PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

How dead is HA? I have proof

Last night, my guild proceeded through Underworld, then skipped to halls for 2 fame. Wait, it gets better.

After our win, we got a No Opposing Party. I've had this happen in halls many times before, though it is uncommon. No big deal, we just waited 12 minutes until the next match...and then

We got a second No Opposing Party.

And a third

And a fourth

And a fifth

Here is an unedited (cropped for size, nothing else) screenshot of my /age before the end of the last wait timer. You'll notice this is not PVE tombs because
    1: There is a Ghostly Hero
    2: There is a Victory Chest
    3: There is a timer saying "Time until next mission starts" instead of "time until returned to outpost"
    4: There is a score on the screen.
    5: Nobody can get a paragon to level 20 and beat tombs in 2 hours 18 minutes, as my /age shows.
    6: Nobody plays PVE tombs (kinda like halls I guess)

We did manage to get opponents after the 5th NoP, but lost because we lost one monk and we fought dual spiritway, which for some reason still exists.

I have permission from everyone whose name appears in the screen to be posted here.

In case you don't know math or are too lazy to figure it out, we were there 12 minutes for the actual battle, every 12 minutes after that = a single NoP. Computers round down when counting time, so 1h 12m = 72 minutes -12 for the battle = 60 minutes of no groups. 60/12 = 5 nops.

Good game anet, now do you believe people hate halls?
    Last edited by shardfenix; 11-09-2007 at 04:04.

yep, that sure was fun...all that waiting around and all

That what happens when you decide to farm scrubs (aka play at dead times).

Please be competitive and VS good teams.

This happens a lot now. Even when I've played at 8 or 9pm CST, we get nops and skip to halls for 2 fame wins most of the time. These hours used to be well within prime time.

Playing earlier you just end up facing thumpers on every map, and skipping to halls anyway.

Good teams in HA is kind of a joke now-days.

My perspective is coming from a rather casual HA player, but I have been doing so for the past 1.5 years, so I hope it makes sense.

Lately, I find it more and more hard to even find teams at the times I can/want to play PvP (which is often not in EU primetime). Yes, I am one of those unfortunate people who often have to play in PUGs because of my wierd playtimes. At the time I am writing this there is only one halfway populated district in International and less than a dozen people currently not in a group already. Both EU and US zones are devoid of activity as usual. This hasn't always been that way, even at this time of the day.

I would think that a lot of that has to do with GW:EN and pretty much everyone playing it atm except the PvP only players of course.

However, find it more and more hard to do organized PvP lately since overall activity seems to decline, particularly in HA. I can only speculate why this is, but one possible explaination might be that there are not too many new players coming to GW in general, so if players quit HA they don't get replaced by a new generation of players anymore (as seemed to be the case in the past). At least my personal impression is that most teams I am fighting these days are decently experienced (which the odd newbie group in between of course). Which could lead to a very high entry barrier for not-so experienced players since they probably won't win many games having to fight R6+ groups all the time - meaning they probably get frustrated and quit. This has been different in the past, since new players came to HA all the time, so when you played enough and got to say R3 you had lots of unranked groups to win against and build experience and motivation from which made you stay.

If my speculation has some ground it might be not easy to do something about it. In my opinion HA has existed in the past by simply drawing in the same amount of new players as it lost (my guild is full of decently ranked ex-PvPers who tired out of HA and quit it, so this definitely happened). At this stage of the GW lifecycle this model no longer works. Don't ask me what could be done to make the people stay, I have no clue either. I personally still like HA lots, except that it's increasingly hard to even find people for teams if you don't belong to a huge network of HA players (which most casual players obviously won't have).

As I said I have no clue about the state of the high-end section of the PvP community since I don't belong to that segment, but in my opinion that's what is happening in HA in general atm.
    Laura Fantus - Leader, Angel Sharks [DVDF], Co-Leader of The DVDF Alliance of Guilds

IGNs: Laura Fantus (Me), Laylah Brightheart (P), Dariah Nightshadow (N), Julia Blazingstar (E),
    Jennifer Swiftwood (R), Jessica Ironfist (W), Danielle Fantus (Mo), Aiyana Shekoba (Rt), Becky Backstabber (A), Rheanna Yaron (D)

Gave up HA after multiple 1 hour waits in Vault or 2 fame hall skips. I do look forward to another double fame weekend... so I can get my "you know what" and never have to think about zoning in that outpost again.

- Vela
    Vela - IGN: Vela Iviana [Club]

Where man in all his truest glory lives,
    And nature's face is exquisitely sweet;
    For those fair climes I heave impatient sigh,
    There let me live and there let me die.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura Fantus View Post
    My perspective is coming from a rather casual HA player, but I have been doing so for the past 1.5 years, so I hope it makes sense.

Lately, I find it more and more hard to even find teams at the times I can/want to play PvP (which is often not in EU primetime). Yes, I am one of those unfortunate people who often have to play in PUGs because of my wierd playtimes. At the time I am writing this there is only one halfway populated district in International and less than a dozen people currently not in a group already. Both EU and US zones are devoid of activity as usual. This hasn't always been that way, even at this time of the day.

I would think that a lot of that has to do with GW:EN and pretty much everyone playing it atm except the PvP only players of course.

However, find it more and more hard to do organized PvP lately since overall activity seems to decline, particularly in HA. I can only speculate why this is, but one possible explaination might be that there are not too many new players coming to GW in general, so if players quit HA they don't get replaced by a new generation of players anymore (as seemed to be the case in the past). At least my personal impression is that most teams I am fighting these days are decently experienced (which the odd newbie group in between of course). Which could lead to a very high entry barrier for not-so experienced players since they probably won't win many games having to fight R6+ groups all the time - meaning they probably get frustrated and quit. This has been different in the past, since new players came to HA all the time, so when you played enough and got to say R3 you had lots of unranked groups to win against and build experience and motivation from which made you stay.

If my speculation has some ground it might be not easy to do something about it. In my opinion HA has existed in the past by simply drawing in the same amount of new players as it lost (my guild is full of decently ranked ex-PvPers who tired out of HA and quit it, so this definitely happened). At this stage of the GW lifecycle this model no longer works. Don't ask me what could be done to make the people stay, I have no clue either. I personally still like HA lots, except that it's increasingly hard to even find people for teams if you don't belong to a huge network of HA players (which most casual players obviously won't have).

As I said I have no clue about the state of the high-end section of the PvP community since I don't belong to that segment, but in my opinion that's what is happening in HA in general atm.
    pretty much sum it up. Of course anyone who doesn't have their head prementaly incased sand should have realized this at least a year and a few months ago... sad shardfenix just realized HA was dieing yesterday....

The problem stemmed from very very beginning...since beta I would say. In early days, the game was little known to most. But, early starters took advantage of existing loopholes and ranked up thus, introducing elitism. However, ANET had several several chances to fix it.

The main thing that killed PvP is "so-called" PvP players community; their attitude played the biggest role supported by ANET's stupidity in promoting the idea PvP>>PvE. ANET should have embraced the fact from the get-go that both are two different styles of gameplay and cater to these two communities differently but, fairly. They tried to cater to the both the same way and resulted in a failure.

- Vel
    Vela - IGN: Vela Iviana [Club]

Where man in all his truest glory lives,
    And nature's face is exquisitely sweet;
    For those fair climes I heave impatient sigh,
    There let me live and there let me die.

what Anet should do is a weekend event which put HA back to the way it was at the start of guildwars. now that there won't be any new professions we might be able to see what needs doing to improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by mmorpg man View Post
    what Anet should do is a weekend event which put HA back to the way it was at the start of guildwars. now that there won't be any new professions we might be able to see what needs doing to improve it.
    I don't really see how the new proffessions caused the bad HA mechanics, that would of come down to bad maps, or objectives, which encourage the use of gimmick builds (Sorry if Im wrong, as I know next to nothing about HA). And living in the past is for wimps anyway.