PC Gaming News
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Guild

Memento Vivere, Mystic Spiral
    The Canthan embassy in Ascalon City had stood empty for nearly forty years when it was formally closed by decree of Ascalon’s king. This event went virtually unnoticed by the Canthan empire, as they had already cut off contact with their neighbors to the north. The structure was converted to a temple which was subsequently destroyed by an earthquake, blamed by many on disapproving gods.
    I kinda had to think "Catacombs" there, but I imagine it's too large to be a simple Embassy/Temple.

If this embassy is in Pre, I see two possible spots.

The building Necromancer Muune is in, within the Catacombs. Or the ruined building southwest of Baradin's Estate (where the Bandits are).

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    In Ascalon City according to the PG lore info.

The issue I have with the "In Ascalon City" is that, how can a single building get ruined from an earthquake (For that matter, why are they called earthquakes and not tyriaquakes), seems to me more than just that one building would get damaged, and on top of that, there would be showings of a crack in the ground still. Eh, -shrugs-, the land and building must have been fixed/removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Azazel The Assassin View Post
    T(For that matter, why are they called earthquakes and not tyriaquakes)
    In that regard, why is it called Earth Magic?

DUNDUNDUUUUUUN!

The issue I have with the "In Ascalon City" is that, how can a single building get ruined from an earthquake (For that matter, why are they called earthquakes and not tyriaquakes), seems to me more than just that one building would get damaged, and on top of that, there would be showings of a crack in the ground still.
    That's probably why the people saw it as an act of the Gods; because only that building was destroyed and not the entire city/quarter of the city. Besides, the earthquakes that are the start of the Eye of the North campaign only seem to leave a big hole in the ground, and no cracks or any other damage. We don't know whether the eartquakes in Tyria are something similar to what we have on earth, or whether they are something entirely different. It's a fantasy world after all.

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Stormbluff Isle
    Guild

BaR; Dii
    Earth Magic refers to the soil also known as earth.

For us, Earth refers to the planet named Earth named after the soil that we rely upon for survival.

For them, the soil would be named after the planet, as with all other fantasy books I've read, and the few fantasy games I've played.

For instance, one series, the planet was called Kardia Hodos, they called soil Kardia, not Earth. They called quakes kardiaquakes, not earthquakes. They called magic dealing with the soil Kardia Magic, not Earth Magic. etc. etc.

For them, the soil would be named after the planet, as with all other fantasy books I've read, and the few fantasy games I've played.
    That's assuming we have named the soil over the planet, and not the planet over the soil, which is far more reasonable. Besides, even if that were so common in other fantasy settings, I'm glad Arena Net didn't follow that line of thought, it sounds silly to me.

Erasculio

Quote Originally Posted by Erasculio View Post
    That's assuming we have named the soil over the planet, and not the planet over the soil, which is far more reasonable. Besides, even if that were so common in other fantasy settings, I'm glad Arena Net didn't follow that line of thought, it sounds silly to me.
    I suppose it's preference. But to me, it sounds silly to take soil, rock, and whatnot from Mars or some other planet, and call it earth. I would say the soil is named after the planet more then the planet is named after the soil.