PC Gaming News
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    tehbassist
    Guest

    Cannot connect to ArenaNet..

    Yea, I can't connect to Anet.

    I unblocked the ports on my router and windows firewall..

    I recently had a 3 month subscription that was free to norton..

    Now that it has expired I have been using windows.

    But now I cannot connect to ArenaNet at all..not even to install..[Yes I was being a complete n00b and uninstalled it in attempt to reinstall it]

    Meaning the port is still blocked.

    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    does it work with the firewall turned off?

  3. #3
    tehbassist
    Guest
    Not a bit man.

    It still says Norton is registered and is a firewall..

    Norton=pouring molasseses into an engine as oil..

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by tehbassist View Post
    Not a bit man.

    It still says Norton is registered and is a firewall..

    Norton=pouring molasseses into an engine as oil..
    LOL, I know, ISAs are deplorable resource hogs, Norton is the worst. I much prefer McAfee or Trend, at least you can still do stuff with those running.

    Is Norton still actually on your computer or have you removed it? I know your subscription is expired, but that does not mean the program is not still on your machine and running. Unless it has changed, all the expired subscription means is that you no longer get support and/or updates for it.
    Last edited by jayeddie; 05-09-2007 at 15:49.

  5. #5
    I've been running norton forever and it works fine with GW.

    Make sure you've gone through it and told it you want it to let GW do whatever it wants to.

    Right now I can connect to the server, but cannot actually play the game. When I choose a character it waits a minute then gives me the network error message, lol.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by seamussheridan View Post
    I've been running norton forever and it works fine with GW.

    Make sure you've gone through it and told it you want it to let GW do whatever it wants to.

    Right now I can connect to the server, but cannot actually play the game. When I choose a character it waits a minute then gives me the network error message, lol.
    I'm not saying it won't work, just that you need a hefty system to run alot of the newest versions of ISAs. IMO Norton is the most resource intensive.

    Anyway, back OT... if Norton is in fact still installed, it may be necessary to remove the "allow" command for GW in the firewall's settings then re-allow it when prompted by Norton. Sometimes firewalls decide to block programs that have been updated even though they are supposedly "allowed" to connect. They just don't like change.

    ATM, I don't remember how to change which firewall Security Center looks at to say you are or aren't protected. Either way, it sounds like either Norton is still installed, and trying to protect but something is amiss, or something went wrong when the OP tried to uninstall it and now Security Center is fubarred.

  7. #7
    tehbassist
    Guest
    Yes.

    Norton es muy fubarred.

    I deleted all the registry files, and all possible files in my comp that contain Symantec in the name or Norton.

    But its still saying the firewall is up.

    I'm going to share a subscription with my friend, as long as you keep Norton up to date and pay for it, there's no problems.

    But I may spend the extra ten bucks and get Kapersky. :D

    Kapersky will get rid of all other anti virus programs the same way i did, only it has a program for it.

    I really don't want to reformat though =X

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tehbassist View Post
    Yes.

    Norton es muy fubarred.

    I deleted all the registry files, and all possible files in my comp that contain Symantec in the name or Norton.

    But its still saying the firewall is up.

    I'm going to share a subscription with my friend, as long as you keep Norton up to date and pay for it, there's no problems.

    But I may spend the extra ten bucks and get Kapersky. :D

    Kapersky will get rid of all other anti virus programs the same way i did, only it has a program for it.

    I really don't want to reformat though =X
    That may be your issue. With small programs that aren't very complicated, that can work, but may not always. Unless you know the software you are removing to be malicious, you are almost always better off using the provided uninstaller. The uninstaller will know all registry entries and files/folders to modify and/or delete.

    Unfortunately, simply deleting everything that says "Symantec" or "Norton" will not cut it for something like this. ISAs are heavily intertwined with your O/Ss core functionality. There is much more to them than just registry entries and files on your HDD; you have services, sub-programs and much more that must also be removed. Admittedly, it does all come down to files and registry entries but ISAa use files and folders with unusual names to make it harder for virii, trojans, etc. to find and disable them (for security reasons, I will not elaborate).

    Like I said a moment ago, in general, you are better off using the uninstaller program provided with the software. It will know the names and locations of all registry entries and files so that you get a more complete uninstall.

    I would suggest re-installing Norton (temporarily) then running the uninstall program from "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control panel.
    Last edited by jayeddie; 06-09-2007 at 13:33. Reason: Additional Info added/Clarifications

  9. #9
    tehbassist
    Guest
    I thought about that..

    But I am currently install Kaspersky as we speak..

    So we'll see what happens.

    Thanks :D

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •