice acting just interferes with my own music. Which probably explains why I have no idea what people are going on about.

GWOnline.Net Member Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran6 months registered1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    I like them once, but repeating them each time you go back to the first dialogue menu gets tedious.

I do like them though.

Love hearing them the first time you click on someone, but it gets very irritating very quickly when you hear the same phrase over and over when you're clicking conversation options. Gwen is the worst offender when it comes to repetitiveness for me: she sounds really desperate and pleading, somehow, rather than polite, which is not at all how a mesmer should be IMO. Just remove the repetition when you're choosing options from the same person and it will be splendiferous.