PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tarnished Coast and Eye of the North

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am aware there's currently a thread already on "who built the Eye", but I've used that to start and carry on with some finding from the Tarnished Coast.

Who built the Eye of the North?
    So, looking into the EotN and who could have possibly built it.
    Scratching:
    - Humans, Dwarves and Asura for Sure (cutscene: Arrival at the Eye)
    - Norn (They're not really the building type)
    - Charr, Tengu, Centaurs and other semi-human critters (never showed the ability to build anything bigger than houses and/or prisons)

So what's left?

Let's look at the architectural composition of the Eye.

We basically have 2 big Towers, the entry tower itself and the Hall of Monuments with the actual Eye (the Scrying pool) inside it.
    The Scrying pool itself is a powerful piece of magic. It's real purpose is currently unknown. From the looks of things, it shows images of great dangers that currently threathen Tyria. It also seems to work only for Ascended people.

Both towers of the Eye are decorated with Bird heads, similar to the ones found in the Tarnished Coast, on Asura Buildings.

Wait, I thought the Asura didn't built it. They haven't. When they resurfaced, they basically started restoring and inhabiting building
    left over by another dissappeared race. They didn't even built a single thing (see later). Due to this fact, we can conclude that whoever built the EotN, also had a settlement in the Tarnished Coast.
    It goes even beyond that, as the Central Transfer Chamber, which according to them, the Asura set up, also has a large quantity of these bird statues.
    It looks as though the Asura stumbled upon the "Gate technology" left over by another race.

Tarnished Coast - Asura plunderin' away

The Asura have always been drawn to magic. They just love it. The Buildings along the Tarnished Coast are also filled with Magic. However, this isn't Asura Magic. It's source lays somewhere else.
    Helping this fact is the following image, found at the Tarnished coast:

(note: My Ancient Mayan is rusty, so I don't know what it means...)
    (second note: This is the second Dragon pic I found besides Rodgort :P)

It shows a (Serpentine) Dragon and a Man. This shows that the original structures of the Tarnished Coast were originally manmade.
    The Dragon also explains why the same bird statues can be found in the CTC, namely the original purpose of the CTC would have been to guard Primordus (Note: Asumption on the name, as the real Primordus is unrevealed thus far).

This basically points out that the Asura built pretty much nothing since they surfaced. Not even the Rez shrines.
    As you can see here, they show the same Dragon with Man picture. Looking on the ground, We see the this, which can also be found on the main hovering cube in the center of Rata Sum.

Basically every building in the Tarnished Coast can be linked this was, showing that there's really nothing Asuran at all.

Unknown Race synopsis
    So what do we have:
    - Human(oid) creatures built the Tarnished Coast Settlements and have influenced/built the EotN.
    - They have knowledge of Levitation
    - They have knowledge of Gate Technology
    - They seem to have a thing with Birds
    - They were on "Guard" duty.
    - They're strong enough magic wise to construct the Scying pool

Hypothesis

Could it be that the Tarnished Coast Settlements were early Mursaat settlements?

Mursaat are humanoid, they're extremely strong Spellcasters, they're known to have been guarding Abaddon's Mouth in the past.
    Dark Oak reffers to them as Carrion Birds, birds of prey.
    They seem to posses the ability to levitate, allong with being able to animate and levitate the Jade. They also posses a similar Gate Technology like the Asura, so it's possible the Asura stumbled upon the old Mursaat Technology and managed to make it work for themselves.
    There's also a Mursaat presence in the Tarnished Coast, and supposedly there still is. There should be a Mursaat city somewhere along the Tarnished Coast (supposed to be), as well as the Mursaat's ability to scatter into facets and hide themselves,
    which several of them did to escape the Titans.

So what supposedly happened to the Mursaat to leave the Tarnished Coast and the CTC? Simple, they got another job offering. When they were ordered to guard Abaddon and the Titans, there was no need for bases on both the RoF and the Tarnished Coast, seeing as how they're very close to one another. The CTC was abandonned as well since it didn't really look like that big statue would start moving any time soon, and with their Gate Technology, they'd be able to check up on it whenever they wanted.
    Well, until the Asura came anyway...to stay Unseen, they couldn't check up on Ol' Primordus anymore due to Magic-hungry bunnies.

