PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Luna Halvemoon

GuildWars on mac!

Don't know if it's already posted before, but i managed to get GW running on mac :)

It actually works perfectly fine hehe, except that i haven't found a way to go full screen yet... but it's a start ^ ^

But just some information, i'm not using a real mac, i'm using osx86 which is mac on a pc. But it works just like mac.
    Is there anyone here with the new series of intel macs that can try this technique out for a real mac? it should work though, quite sure of it...

Use the program: CrossOver

Just install the program, copy your guildwars instalation to your mac, make sure you have about 10gb free space and just double click on the gw.exe wait a while and it should pop up with the install screen.

OSX86 is also illegal, and an EULA breach of OSX. You might want to reconsider your post with this in mind.

10gb of free space
    lol macs

OSX86 is also illegal
    That could be disputable. It's sort of like the issue of emulation.

But none of that matters.

The real question is this:

Why would anyone want to play a game on a mac?
    This barren soil
    scorched and stained
    by the blood of soldiers
    left fallen in the rain
    All the light in the world today
    Won't light up the night
    into which I walk away

No more importantly, why would you run OSX on a PC that's far more capable running Windows/Linux, and then run a windows based program on OSX anyways. As for the disputable, running OSX86 on a PC is a grey area, although bordering on the darker side of grey. The main issue is aqquiring the OSX install image, which is usually pirated and most definately illegal.

Luna Halvemoon
    i'm just using it to try out how mac works and if i like it or not. Will most likely buy one in the near future...

just thought i'd share some information.. cause i saw loads of posts about guildwars on mac on forums. I prefer playing gw on my XP instalation as it's much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Panda View Post
    No more importantly, why would you run OSX on a PC that's far more capable running Windows/Linux, and then run a windows based program on OSX anyways. As for the disputable, running OSX86 on a PC is a grey area, although bordering on the darker side of grey. The main issue is aqquiring the OSX install image, which is usually pirated and most definately illegal.
    I agree with Mr. Panda on this point. As far as I'm concerned, discussion of OSX86 is inappropriate for this forum. Further posts regarding it will be deleted.

However, the OP did ask about crossover on a real Mac. I will keep this thread open to discuss crossover on legally owned Macs running Guild Wars.

-T

VMWare Fusion claim DX8.1 gaming on the macs. Given that GW can run fine in DX8.1, its a certainly workable way to run it. I don't know how fast it runs, but I heard its not too slow at all.

Theres also Parallels, and given they say Far Cry, UT2K4 and Homeworld 2 run on their software, it seems they're claiming they can do DX9 gaming. Would be interesting to hear from people using parallels how well it does run.

I have a powerbook so I can't test it but I'm curious to see if it would work. Even on older macs, you could run things like MS SQL server using emulation so I imagine you could run this but it would probably be too slow. Only thing i'm interested in is performance. Anyone?

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Dii/BPA
    Quote Originally Posted by Furinto View Post
    Why would anyone want to play a game on a mac?
    Why wouldn't you? You realize how much better their marketshare would be if Macs (or even Linux) played any decent games natively?
    I guess the other option is upgrading to Vista, and anyone who knows anything about computers realizes what a terrible decision that is.. Unless they work for Microsoft.

Why wouldn't you?
    Because Macs aren't designed for that kind of use. Because no game made after 1995 is designed with Mac hardware in mind. Because Windows can do it infinitely times better.
    This barren soil
    scorched and stained
    by the blood of soldiers
    left fallen in the rain
    All the light in the world today
    Won't light up the night
    into which I walk away