Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]

GW, Vista and Media Center

Ok, this is maybe not of interest to a lot of people, but it was bugging me a lot until I found out what was happening:

Installing GW on a Vista Home Premium computer leads to a funny "side effect". It automatically adds the -mce shortcut modifier. This means that everytime you close down the GW client, Windows Media Center launches. Highly annoying, and took me a while to realize what was happening.

i ahve the same problem, a found a folder named "Windows media center files" GW was in that folder, i deletet it..... but its still starting media center :((

.:edit:.
    i thinks it also starts up when your opening gw
    Last edited by ismet; 12-09-2007 at 16:03.

Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    Just to clarify, if you remove the -mce shortcut modifier, it does not happen anymore.

did not happen to me on Vista Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Lensor View Post
    Ok, this is maybe not of interest to a lot of people, but it was bugging me a lot until I found out what was happening:

Installing GW on a Vista Home Premium computer leads to a funny "side effect". It automatically adds the -mce shortcut modifier. This means that everytime you close down the GW client, Windows Media Center launches. Highly annoying, and took me a while to realize what was happening.
    You rule! you just saved me hours on hours of searching for a solution :)
    Guild Wars isn't just a game, it's a way of Life!!

~~ Sir Trippy W/Mo20 ~ Miss Trippy E/Mo20 ~ Lady Trippy Me/N20 ~ T Ri P P Y Rt/?10 ~ The Trippy A/Mo20 ~ Trippivol X [PvP] ~~
    ~~ Lord Trippy R/Mo20 ~ Trippivol Defendo Mo/Rt20 ~ T R I P P Y Ne/Mo20 ~ Tr I Pp Y E/Rt20 ~ Lord Trippivol W/?6 ~~

This only appears to happen if you don't do a standard installation. If you let the game install using its defaults then you don't get a desktop shortcut at all!

I didn't get a desktop shortcut at first. I did do a custom install and after that copied the shortcut from the GW folder to the desktop.
    Guild Wars isn't just a game, it's a way of Life!!

~~ Sir Trippy W/Mo20 ~ Miss Trippy E/Mo20 ~ Lady Trippy Me/N20 ~ T Ri P P Y Rt/?10 ~ The Trippy A/Mo20 ~ Trippivol X [PvP] ~~
    ~~ Lord Trippy R/Mo20 ~ Trippivol Defendo Mo/Rt20 ~ T R I P P Y Ne/Mo20 ~ Tr I Pp Y E/Rt20 ~ Lord Trippivol W/?6 ~~

If you do a default standard install of GW under vista then it gets added to the 'Games' folder and its shortcut appears in that pane one your start menu. A shortcut an App in the Games folder is a different beast to a shortcut as you know it from XP. The shortcut has no cmd line what-so-ever so it is impossible for Vista to add a -wmc switch to a non-existent command line.

If you do a custom install and create your own desktop shortcut then all bets are off.

Ah Notorious BOB - Shortcuts in the games folder can have switches on them just fine. Most of my installed games have switches on the shortcuts in the games folder for various reasons. It did however, with a default install using the gwsetup.exe client on Vista not add a -mce switch to it.

Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    Exactly how it happens I think is of less importance. The point is that I did not enter the -mce modifier, Vista did, by some mechanism unknown to me. So if someone has a problem with media center opening with GW, this is the cause.