This type of structures is still very different from what we find on the Ring of Fire, and the Temples of Balthazar and Grenth. However, from the picture shown, this seems to be from before Mursaat became the hovering golden spellcasters we all know (and in some cases love). It is possible that the structires on the RoF never were made by the Mursaat at all, or that over the course of time their ways of building things changed. After all, the material used in the RoF is unlike any other material found anywhere else on Tyria. If the RoF's defenses are indeed Mursaat built, it's likely that the material used was forged by some kind of advanced magic, in which the Mursaat even outclass the Asura.

Finals
    Anyways:
    Factbased conclusions:
    - Asuran Architecture is unknown so far, though some Underground architecture from Dungeons might be theirs.
    - Whoever built in the Tarnished Coast is also responsible for the Eye of the North and the CTC.
    Hypothesis:
    - Rata Sum and all other buildings along the TC are built by the early Mursaat.

Feel free to comment, discuss, etc...

Sounds good, always looking for ways to tie in the Mursaat. If this is true, I'd like to see confirmed Asuran architecture, but I guess as with other things, that'll be GW 2 -_- Closest thing to that will probably be in Oola's Lab, I suppose.

I really do think that the hovering cube is Asuran, or at least Asuran-commandeered technology, because they seem to completely understand it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rata Sum description
    The hub of Asuran activity on the surface world, Rata Sum was quickly and magically erected when the race arrived from their native underground homes. Geomystic generators dot the area, providing free power to the town. Some find the atmosphere within the town uncomfortable, saying you can literally feel the Energy being sucked from the air, but the Asura vow this enchanted technology is "perfectly safe."

So what supposedly happened to the Mursaat to leave the Tarnished Coast and the CTC? Simple, they got another job offering. When they were ordered to guard Abaddon and the Titans, there was no need for bases on both the RoF and the Tarnished Coast, seeing as how they're very close to one another.
    The Ring of Fire and the Tarnished Coast are still quite a distance apart. The Mursaat abandoning their old work is not a satifactory answer to me. They would not leave something that could destroy the world unguarded, and go guard a lesser threat. You also seem to suggest they were working for someone, which I find very unlikely.

GWOnline.Net Member
    Guild

Heroes Etc
    The revelation about the ancient dragons in the PC Gamer article has had me going back through all of the original lore trying to figure out the dragon-gods connection.
    I do remember just reading today that the original human inhabitants of Tyria had access to all magic. That was why the bloodstones were created (The King Doric/Dwayna episode).
    Could it be that these structures were created by them? The first humans before the creation of the bloodstones?

Also, I have seen the bird heads every where throughout GW:EN. Even on tapestries/stained glass in dungeons along with a human in armor and what appears to be one of Abbadon's creations. Is there a connection? Are the bird heads really dragon heads?

So many questions? So few answers?

I think the Mursaat still have to have some connection to the Tarnished Coast. The fact that Rata Sum is an obvious anagram of Mursaat as well as it being near the Ullen River doesn't just suggest Mursaat relations, it screams it at the top of its lungs while banging on the ground with a Mursaat hammer.

I have to agree with you there. That Mursaat city and it's inhabitants are still there. We noticed during the Mursaat Rally that the Unseen Ones are still quite active in Kryta. We just aint seeing them. Now that we have a lot more of Tyria to explore, it's about time we found that damn city.

Quintus, lets get a machete and a cheap Krytan tourguide and lets find that city already. It's probably staring us right in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Van Der Sloot View Post
    I have to agree with you there. That Mursaat city and it's inhabitants are still there. We noticed during the Mursaat Rally that the Unseen Ones are still quite active in Kryta. We just aint seeing them. Now that we have a lot more of Tyria to explore, it's about time we found that damn city.

Quintus, lets get a machete and a cheap Krytan tourguide and lets find that city already. It's probably staring us right in the face.
    Hey, if you're serious, I'm all the willing to pitch in. 6 eyes are better than 4 eyes. Abaddon proved that.

The mursaat does like their gates. I remember the bonus in Iron Mines of Moladune, was to chase a Mursaat Inquisitor before he could reach the gate and flee. And I seem to rembember it also looked like the gate you travel to the Ring of Fire in, from the cutscene in Thunderhead Keep.

And wasnt there more gates in thunderhead keep as well, from where the white mantle and mursaat came from?

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

Blade and Rose [BaR]
    Seems so. The Mursaat seem to have transporter technology on-par with the Asura, albeit operating in a different manner.
    |||Quintus Antonius Adepphius Philologus Tyrianicus Canthacus Elonacus Durheimus|||